Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you understand strike action?

I don't think I do.

I don't come from a union background, have never been in a union myself so struggle to understand the mindset behind those that do.

The company I work for has been going through "modernisation" and change much the same as being quoted in the news.

I have not received a pay review for 2 years, I have recently been promoted without a pay increase (basically more work for no more money), the company have over the past 12 months made nearly 50% of our workforce redundant. We've had no bonus, with no immediate prospect of any.

If I then refused to work until my demands were met, I'd be out of a job.

I'm fortunate that in the main, the company I work for are relatively fair - I may not agree with a number of their practises, and decisions - but that's working life isn't it?

This is a genuine question, I'm just trying to understand, not necessarily spark debate.

Are unions out of step compared to say in the 70/80's when a larger part of the UK workforce were unionised?

I'm somewhat naiive to the whole union thing, but would like my opinion to be balanced rather than as it is presently.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

I personally think they are doing themselves out of jobs. The strikes will be resolved then next year I wouldn't be surprised if some of the companies were privatised. That's just my thought, appologies to any folk who are going through these strikes at the moment.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm the same Wayne. It's beyond me.
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I spoke to my postie who doesn't want to strike but Adam Crozier (big Boss) is making life hell for them. He has altered working so that to finish their quota they are often doing it on their OWN TIME. He is also not willing to negotiate hence the strike action. I am usually against strike action as I believe mediation is the way but if one party won't shift.... what else is there to do. I think the posties ought to let the public know more of the facts, I'm sure the public would be a little more understanding - There but for the grace of God, go I.
        Sad times

Comment

I'm a bit out of things over here- but are you referring to the postal strike? Surely all the couriers aren't on strike???...if not- won't peeps just use other couriers and stay with them???
          Life has to go on- and loyalty doesn't seem to count for much these days ( unfortunately)

When you see what the Unions have done for the British work force since the 70's compared to over here.....it's unbelievable the difference in consumer and workers rights!!!!
          ( eg- if you take a Friday as annual leave- it counts as 2 days because Saturday is a potential working day- even if you could never work that day because the office/factory is closed!!!) I wonder how that would go down in the UK??? plenty, plenty more crazy , unjust 'things' like that.

There must surely come a limit when you can't/shouldn't push any more?????
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Nicos.
            Its not just the postmen, it's the binmen & the firemen as well........not had bin emptied by council for 8 weeks.....good job private companies are doing it or it would stink.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

What's the strike situation like over there in France, Nicos? I alway heard the French were much more militant than the Brits.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Hi Nicos.
                Its not just the postmen, it's the binmen & the firemen as well........not had bin emptied by council for 8 weeks.....good job private companies are doing it or it would stink.

hmm..doesn't sound good
                My father died during an Ambulance strike- say no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  My father died during an Ambulance strike- say no more.
                  Oh no!...How sad........& frustrating for you.

Comment

Going back to the postal strike, how long do you think it will be before we don't need a postal service for letters? 10, 20 years?.......Everything will be done online then the telecom companies can go on strike.....

Comment

Oh no!!....how will we do our seed swap??

( ..but I know what you mean)

Comment

Originally posted by jogette View Post
                        He has altered working so that to finish their quota they are often doing it on their OWN TIME.
                        That's what I mean - surely that's outdated?

With the invention of email, mobiles, Blackberry's etc we're all more contactable, and as a result "available" to work out of hours.

Lots of us don't get paid any more for doing so either.

This is from an office worker point of view I know, but that's what I do, so the only first hand example I have.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Oh no!!....how will we do our seed swap??
                          I think we will just have private couriers for parcels.

Comment

I have spent years representing the Trades Unions in a legal capacity, from firefighters, to steelworkers, to police officers. I have attended TUC quite a few times and have a reasonable knowledge of the history (which does still count for quite a lot).

No matter if you support the union movement or not, the reality is that by and large - you're right - striking members of any union don't have the public support anymore. Too many people have their own hardships and worries over jobs etc. to support people who - it is perceived/reported - want to tweak their conditions. And who are making others lives more difficult in the process with strike action.

The unions have done amazing things for workers rights and particularly in Health and Safety (I really have to bite my tongue at the 'it's H&S gone mad' comments - many people have died and been horribly injured as a result of all kinds of poor conditions).

My personal view is divided and probably will remain so. The issue of Right To Strike is controversial (you brave man, you) and some will have pretty strident views on it. And 'tis true that some union members, quite simply, are represented by more competent leaders than others...
                            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I just don't get it either. We were talking of the bin-strike in Leeds the other day (admittedly after a couple of glasses of Vino Collapso) and we worked out that even if their demands were met and they went back the following morning they'd have to work for 4 years for the pay increase to cover the losses they've had through lack of pay whilst on strike. There just doesn't seem to be any logic to it. A lot of the time I think it's down to a complete breakdown in communication between the workers and management and that strike action is a way of hitting back first and foremost, rather than a genuine grievance over pay. I was looking on the internet a few weeks ago as I needed the phone number of the local sorting office, this was before strike action was being talked about, what I found was the postal workers' on-line magazine, and their complaints were nothing to do with pay, but they felt that management were useless in just about every way and that many things were wrong with the whole system. If half the things they were alleging were true then there's little wonder that they've had to resort to this as the management were made to sound worse than useless. Having seen interviews on T.V. between the striking bin-men and their managers I'd hazard a guess that the same is true there too. I'm not saying that this is the reality of the situation, just that it's how the workers are feeling. I'm also not condoning it, but if management are so poor, or are perceived as being so poor that the general workforce have little or no confidence in them, then there's little wonder that it all disintegrates into this sort of chaos. When I misspent my youth as a lifeguard we were told that a good one never had to jump in to save anyone as they'd have seen the situation coming and prevented it long beforehand, and to an extent good management is like this, it should never have reached this point.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X