No announcement yet.

WORLD CUP (There, I've done it)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very slim chance (from what I'm trying to work out) for France to go through unless it's a goalfest in the uruguay v mexico one

Comment

• I'd have loved to been in an Irish pub tonight seeing the reaction of the locals to the French going down to Mexico - lol!

Bon Voyage!

Comment

• Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

Stuff the vuvuzelas where the sun don't shine - football is about crowd noise, singing & chanting. How did the South Africans celebrate prior to about 12 years ago when the bl**dy plastic kids toys were invented?

Allez Les Bleus!
        And there was me thinking football was about football...
        Having been to a footy match in Capetown about 15 years ago I can tell you they celebrated with trumpets and various animal horns, and a fantastic atmosphere it was too.

I watched the game with some friends, Mme Pastis was there too although only to give me drinks, she doesnt do sport. Watching their faces was probably like watching mine tomorrow night if we dont start well, but the post match blurb was very telling. Pires, Wenger, Barthez and Lizarazu were all of the opinion that the last match will probably be played out for a draw and that will be that. Given that both South Africa and France have a chance if the other match is competetive, it will be a proper match, and I'm not even sure the French will have enough to beat Bfana Bfana.

Au revoir les Bleus??
        Au revoir les Bleus.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

• GREEN in or out? I suppose it's a matter of yer makes yer choice and devil the consequence.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
            Having been to a footy match in Capetown about 15 years ago I can tell you they celebrated with trumpets and various animal horns, and a fantastic atmosphere it was too.
            I have no doubt that it is fab in the stadium; however it doesn't translate into radio - esp am radio.

It's a bit - ooh my ears!

Comment

• Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              I have no doubt that it is fab in the stadium; however it doesn't translate into radio - esp am radio.

It's a bit - ooh my ears!
              I agree Zaz, I love my footy but it does sound like a house full of bees.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• This should really be in the joke thread, but as its topical......

This World Cup is a bit like my marriage.
                I know I should be enjoying it, but there's this constant drone in the background which is really starting to p**s me off.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

• Brilliant.

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Why do so many players, no matter what country, seem to not know the words of their own national anthem?

The French in particular seem only to know the "marchon, marchon, na na na na" bit. I'm going to France in a couple of weeks and had thought of learning the words to show them up but on last nights performance it'll be long over for France by then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot10 View Post
                      Why do so many players, no matter what country, seem to not know the words of their own national anthem?

The French in particular seem only to know the "marchon, marchon, na na na na" bit. I'm going to France in a couple of weeks and had thought of learning the words to show them up but on last nights performance it'll be long over for France by then.
                      I am surprised you have not picked up on this but like yourself my wife is Scottish & she gets really annoyed when England play "God save the queen" as the National Anthem as none of the other nations in the UK use it. When I was a nipper, I thought "Land of hope & glory" was Englands anthem. I could be wrong.

Comment

• Well I'll be beggered,It says "Land of hope & glory" was adopted for rugby but I thought that was "Swing low sweet chariot".......

National Song of England

Comment

• Originally posted by bobleponge View Post

This World Cup is a bit like my marriage.
                          I know I should be enjoying it, but there's this constant drone in the background which is really starting to p**s me off.
                          Easy now Mr Manning.

Comment

Why do so many players, no matter what country, seem to not know the words of their own national anthem?

I'm not so sure they dont know the words, they just choose not to sing them.
                            Cant be sure but I think it was Gary Neville who never sang God Save the Queen, even though he assured everyone he knew the words.
                            Last edited by zazen999; 18-06-2010, 04:15 PM.
                            Bob Leponge

Comment

The French in particular seem only to know the "marchon, marchon, na na na na" bit.
                              The most French passion I saw last night (football related anyway) was Patrice Evra, the French captain with a tear rolling down his cheek as he belted out the Marseilles.
                              Bob Leponge

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                I am surprised you have not picked up on this but like yourself my wife is Scottish & she gets really annoyed when England play "God save the queen" as the National Anthem as none of the other nations in the UK use it. When I was a nipper, I thought "Land of hope & glory" was Englands anthem. I could be wrong.
                                I had actually, but as a non-royalist I think leave them to it, especially the verse about crushing rebellious Scots I think this has now been officially removed from the song but it's not really any worse than Scots singing about sending Proud Edward homeward tae think again. (sorry compadres but I'm not a big fan of Flower of Scotland, though I'm not keen on the main alternatives either).

Incidentally, I thought Jerusalem was the English national song.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X