• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    Tea>Screen.
    am too so ner ner ner
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Even if a section of pavement is also designated for cycling, surely the cyclist ought to give way to pedestrians?
      Most of the cyclists who use pavements REGARDLESS of whether it is also a cycle path, are also ill-mannered and cycle in a manner dangerous to all around.
      ANY road user (and this includes pedestrians on the pavement) who obstructs the route for other legitimate users is an ill-mannered slob. Conversations can be a cause of obstruction. If you want to talk to your pal as you both cycle or walk along, when someone can't get past both of you side by side (but could get past one at a time), please take a long enough break from chatting to let them by. As for the occasional driver who stops to chat to a pal (pedestrian, or someone going the other way) where there is no room for anyone to pass, and carries on doing so on seeing someone come along the road.... Don't get me started!

I don't apologise so automatically, and it confuses me when others do! I apologise if I am aware of doing something to apologise for, not otherwise. Apologies for not hearing what I said (from OH) really get me wound up.....
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
        Most of the cyclists who use pavements REGARDLESS of whether it is also a cycle path, are also ill-mannered and cycle in a manner dangerous to all around.
        Erm, most? Or some?

I use the pavement but move over or ride off and back on again when I encounter pedestrians. I just don't want to get killed or knocked over you see.

Comment

Erm, most? Or some?

I use the pavement but move over or ride off and back on again when I encounter pedestrians. I just don't want to get killed or knocked over you see.
          Most (as far I've seen) of those who use ANY pavement, not just those which are so designated. The same ones who CYCLE across a zebra crossing (or one with lights). There are inconsiderate road users in any and every department (cars, lorries, motorbikes, cycles, on foot). Cycling where cycles are not meant to be (even if it's because the road isn't safe for cycling) requires an exceptional degree of consideration for those who have a better right to be there, and those I see doing so (not a great number, but too many) rarely show that sort of attitude.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            Most (as far I've seen) of those who use ANY pavement, not just those which are so designated. The same ones who CYCLE across a zebra crossing (or one with lights). There are inconsiderate road users in any and every department (cars, lorries, motorbikes, cycles, on foot). Cycling where cycles are not meant to be (even if it's because the road isn't safe for cycling) requires an exceptional degree of consideration for those who have a better right to be there, and those I see doing so (not a great number, but too many) rarely show that sort of attitude.
            What do they do then, that non-pavement users don't do?

To be honest, I've never seen a pavement cyclist being inconsiderate, but I've seen road using cyclists kick cars and go through red lights as they obviously don't apply to them...

Comment

My encounter was on a NON-cycle pavement
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                My encounter was on a NON-cycle pavement
                Yeah, so that's 1.

If most cyclists [that cycle on pavements] were rude and obnoxious to everyone around them, I'm sure the government would legislate....my point is that yes SOME might be but not MOST; Most cyclists [that cycle on pavements] are not ill mannered or cycle in a way that is dangerous...some might be but not most....and if most are cycling this way, what exactly are they doing?

Comment

If there's a cycle lane I use it............if there isn't, I use the pavement!

I also go off the pavement at bus stops etc and rarely cycle faster than I could walk. If it's a narrow pavement and I can't get past I go on the road. If small kiddies or pushchairs are about, I go on the road til I get past. I have cycled past numerous police cars and even pushed my luck by overtaking beat bobbies on the path.
                  Up til now I have had no complaints and I'm always curteous and say hello or give a nod.

The government are full of great ideas about getting folks back onto bikes but unfortunately haven't got the roads or the infrastructure to facilitate it.

Maybe cyclists need to educate pedestrians and get away from the old ethos of pavements for walkers only?
                  Last edited by Snadger; 20-08-2010, 07:32 PM.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yeah, so that's 1.
                    Indeed, and my point wasn't even that it was a cyclist - my (initial) point was that I apologised when I wasn't in the wrong and the person I apologised to was in the wrong
                    Last edited by piskieinboots; 20-08-2010, 08:17 PM.
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      ....if there isn't, I use the pavement!
                      and that is wrong - as it a ped using a cycle path without care and attention to cyclists
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Indeed, and my point wasn't even that it was a cyclist - my (initial) point was that I apologised when I wasn't in the wrong and the person I apologised to was in the wrong
                        I know - then it became a 'lets bash every cyclist who cycles on a pavement as most of them are rude and inconsiderate'....when they probably aren't!

Comment

and that is wrong - as it a ped using a cycle path without care and attention to cyclists
                          I drive with due care and attention! Blame the Government for not supplying safe areas to cycle on..............
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Most pavement cyclists are OK. But so few bikes have bells these days ... we walk along towpaths a lot (living in canal country) and you don't always hear bikes coming up behind you. Those who have a bell ring it and we can step aside. Those who don't come up right behind you and then get ratty because we haven't got out of the way. Aaargghh! Get a bell!

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
                              Most pavement cyclists are OK. But so few bikes have bells these days ... we walk along towpaths a lot (living in canal country) and you don't always hear bikes coming up behind you. Those who have a bell ring it and we can step aside. Those who don't come up right behind you and then get ratty because we haven't got out of the way. Aaargghh! Get a bell!
                              I tend to think a bell frightens the life out of people and you may finish up falling IN the canal!

Normally I find a "Scuse please" or just veering around (and giving a wide berth) is sufficient!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                Normally I find a "Scuse please" or just veering around (and giving a wide berth) is sufficient!
                                Yep - that would do nicely but some folks are too 'shy' to do that. I get worried when they try to veer around that they might fall into the canal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X