Wont!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    You are getting another rebuke - you've misspelt the ads! In Yorkshire we have "waint" for will not. Just thought I'd put that in as an aside.
    It's sods law that when you're talking about spelling, punctuation and grammar; you're infinitely more likely to make a mistake than at any other time!
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      English must be such a hard language to learn. Not only do we have lazy apostrophes but also words that sound the same with different spellings. i.e coughing, coffin. brough, brow or is it brough bruff?
      And then of course there is the example popularly attributed to George Bernard Shaw that "ghoti" can be pronounced "fish"
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Brilliant Hotstuff.....I had to google it first.

AUE: FAQ excerpt: What is "ghoti"?
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
          And then of course there is the example popularly attributed to George Bernard Shaw that "ghoti" can be pronounced "fish"
          For more info':
          Ghoti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support

Comment

One of my biggest gripes, if I'm being petty, is invites instead of invitations - drives me potty

The is another, but I cannot remember it at the moment ...
            Last edited by Glutton4...; 25-11-2009, 04:02 PM.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              One of my biggest gripes, if I'm being petty, is Invites instead of invitations - drives me potty
              Same. "Invite" is a verb, "invitation" is a noun.

Comment

Positioning of commas and apostrophes is a bit of bugbear for me when I'm proofreading someone's work, but my own problem is reading my own work
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I used to 'pull my hair out' when my 11 year old Son (at the time) used to bring is English homework home....when he was at Primary (here in France), I used to go through his work and check it for him, I was appalled at the use of......won't, isn't, I'm, I'll....the list is endless....this is obviously how they are teaching the French children to speak and learn English!! I used to go over it with a 'red pen' ...although to be honest, I think my son was too embarrassed to show his teacher, as I never had any response! Needless to say that my Son's written English after 10 years here is not as good as his French! Saying that, I know that today's English is more often than not abbreviated in speech, but surely to learn the correct way first is more important especially at school.
                  Mr TK is at the moment writing a book, which I am editing for him! I go through it trying to correct the English with my ex-secretarial 'hat' on which annoys him no end, but as he says it should be written as 'spoken' in some parts of the dialogue. However, his use of commas, full stops and exclamation marks leaves a lot to be desired!
                  Mrs TK
                  Mr TK's blog:
                  http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                  2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Using won't in speak or informal communication such as this is fine but I'd neve use it in a formal letter. Was taught to always write out in full in such circumstances.

Also, isn't the shortened version of would not wouldn't not won't, totally different tense surely?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                      Positioning of commas and apostrophes is a bit of bugbear for me when I'm proofreading someone's work
                      Should that not be someones' work?.................

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Also, isn't the shortened version of would not wouldn't not won't, totally different tense surely?
                      I think Ollie has covered this one, wouldn't = would not & won't = will not.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Alison - I was taught much along the same lines. Abbreviations are a strict no-no in any written communication - however, I have started using them on t'internet
                        Wordy buffs - anyone read eat, shoots and leaves? if you haven't then maybe a little note to the big man in the red suit is in order...

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Should that not be someones' work?.................
                          Sorry to disagree Mal, but someone's is right as it is indicating possession, i.e. belonging to someone. Unless of course you can pluralise (?) someone to be a number of someones
                          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Sorry to disagree Mal, but someone's is right as it is indicating possession, i.e. belonging to someone. Unless of course you can pluralise (?) someone to be a number of someones
                            OLLIE!!!!!......clear this up .............sorry to have to do this to you Hotstuff..........

Comment

If there is a range of people doing the work; then it would be someones'

If there is only one person doing the work; then it would be someone's

I'd say, as there would only be one person doing the work at any one time; then it is someone's.

[plus, there is no such word as someoneses - which is how it would be said].

Which takes us back to the original query, in that won't may well be will not abbreviated; but as you can't actually say willn't; it gets changed to won't so that you can actually say it.
                              Last edited by zazen999; 25-11-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                                If there is a range of people doing the work; then it would be someones'

If there is only one person doing the work; then it would be someone's

I'd say, as there would only be one person doing the work at any one time; then it is someone's.

[plus, there is no such word as someoneses - which is how it would be said].

Which takes us back to the original query, in that won't may well be will not abbreviated; but as you can't actually say willn't; it gets changed to won't so that you can actually say it.
                                I was always lead to believe that if an apostrophe was in the middle of 2 letters then it indicated a missing letter(s). If it was after a word then it meant belonging to............if that makes sense.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X