who got sunburnt today

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorgeousgrower View Post
    I can't believe you're only using factor 25 or 30. It's 50 all the way for me, and I still get a nice colour.

After having a nevus removed last year which turned out to the a basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer) I take no risks.

Also, I don't want my face to look like leather when I'm older so a very high factor on the most vulnerable areas i.e. face, shoulders etc is a no brainer!
    There was me thinking factor 30 was quite high, must have no brain
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Not me, been inside ironing all day
      Did mine in the garden yesterday courtesy of long extension lead!! Couldn't bear the thought of being inside while the sun was doing such a good job off shining!!!
      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by gorgeousgrower View Post
        I can't believe you're only using factor 25 or 30.
        I burn (without protection) in 10 mins. Factor 25 gives me 250 mins of protection, or just over 4 hrs.

Factor 50 gives 8 hrs protection ... I am not in the sun for 8 hrs, so I don't need it.

We need some sun exposure, in order to produce Vitamin D (which protects against other cancers, inc. bowel cancer)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Didn't spend too much time in sun but still it caught me on the shoulders. Thankfully i do tend to brown quickly (apart from my legs, they always stay white ).

Comment

Multicoloured family...

.....the DD was out in the sun all day yesterday at the falconry, slathered in SPF50, she's as brown as a nut except for stripey t-shirt markings. Both DD and #2 son take after my dad and have skin that browns beautifully.

Nerdy #1 son goes brown nicely, but rarely goes out in the sun. OH & #3 son are the fair-skinned sort and are virtually drowning in SPF50 before I'll let them out. Tops of ears and backs of necks are daubed with total sunblock. Saw a guy in a queue in Switzerland once with ears so ragged they looked like some one had been at them with pinking shears - often wonder if he's been diagnosed with melanoma.

I don't tan at all, wouldn't go brown if someone creosoted me, but always use SPF25 or 50 as I get freckles which can be just as dodgy.

I am up to my limit on anti-hystamines though as sneezing season is here. I love being outside but the hayfever is such a pain, although I don't let it stop me.

Jules
            Last edited by julesapple; 31-05-2009, 07:53 AM.
            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I used to burn so quickly when I was a kid and HATED our hot summer holidays. Always ended up with heat rash, had to try and stay in the shade and even then, managed to get burnt too often.

Up until a couple of years ago and just stayed inside when it was sunny. Then I started selling my hand made jewellery and spent loads of time at craft fairs, kept using factor 40 or above was mostly in the shade.

This year I've actually been out in the garden loads, still using the factor 40 frequently each day, my new wide brimmed sun hat is on the way and I do tend to come in for at least one hour during the hottest part of the day to give myself a rest and so far I seem to be coping. I even seem to have a bit of colour on my arms! First time in my life I haven't been milk bottle white or lobster red! Of course, that could just be dirt!
              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Using up last year's products?

I wonder if many people get burnt early in the season because they are 'using up' last year's left over suncream?

It loses it's effectiveness with time. Take care.
                Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

our weather out in germany is not fantastic.

it is warm but really overcast. i slap the sunscreen on both daughters and they both moan that "it's not sunny".

i have opened the plastic greenhouse, put out the peas, kohlrabi, radish, lettuce, toms and courgettes, but have to keep watching in case it rains.

i ahve exams in 2 weeks, so today i will be studying - YAWN!!!

cant wait for exams to be over then i can relax in the hopefully warm weather we are due

Tracy
                  www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

Ditto Bilbo i must look an absolute sight when I'm on the lottie, but i pride myself on staying 'pale and interesting'.
                    Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                    -- Alfred E. Neumann
                    http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

I remember when my parents bought a very special sort of suncream when I was a kid- and about to go on hols in Spain....twas called Factor 2 ...is 50 the highest available now???
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Min I use is factor 30, my moisturiser (year round is factor 50) Blistering red is not a nice look I've got typical Scottish skin - peely wally with freckles (and for the record freckles are a sign of beauty ) Full length trousers today with long sleeved shirt - I do not own skimpy tops or shorts (trust me no one wants to see my bottle white legs and fat knees)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          I remember when my parents bought a very special sort of suncream when I was a kid- and about to go on hols in Spain....twas called Factor 2 ...is 50 the highest available now???

As a teenagers living in Devon in the 60s we used to slather on oil that could only be bought in the chemist's.

Olive oil and it was blumin expensive too!
                          Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                          Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Factor 100!!!!

...look what I found- it's waterproof and sweatproof too!!!

women's Neutrogena Ultra Sheer<sup>&#174;</sup> Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 100+ with Helioplex<sup>&#174;</sup> - Neutrogena

no idea where you'd get it- nor how much it costs...anyone tried it???
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by singleseeder View Post
                              I wonder if many people get burnt early in the season because they are 'using up' last year's left over suncream?

It loses it's effectiveness with time. Take care.
                              I used last year's suncream today as I couldn't be bothered to come down this morning and go back up again before I went out.

We had 20 odd photographers around the village today, stopping off at my garden for a photoshoot, and a boat ride in someone else's boat.....

Not burnt at all. I did put in on 3 layers though.

I need a snooze now though. It's hard explaining Egyptian walking onions 20 odd times...

Comment

Wore my hat and baggy t shirt of mr miffy's. When i was bent over weeding though didn't notice it had blown up at the back so now have a inch band across my back that is very pink and hot!! Whoops. Don't tend to burn on face arms etc go brown straight away.
                                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X