No announcement yet.

Used to be about 'Stickies', now seems to be about OCD... :D

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stickies are just Forum tools; in the same way that I'd use a molegrip and someone else would use a spanner; we're never gonna get it right for everyone all the time.

At the moment, only one sticky hasn't been posted on in the last 2 days; and that's because it is closed.

And GYO stickies are used for the mag, so Grapes can end up being published - which is no bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
      it is extremely annoying to have my PC screen filled with a first post from hundreds of grapes looking for sympathy because they have just found potential blight on their tomatoes
      .... or how to grow parsnips.

It's inevitable when someone is new to a forum they don't know their way around. They just type a "new" query (which isn't new at all) without having a look around first for the answer.

I get flack for asking ppl to use the search function, but if a tool exists, why not use it?

It's annoying to be expected to write out an answer a gazillion times because people are loathe to use the frankly excellent Search facility.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Anyoone got any glue?
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

so - about these parsnips .....
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 21-01-2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

aka
              Suzie

Comment

Yep I wanna know about those parsnips too, mine were carp this year

*runs and hides
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

my lips are zipped - i'm not getting into trouble again - no siree!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    The stickies are just Forum tools; in the same way that I'd use a molegrip and someone else would use a spanner; we're never gonna get it right for everyone all the time.
                    Well I for one think you all do a great job & find it quite sad that some grapes can't be bothered looking for topics but have time to complain........

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I get flack for asking ppl to use the search function, but if a tool exists, why not use it?

It's annoying to be expected to write out an answer a gazillion times because people are loathe to use the frankly excellent Search facility.
                    I agree TS but repetative questions are gonna arise. Rightly or wrongly, I find myself searching on their behalf then posting the link.....
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Surely though, if everyone just used the search facility and stickie's, the forum would die?
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                        Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
                        What's a parsnip?.......

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Surely though, if everyone just used the search facility and stickie's, the forum would die?
                          Well no, it wouldn't. There are infinite topics to discuss.

But it is helpful if people look up the basics for themselves, eg. parsnip germination, how to propagate hops, when to sow onions, how to chit potatoes etc. It's not difficult, in fact it's quicker to type HOPS into the search facility to see if your question's already been answered, than it is to type out your question on a new thread. (no offence to anyone who asks about hops, it's just a random example)

We don't need 50,000 threads on the same few topics (unless you want to answer them all yourself Snadge ) That's what kills a forum. Repetition, boredom, same old same old.

The forum comes into its own when you've tried something and it doesn't work. You can then ask why, how, where? Different methods?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            While ever there are folks out there trying new things and passing on "useful" info then I think the vine will reign for a long time to come. Then of course, there is the gereral chat thread if that's what one wants..... Where possible, I do try & search before asking.
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-01-2010, 02:10 PM.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              I do try & search before asking.
                              I always have done. If I don't know something, I look it up, it's just how I was taught from an early age, and I think being a natural schoolteacher (ie, bossy ) it's just in my nature to say 'look it up'. So forgive me.

'It must be remembered that the purpose of education is not to fill the minds of students with facts... it is to teach them to think, if that is possible, and always to think for themselves.' --- Robert Hutchins

Anyway. Tangent. Off on.

Comment

Maybe we should have a Googlevine Sticky where questions can be posted & at somepoint the answer will be given. But all that will do is create yet another Thread/Sticky..........I still think the vine is great as it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X