Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes you think they've grown up and then .....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, hope the court take into account that she was a) unaware that the car was uninsured and b) the one who was practising sensibly, not doing handbrake turns.
    Sad that she will be learning the hard way that acting stupid (her friend) while in charge of half a ton of killing machine (a car) brings bad consequences. Especially when they had at least done it off the road unlike so many idiots.
    And yes..I too did stupid things as a teenager that worried my parents rigid. Though they never involved court, thank goodness. (Luck and judgement, as in more..) And I distinctly remember one winter at the age of 26, when I definately did know better, hurling my little Fiesta flat out round the collage car park when snow and traffic had turned it to sheet ice. There was no-one else around and no parked cars, but I could so easily have slid into the solid raised concrete flower beds! Not a sensible way to learn to drive in icy conditions.
    And sadly WW my mum STILL worries over me (and I'm only 50 )
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I presume she's got herself a lawyer?-it's the uninsured bit which is the real concern.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Old saying: Bought sense is better than taught sense.

No doubt your daughter will learn from this experience, though we'd all wish that sense might be bought in a simpler way. The optimism of youngsters is a great quality but sometimes leads to 'doing before thinking'.

I hope all works out well.

Good wishes to you, your daughter and all.
        Last edited by maytreefrannie; 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling correction
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I presume she's got herself a lawyer?-it's the uninsured bit which is the real concern.

I asked her if she would need a lawyer, she said not, but she would ask a friend who's dad is a barrister. My other daughter did a couple of weeks work experience with him last summer.

Not what you know, tis who you know

I do think she ought to have one though.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

It was my daughter that wasn't insured. The car belongs to friends mum, who has insurance for the car and herself to drive.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Am I right in thinking she was in a car park? Is that technically on a private road therefore not requiring insurance? Just pondering here.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

They were in the Asda car park. Late evening, in an area with no parked cars. Lots of learner drivers go there, with instructors to practice parking, maneuvering, etc. I think it is private land, but I would assume you are supposed to get the permission of the owner to use it.....

Comment

Hmmm, I think there may be a few mitigating circumstances going on here. Let's hope the police / magistrate see it that way. I do think you need some good legal advice though.
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    It's all a learning process: let them learn that doing wrong brings consequences. Face the music, take your punishment like a man etc.
                    Harsh, but ultimately for the best.
                    Tough love and all that

Thats how I have brought them up TS. Since they were little. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it too, til this

Comment

Yes, I would have thought that as it was private land, insurance isn't strictly required, nor a license.

Get some proper legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
                        Thats how I have brought them up TS. Since they were little. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it too, til this
                        It sounds to me that you've done an excellent job! She sounds rightly contrite and it was a moment of silliness that went wrong. If the first thing she asked you was if you loved her, then it shows how important your opinion of her is to her. Don't be hard on yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                          Am I right in thinking she was in a car park? Is that technically on a private road therefore not requiring insurance? Just pondering here.
                          I was thinking the same thing Jeanied, my dad used to let me have a go at driving on a disused airfield when I was 12, he was an HGV driving instructor. I think there maybe chance that the court would have different rules regarding the private car park although as it used by the public then the traffic law may still apply.

I would get a lawyer.

We do the best for our kids but they will have to learn for themselves sometimes.
                          Last edited by Liza; 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM.
                          You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

similar thing happened down here

Youths get a bollarding at Holes Bay Asda (From Bournemouth Echo)

Comment

Most supermarket car parks are private land. So insurance wouldn't be a problem surely? I thought it was the causing a nuisence that was the main issue, and reckless driving in a public place. The fact that land is private wouldnt stop them getting in trouble as it is public access. But as ww's daughter has witnesses (the security guys)to the fact that she was driving sensibly, it was her friend who was muppeting around then..ho hum. Yep I'd take her to one of those solicitors who do a free half hour consult ww.
                              Worth it to make sure she doesnt get a massive fine, or points to go on her full licence when she passes.
                              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Aren't supermarket car parks private land? If so, won't that help in your daughters defence? Has the friend admitted anything?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X