No announcement yet.

Are artists born?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reproduction can only be as the beholder sees it. Thence we get Masters that are able to "hit the spot or reach the parts". Some Masters go unrecognised until someday someone sees their portrayal as it was intended. (Or to be truthful, in the light of the day). The 'Old Masters' talent has, to my mind, be a born talent. If we cannot achieve we, the rest, can only aspire.

Comment

Brengirl, I think Piskie is doing a garden design course, not aiming to be the next Leonardo Da Vinci - or have I misinterpreted this?
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I would say that a talented chef/artist/sports star is born not made. With a lot of training and dedication they reach the top of their particular tree, whereas the enthusiastic amateur will never quite attain the same heights.
        I also think that a natural artist would also quite probably be a natural chef, as well as quite probably having an ear for music and possibly languages as well. I appreciate there will be many exceptions, but I think having an 'artistic' bent covers a lot of the above.
        I can follow a recipe, especially one of Delia's, and produce something perfectly palatable,but not at all stand out ish, I cant sing (although am enthusiastic in the shower) and really really have to work at languages, so its probably not really a surprise (if my unproved theory holds water) that I just cannot draw at all. Not in the slightest bit artistic in any way.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Well, Bob - this all depends on your definition of an artist doesn't it? I think of artist as more in the sense of artisan... which may change some of the preconceptions in this debate. And I also think you are totally underestimating yourself in the summation above! And why aren't you asleep by now, anyway?

Comment

Cant sleep Jeanied
            Suffering from artists block
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              Well, Bob - this all depends on your definition of an artist doesn't it? I think of artist as more in the sense of artisan... which may change some of the preconceptions in this debate. And I also think you are totally underestimating yourself in the summation above! And why aren't you asleep by now, anyway?

Not quite sure if I am making sense but to my mind as artisan is someone who has been trained in his art and as excelled. An artist/e is someone who produces without training. A natural ability.
              Last edited by zazen999; 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM. Reason: quotes

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                not allowed AND all work is submitted in minimum A3, so there is no chance of cheating - well, not on my printer there isn't
                Piskie you can do it on A4 then take it to Staples and have it printed on A3, just a cheat I once used.

Comment

To quote Bobleponge

"Cant sleep Jeanied
                  Suffering from artists block"

Knew you'd come round to my way of thinking!
                  Last edited by Jeanied; 30-11-2009, 08:50 PM. Reason: Pinxit Jeanied

Comment

Piskie..It seems to me that we got a bit offtract so to speak but the answer is simple. If you have imagination and a pen then with the use of paper illustrate your plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                      Piskie..It seems to me that we got a bit offtract .
                      I'm not sure we did actually

I have picked up sooo much from this thread, which I started in a moment of panic - and as ever The Grapes have rallied and come forth with encouragement, tips, advice and guidance that knows no bounds

YAAAAY The Grapes

Thank you all, there is something in every single post on this thread that helps me
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Artists are born and made!. Which is why they have to go to art school to train! However, they have to have raw ability and imagination to start with! Don't worry - you are not being asked to do a Picasso! do you live near me? If so, please arrange to pop round and I will show you how to do the drawing/painting required on this course.(I am an artist and art teacher)also - it wouldn't matter how good an artist you were - if you didn't know a delphinium from a brick your drawings would be useless and a waste of time- so don't worry!
                        Last edited by petal; 30-11-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

wow, thanks Petal

I'm sure we can't be too far apart so please PM me with details and we'll talk

Thanks again
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

OOH can we get an Artistic Grapes group going in the Home Counties?- I'm up for that!

Comment

yaay Jeanied - we are also very close
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

PM'd you both!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X