No announcement yet.

Do you understand strike action?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see why people strike for imp[rovements in their own working conditions (it won't always be wise, but that is another story), but when they go on strike about other things, that annoys me, and when they strike 'to fight for their jobs', it always seems to me to be totally counter-productive. When you go on strike you encourage 'the customer' to do without whatever you 'produce', so how can that prevent job losses??????
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think the catalyst for me asking the question, was that I was watching something about the bin men strikes in Leeds.

There was a dude (bin man) on strike and he had a couple of little kids. He was carrying one of them at the time and walked out of the house with a bag of rubbish. He tossed the rubbish out of the house onto a pile of rubbish bags stacked outside his house. A rat haven surely.

I just had trouble understanding the mentality of someone chucking rubbish into their own garden with little kids, when they...

I just had trouble understanding. Nothing unusual.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

See, now the Royal Mail one was difficult to understand, but the BA one!?

Well, that's got me completely.

Some people need to look at the bigger picture me thinks.

BA Cabin Crew Strike Ballot 2009 update - British Airways

What would Vedder do?

Comment

The right to withdraw your labour is fundamental. The right of the population to condemn those actions is also fundamental. Rocking the boat does make the water choppy at times but it always levels out in the end.
          As for the call centres debate I think that those unfortunates would prefer to work for a peanut rather than half.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
            I do, and dont forget for many years posties have gone home once their round was finished even if it was before they had worked a full shift.

Cake and eating it comes to mind.
            My mum use to be a postie and one of her co-workers would start at 6.30 and be home by 9.30 and she was paid until 12.30.
            That`s 3 hours pay 6 days a week(they use to do 6 days then) thats 18 hours pay for doing nothing. I can`t think of any firms that would let you do that.
            I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

There's good points and bad points to "job and Knock"

Good : get's motivation up to finish job quickly

Bad: often(not always) results in a poorly finished job

What ever happened to the old ethos of an HONEST days work for an HONEST days pay?
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                There's good points and bad points to "job and Knock"

Good : get's motivation up to finish job quickly

Bad: often(not always) results in a poorly finished job

What ever happened to the old ethos of an HONEST days work for an HONEST days pay?
                Divergent opinions as to the relative value of the work and the pay.....
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

If BA staff want to strike, well fine, but to strike over Christmas knowing it will destroy thousands of families get togethers, especially when a lot of them only get together at Christmas strikes me a mean, petty and downright nasty trick to pull.

As its affecting my family directly I can assure the Unite union, it has lost any support it may have had in its action from me and mine. Bah humbug.

Comment

My brothers boyfriend works for Virgn. I'm sure he'd be happy to get the pay the BA cabin crew get.

The damage to the brand is imeasurable, but I'm guessing that these people can't see past the end of their nose.

Does my 'ed in this sort of thing!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

im a rep for my union in the college i work for and could give you umpteen reasons ,and could tell you many a trick or sudden ignorance a rule when it suits , shady ways to circumvent laws and rules.by managers unfortunatlly untill something threatens your job you wont be interested . and as to why people take industrial action.
                      a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Well, the strike action in this case has been declared illegal and now won't go ahead.

Regardless of the general 'right to strike' I too think it was pretty low to try to take that particular action over Christmas. Glad people now won't have their Christmasses ruined!
                        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by butter fingers View Post
                          im a rep for my union in the college i work for and could give you umpteen reasons ,and could tell you many a trick or sudden ignorance a rule when it suits , shady ways to circumvent laws and rules.by managers unfortunatlly untill something threatens your job you wont be interested . and as to why people take industrial action.
                          I (we) have never been in employ. We have always tried to be self sufficient. No unemployment or income related benefits. Because of the self-employed status we are assumed to be 'well off'. I suppose we are in a way but only in the knowledge that what we have we have earned!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X