How utterly stupid

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    They could always stop smoking. Win win.
    Tobacco tax is a LOT more than the cost to the NHS of smoking-related illness.....
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Obviously I'm in the minority here who think well done on that shop keeper - yes am sure he's not perfect but if it makes one person thing then that's good. I am forever grateful that when I tried smoking as a young teenager I didn't get it so didn't try again. If I'd enjoyed it and my friends had also then I'd probably have become addicted. Yes I drink, but not to adiction levels. Had a couple last Friday with a friend and nothing since. May have a glass or two of wine tonight, but only if I decide to do so, not because I feel a need. That it not antisocial, whereas if I sat on the sofa with my OH smoking away I would be harming both myself and him. There is a big difference between somebody who enjoys the occaisional drink and a binge drinking alcoholic.
      If the shopkeeper is anti-smoking, he shouldn't sell the things AT ALL, and if he isn't anti-smoking why stop selling them for 2 days? I always find that sort of inconsistency annoying.

BTW, I do agree with you about the difference between smoking and drinking as 'vices' affecting other people, I just don't agree with the attitude of that shopkeeper.
      Last edited by Hilary B; 13-03-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

As a never-smoker, I've noticed that the most ardent anti-smoking people are very often ex-smokers. I really dislike the smell, and I really notice it, but I still don't approve of the latest Government attitude to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
          If the shopkeeper is anti-smoking, he shouldn't sell the things AT ALL, and if he isn't anti-smoking why stop selling them for 2 days? I always find that sort of inconsistency annoying.
          But he probably isn't anti-smoking. Who knows? He can't win. If he WAS selling ciggies on No Smoking Day, then someone else would be moaning about it!
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Hilary B

But he probably isn't anti-smoking. Who knows? He can't win. If he WAS selling ciggies on No Smoking Day, then someone else would be moaning about it!

I can't think why anyone would complain about that (it isn't about selling the muck), and he had 2 no-smoking days, not one!

Comment

Tobacco tax is a LOT more than the cost to the NHS of smoking-related illness.....
              Does that account for secondary smoking too? Genuine question.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I am a non smoker altogh I tried it when I was a young teenager ( below the age of 16 as it was then ) until my sister found out and threatned to tell mum if I didnt give her my cigarettes so I gave up, the biggest favour my sister ever did for me. She smoked until her death at 56 through cancer ( although not smoke related ). If I want to drink it affects me and no one else as I never drive even if I have only had one drink, If I smoke it affects everyone around me through second hand smoke. Two of my sons smoke and I wish they didnt but they never do it at my house even though I have never stopped them.
                I dont like to see people in groups in the streets outside shops, offices and pubs smoking and I dont think they should have to.
                If someone wants to smoke it is entirely their choice and I will move away if I am near.
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                  Does that account for secondary smoking too? Genuine question.
                  Those whose opinions I have encountered reckon that secondary smoking is not (quite) proven as a cause of illness so figures are probably not available.

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                    I am a non smoker altogh I tried it when I was a young teenager ( below the age of 16 as it was then ) until my sister found out and threatned to tell mum if I didnt give her my cigarettes so I gave up, the biggest favour my sister ever did for me. She smoked until her death at 56 through cancer ( although not smoke related ). If I want to drink it affects me and no one else as I never drive even if I have only had one drink, If I smoke it affects everyone around me through second hand smoke. Two of my sons smoke and I wish they didnt but they never do it at my house even though I have never stopped them.
                    I dont like to see people in groups in the streets outside shops, offices and pubs smoking and I dont think they should have to.
                    If someone wants to smoke it is entirely their choice and I will move away if I am near.
                    I never tried smoking, but outside of that, I agree with you (mostly). I do think that those who can't stand the smell need a bit of consideration, but NOT the silly ban (which in any case causes more bother to a lot of us).

Comment

...that secondary smoking is not (quite) proven as a cause of illness so figures are probably not available.
                      What was the name of the famous trumpet player who died of lung cancer, never having smoked in his life?

It was suggested that as he was sucking in 'club' air whilst playing his trumpet, this brought about lung cancer from secondary/passive smoking

ETA: Roy Castle
                      Castle was diagnosed with lung cancer in January 1992, and underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy before going into remission in the autumn of that year.

Castle, a non-smoker, blamed his illness on years of playing the trumpet in smoky jazz clubs. On 26 November 1993, Castle announced that his illness had returned, and once again underwent treatment in hope of overcoming it.
                      Last edited by piskieinboots; 13-03-2009, 01:45 PM.
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        106,000 people in the UK die each year due to smoking. ... Many smoking-related deaths are not 'quick deaths'. ...

8,724 alcohol-related deaths in 2007,

Geo..
                        Not wishing to be picky but the following item on the BBC web site makes interesting reading regarding alcohol deaths and costs - BBC NEWS | Health | Binge drinking costing billions

Binge drinking culture costing £20 billion per year
                        Cost to the NHS - £1.7 billion
                        Alcohol-related problems are responsible for 22,000 premature deaths each year

The full article is worth reading.
                        Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

OOOpppsss, i smoke and binge drink and drive a car and damn it janet, perhaps i should be dead already lol!!!

I am gonna give up smoking soon, when i move house, sorry HW i did smoke in front of you, but we was outside lol!!!

I do agree with the ban, i smoke far less!! so saves me money!!

If we all did the same things the world would be a boring place and we would have nothing to debate, i am loving it

They did used to advertise Non smoking day, i havent seen it advertised for years or i would have lit up two at once lol! (sorry couldnt resist) lol!

Comment

Originally posted by squashysu View Post
                            I am gonna give up smoking soon, when i move house, sorry HW i did smoke in front of you, but we was outside lol!!!
                            Hey, no worries - don't mind so much if it's outside, I can get away from it then, plus I think the wind was in the right direction.
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X