No announcement yet.

WORLD CUP (There, I've done it)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now looking forward to seeing what the Dutch have to offer tomorrow.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm looking forward to it all being over.
      Attached Files
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Don't worry G4, Wimbledon next week..............
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          Don't worry G4, Wimbledon next week..............
          That's fine - we need the rain!

I don't mind Wimblebum. Or most sports to be honest. But I can't abide the F word, and all the associated bs that surrounds it.

I'm sick of the stupidly noisy, flappy flags on cars, hanging out of windows, and draped over hedges. Idiotic-looking fat, wobbly people in football kits, too - I mean, look in the mirror ffs!!!!.

I'm glad you lot are enjoying it though.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Say it as it is G4..........

Comment

Well I am not a fan of football but I do watch the odd national game when they are on tv.

Seeing as you are all knowledgeable on the subject, would someone tell me please, why doesn't England have an English manager. Is there really no-one with the ability to manager the national team from England? I am no expert, as I already said, but I can't recall England having an English manager in many a year.
              Is it found in other national teams also to not have a non-national manager?

If the players have to be of the country they represent then shouldn't this follow through with all the other people involved in the team too.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Absolutely love football but am getting really annoyed by all the patronising comments on the TV about it being a good opportunity for the girls to go shopping. Lets get one thing straight, not all women dislike football and not all men like it. Traditionally in my family it's been a sport more supported by the female side - remember me and mum watching the '86 world cup when I was supposed to be revising for my O'levels while dad was outside sulking (people didn't feel the need for multiple TVs in those days....). Also go together with OH while watching coverage of '94 where we were both supporting Ireland in England's absence. Remember supporting Brazil in the final and doing the congo round the pub when they beat Italy on pens .

Went to France '98 for our honeymoon and spent the whole of June 2002 in Japan following the team around. Have started getting a bit more lethagic about getting to the matches (since new Wembley was finished it's so much futher than going to Old Trafford on a Wednesday night in Feb) and you can't get tickets for the big events if you don't do all the friendlies.

Re this World Cup, have booked next Wed pm off for the afternoon match and all others will be when I'm not in anyway. However am still trying to catch as much of other teams as I can and have the advantage that we've got big flat screen TVs in the work kitchens which I can use when I pop in for a brew so long as I catch up any hours missed so it's going to be a good month. These days there are millions of other channels to watch so if you don't like it then, erm don't. I find rugby a total waste of time so don't watch it but LOVE footie - just hope that Engerland pick up and we put somebody competent in goal next time

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                  Is there really no-one with the ability to manager the national team from England? I am no expert, as I already said, but I can't recall England having an English manager in many a year.
                  An excellent point & one that sticks in my throat, I often ask myself where his loyalties will be should a miracle happen & we meet Italy in the final...........as for past managers, we've had: Keegan, Hoddle, Venables, Robson.......I can't think of an English manager with enough experience to manage them. So that's 2 things we need to sort out.........an English manager & a reduction in foriegn players per club. I think we should go back to playing 4 foriegners at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    just hope that Engerland pick up and we put somebody competent in goal next time
                    Really?.........I thought besides the blunder, he pulled off a world class save that kept us in the game so even stevens in my book.......It's nice to see a lady that also enjoys the woes of football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Really?.........I thought besides the blunder, he pulled off a world class save that kept us in the game so even stevens in my book.......It's nice to see a lady that also enjoys the woes of football.
                      Never rated him as a keeper and was disappointed to see him in the squad, let alone apparently first choice. Would have preferred Paul Robinson to get the nod but we've got what we've got now. James is an excellent keeper but also tends to go awol from time to time but Hart has impressed me with what I've seen of him despite his youth so I'd probably have played him.

Re Rooney, main problem with him seems to be when he doesn't get service he gets frustrated and tracks back, across, where ever to make chances for himself and then isn't in the right place when you need him to score.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Re Rooney, main problem with him seems to be when he doesn't get service he gets frustrated and tracks back, across, where ever to make chances for himself and then isn't in the right place when you need him to score.
                        Yeh. he's not what you would call a goal poacher. He really needs to anticipate what Heskey or Crouch are gonna do cos 9 times out of 10 they are gonna win the ball. They are both so good as target men.

Comment

• Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                          Is it found in other national teams also to not have a non-national manager?
                          If the players have to be of the country they represent then shouldn't this follow through with all the other people involved in the team too.
                          This was a quite interesting find. In the last 45 years, we have only had 2 foriegn managers.

England's Coaches/Managers in Chronological Order

Comment

• Guess that's why we are all footy managers... James is a shocking keeper, and I dont really rate Robinson that much either.
                            I would have had Green in from the start, no question. And he would still be there for me against Algeria if I was FC.

Its well known that if Rooney doesnt see much of the ball he tracks deeper and deeper to get it, which takes him out of the area's where he is so dangerous. I honestly dont think he will ever play a quieter game for England, he is far too talented.

I do fear for our back line against some of the "bigger" nations, can you imagine Carragher being faced with Messi? Was reading the BBC sport page earlier and had a smile, the commentator said that Carragher was giving a press conference shortly, and commentator would give highlights.
                            Someone texted in, asking if everyone beat Carragher into the conference room.

Did chuckle.
                            Bob Leponge
                            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                              I do fear for our back line against some of the "bigger" nations, can you imagine Carragher being faced with Messi?
                              Perish the thought.............. he would be turned inside out. The keeper would have to be on the money that game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Liza View Post
                                Shame we never even get a chance to wear an " Anyone but Scotland " T shirt
                                You could get an SNP shirt (Scotland Not Playing)

An Englishwoman in Aberdeen (keeping very quiet about it...)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X