Do you understand strike action?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    I think companies are tending to ship out there call centre jobs to Bombay so they can find away around the minimum wage restrictions in this country. They employ poor buggers on tuppence happeny an hour whose speech you can't make head nor tail of!
    Interestingly, south africa is fast becoming the new 'call centre haven'. Mainly because the accent sounds more familiar than an indian one.
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

call They employ poor buggers on tuppence happeny an hour whose speech you can't make head nor tail of!
      Love it............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post

But, if we get to the point that nobody is objecting to these conditions being the norm, aren't we sending ourselves down the road towards complete exploitation of all workers? The UK already has a terrible record on things like working hours compared with our European neighbours, and the fact that somebody is prepared to fight this slide, I believe, should be applauded and supported, before we find ourselves like the exploited workers of Asian countries, and our own downtrodden ancestors.
        Our working hours may be higher than the average European, but then so's our average wage. Considerably.

I'm not convinced that they're being altruistic about it either.
        Last edited by HeyWayne; 30-10-2009, 01:48 PM.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I think companies are tending to ship out there call centre jobs to Bombay so they can find away around the minimum wage restrictions in this country. They employ poor buggers on tuppence happeny an hour whose speech you can't make head nor tail of!
          Interestingly it's not unique to the UK, all my international colleagues will complain of the same thing - "foreign" call centres.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
            Interestingly it's not unique to the UK, all my international colleagues will complain of the same thing - "foreign" call centres.
            You'd be gutted if you had an indian accent, but worked in an English call centre. You'd get grief off everyone who spoke to you!
            Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
            Snadger - Director of Poetry
            RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
            Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
            Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
            piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

France has just upped its 35 hour week as it realises that it cannot compete with such restrictions. Being an hourly paid bod I can opt to work an average of 48 hours or more if I wish, or can do less also without being forced too.

If the current strikes continue I fear we will see more posties in TNT orange and a lot less in post office Red.

As an aside, the average French wage is some £6000 less than the average British one, the Italians earn even less.
              Last edited by pigletwillie; 30-10-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Well, not only have we got the binmen & posties on strike, the fireman are starting an 8 day strike next week (How convenient)........and they want my support.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Regarding the Postal Strike - my eldest son works for a firm that uses Royal Mail to deliver thousands and thousands of parcels a day - a very lucrative contract for RM. RM want to close a local sorting office and move sorting and despatch 40 miles away. This will have a big impact on my son's firm's ability to offer next day delivery, plus customers faced with the prospect of travelling up to 40 miles to the nearest sorting office to collect parcels would not be happy. Big impact on the business. So a meeting was arranged with a business manager for RM and folks from my son's firm - including him. His firm laid out all the circumstances in the hope that they could reach some kind of accommodation - after all, they spend literally millions on postage - they would have to go to Citilink or DHL if RM could not reach some kind of compromise. RM's reaction - OK - go on then! Management have an agenda - they want to run the company down so that it can be privatised. Absolutely scandalous!!
                  I think the CWU are their own worst enemy - they need to let the public know EXACTLY what is going on in terms of pay and conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
                    - they would have to go to Citilink or DHL if RM could not reach some kind of compromise. RM's reaction - OK - go on then! Management have an agenda - they want to run the company down so that it can be privatised. Absolutely scandalous!!
                    I think the CWU are their own worst enemy - they need to let the public know EXACTLY what is going on in terms of pay and conditions.
                    My son ordered his new Xbox from Amazon on Thursday evening at 6.30 pm - Friday morning 8.20 am knock on door - one Xbox - thank you City Link.

Cost? £4.35.
                    Could RM beat that? I doubt it.
                    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                      I could appreciate people striking if their working conditions or treatment was poor. I can't however, truly appreciate striking over pay.
                      No-one is ever paid 'enough'. What i mean by that is, I've never met anyone who would turn down a pay raise on the grounds that they 'didn't need the money'. I regularly have conversations with co-workers about contentment with their salary and I end up asking them the question "How much is enough money?", there is no answer, because very few people live to less than their means.
                      So if they strike, and are then paid more, will that solve all their problems? Will they work, content for the rest of their lives. I doubt it.

If i've missed the point, please feel free to rebuke me. Just my 2 cents.
                      My nephew used to work for RM. As other posters have said, it used to be a good job with reasonable prospects. In itself the erosion of pensions etc would be cause for concern, but...

It's not just about the pay, it's about the way posties are treated. He became quite badly disabled, spending a lot of time in a wheelchair. If he had to take time off because he couldn't stand up, he was threatened with disciplinary action; he was practically driven to a nervous breakdown by the management - if it hadn't been for the union he would have been. Some of the offices make life as difficult as they can for wheelchair users and others. He wasn't the only one. People would go on holiday and come back to find that their jobs had been given to somebody else in their absence. Management (not all - there are some decent people) treat the workers like dirt.

It's easy to say "get another job" but where? In this climate? Maybe with a family to support. And what about what's left of the pension you've worked for?

I don't tend to be political and don't have a 'union' background. Unions did get too big for their britches at one stage but they were formed to give powerless individuals strength.

And, in the case of RM why wouldn't Management go to arbitration, which is what the workers pressed for and were willing to do?

Comment

They employ poor buggers on tuppence happeny an hour whose speech you can't make head nor tail of!
                        A bit like the ones in the North East then

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                          A bit like the ones in the North East then
                          We tark proppa englush roond ere man!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We tark proppa englush roond ere man!
                            Tek no notice Snadge, I understood thee.

Comment

Tha shud beh bah-lingwul like me - ah knar what yuh baith on aboot like

Comment

I dont understand it either. All I know is, it will probably be the end of Royal Mail as we know it.
                                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X