X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    If there is a range of people doing the work; then it would be someones'

If there is only one person doing the work; then it would be someone'
    Nobody was actually doing any work, Haley was proofreading someones work (apostrophe left out).
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

* Hmm - let me see if I can make this even more confusing, says Jeanied getting out her wooden spoon! (Indulge her , fellow grapes, she has had a hard day!)

Surely if it is someone - it is only ever a noun for one person - so it has to take the apostrophe before the s in the possessive. If it is plural it will be some people. It is still singular because people is a plural noun so it would be some people's.
      Nah, that doesn't look right - it was the Peoples' choice, wasn't it?
      If anyone finds out what I'm talking about, do me a favour... let me know!
      Last edited by Jeanied; 25-11-2009, 07:01 PM.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        I was always lead to believe that if an apostrophe was in the middle of 2 letters then it indicated a missing letter(s). If it was after a word then it meant belonging to............if that makes sense.
        Nope not always - what about it's?

Comment

Surely the written word is about comunication "D'you get my drift" sums it up as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            I do a bit of part time work transcribing from audio tapes for Consultant Physicians and I am always uncomfortable when they dictate "wont". I never type it, I convert it to "will not" and not one of them have ever insisted upon it being changed back. What do you think all you grammar gurus?
            Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            Don't think I've made myself clear here. Wont is a past participle of a now obsolete verb meaning "accustomed", or a noun meaning "custom" or "habit" (as is his wont). I don't think it should be used as an abbreviation of will not?
            I'm quite bamboozled here Florence Fennel.
            In one post you say you change wont to will not
            in the next post you say the word is being used in the sense of habit or custom - as a noun or a verb. If the word is being used in that sense then there is no apostrophe in it, and what sense is there in the sentence if it is changed to will not .
            I think maybe Consultants should look at the letters being sent out in their name to see what is going on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              * Hmm - let me see if I can make this even more confusing, says Jeanied getting out her wooden spoon! (Indulge her , fellow grapes, she has had a hard day!)

Surely if it is someone - it is only ever a noun for one person - so it has to take the apostrophe before the s in the possessive. If it is plural it will be some people. It is still singular because people is a plural noun so it would be some people's.
              Nah, that doesn't look right - it was the Peoples' choice, wasn't it?
              If anyone finds out what I'm talking about, do me a favour... let me know!
              People's would be if the thing could only belong to one person [at any time]
              Peoples' would be if the thing could belong to more than one person at a time, which as it was a magazine - it could.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                I would have thought "wont" was an archaic word which is out of use these days.
                I take umbridge to being called archaic!
                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Nope not always - what about it's?
                  It (i)s..................
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I was always lead to believe that if an apostrophe was in the middle of 2 letters then it indicated a missing letter(s). If it was after a word then it meant belonging to............if that makes sense.
                    M'lud and most honourable esteemed colleagues, may I refer you to:

How to use Apostrophes - guidance notes
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

it's - used for it is
                      its - used for belonging to

eg.....
                      It's on its way.

Comment

It (i)s..................
                        How about "I couldn't start the car it's battery was flat".
                        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

it's - used for it is
                          its - used for belonging to

eg.....
                          It's on its way.
                          Thats right, there is no apostrophe in the 2nd its..........the apostrophe denotes the missing i.

Comment

Originally posted by hotstuff View Post
                            how about "i couldn't start the car it's battery was flat".
                            aarrgghhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
                              How about "I couldn't start the car it's battery was flat".
                              Its would not have an apostrophe.

Comment

Thats right, there is no apostrophe in the 2nd its..........the apostrophe denotes the missing i.
                                I know it's right - I have a degree in English

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X