X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
    M'lud and most honourable esteemed colleagues, may I refer you to:

How to use Apostrophes - guidance notes
    Please accept my most humble appologies....I stand corrected.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      People's would be if the thing could only belong to one person [at any time]
      Peoples' would be if the thing could belong to more than one person at a time, which as it was a magazine - it could.
      I disagree, I'm afraid. The word "People" is a singular noun naming a number of individuals. As a singular noun, the apostrophe can only be placed between the "e" and the "s" People's.

Off topic, how many times can one use the word"and" consecutively in a sentence, with said sentence making absolute sense ?
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post

Off topic, how many times can one use the word"and" consecutively in a sentence, with said sentence making absolute sense ?
        7 innit?

Comment

A typesetter was setting type for an advertisement for an inn called The Horse And Cart. His client was proofing the ad. and said;

There is too much spacing between Horse and And, and And and Cart..............5.............
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
            . The word "People" is a singular noun naming a number of individuals. As a singular noun, the apostrophe can only be placed between the "e" and the "s" People's.
            Thanks Rocketron - I think you nailed it - that's what I was trying to say earlier and got tied up in my own verbiage. So it is the people's friend after all?
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
              I'm quite bamboozled here Florence Fennel.
              In one post you say you change wont to will not
              in the next post you say the word is being used in the sense of habit or custom - as a noun or a verb. If the word is being used in that sense then there is no apostrophe in it, and what sense is there in the sentence if it is changed to will not .
              I think maybe Consultants should look at the letters being sent out in their name to see what is going on.
              Sorry you're feeling bamboozled Alice, that wasn't my intention, I thought someone might have a simple explanation. In the correspondence the dictation relates to "will not", hence won't (so I've gathered). When I looked for a definition I found that the word "wont" means habit or custom. I'm still really confused.com, so giving up! I'm still not going to put in in the letters.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

You need to look in a better dictionary!

Originally posted by OED
                won’t (_____),
                colloq. contraction of woll not = will not (see will v.1 A. 6 b). Also (cf. don’t, shan’t) as n. = refusal.
                won't & wont are two different words...
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 25-11-2009, 08:03 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I also need to get me coat ........

Comment

You are absolutely right on this one FF - carry on changing 'won't' for 'will not' in the written form because that is what it is in its written form!

I suggest adding the word 'wont' as in custom is a red herring - the English language is full of homophones which is why the language is so hard to learn - and spell- in the first place. It stems from having so many words in the language - it has a much bigger lexicon than most other languages, largely due to the fact that we have blended in words from many other languages to form modern English. Other European languages have many fewer words and much simpler rules of grammar with a higher degree of uniformity. Great, ain't it? You can express shades of meaning in English that you can't in other languages.
                    Last edited by Jeanied; 25-11-2009, 08:11 PM. Reason: poor English!
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                      You are absolutely right on this one FF - carry on changing 'won't' for 'will not' in the written form because that is what it is in its written form!

I suggest adding the word 'wont' as in custom is a red herring - the English language is full of homophones which is why the language is so hard to learn - and spell- in the first place. It stems from having so many words in the language - it has a much bigger lexicon than most other languages, largely due to the fact that we have blended in words from many other languages to form modern English. Other European languages have much fewer words and much simpler rules of grammar with a higher degree of uniformity. Great, ain't it? You can express shades of meaning in English that you can't in other languages.
                      Came back for my hat Jeanied and so glad I did, thanks for this!

Comment

What the OED isn't a good enough source for you? The context should give the meaning of the word away!

There is nothing wrong with writing won't as a contraction of will not - they're dictating after all...
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Well thanks for the explanation Florence Fennel.
                          If you're convinced the meaning is will not then type
                          will not or
                          won't.
                          In the written word I would use will not - as you do.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                            Don't you mean "it's written form" ?
                            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                              I take umbridge to being called archaic!
                              "umbridge", now there's a word I haven't heard in a while

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              OLLIE!!!!!......clear this up .............sorry to have to do this to you Hotstuff..........
                              As much as I hate to take sides, my response is:

Read all of zazen's posts.
                              Not just because she has a degree in English, but also because she's right in every instance IMHO.
                              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                              Snadger - Director of Poetry
                              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

lol choice of word was deliberate, but also a word I do still use along with the word in question!
                                Last edited by RedThorn; 25-11-2009, 10:42 PM.
                                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X