How utterly stupid

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    As an ex-smoker I think there are plenty of smokers out there who would not smoke if it was only down to choice! Every little helps!

So the OP went somewhere else to buy fags, well thats the free market economy for you - perhaps the shop owner would prefer not to sell fags, but its a tough world and they can't afford to turn down the business...better to have ethics some time than no time.

Ethics I can agree with, but in my own personal opinion.
    He was still selling alcohol,, to me there is no difference,, they are both bad for us arent they ??.

As are loads and loads and loads of things.

If everyone stopped selling everything that was bad for us and we all stopped buying these poisons, we would only need a pill shop, think how convienient,, no need to think about dinner tonight,, lets go to the pill shop a packet of pink and whites please !!!.

To me it is twaddle, if I choose I want to smoke, smoke I will, if I choose I want a drink Drink I will.

I do not need a snotty nosed little shop keeper deciding whats right for me,,,,

Sorry sbp, rant came on the end of your reply, but nothing personal to you.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      As an ex-smoker I think there are plenty of smokers out there who would not smoke if it was only down to choice! Every little helps!

So the OP went somewhere else to buy fags, well thats the free market economy for you - perhaps the shop owner would prefer not to sell fags, but its a tough world and they can't afford to turn down the business...better to have ethics some time than no time.
      He's trying to have his cake and eat it as well. If he doesn't want to sell tobacco, he shouldn't sell it, end of.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

As a smoker and fond of the occassional tipple, I feel a total pariah!

I dont beat my child, mug little old ladies, take heroin or such like, dont beat my husband (well not often) or upset my neighbours.

LEAVE ME ALONE - I pay my taxes (lots of them) am kind to the cat and put in the odd appearance at the church jumble sale - I have been known to do the flowers on occassion.

Given the tax on tobacco I've probably paid my dues several times over, not to mention that both parents have over contributed before retiring abroad just to have all health rights stripped from them. There, my rant over!

Comment

maybe he should stop selling chocolate as well
          i hear they want to tax that too
          Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
          Independent Minds

Comment

If all of us smokers gave up the rest of you would soon be whinging at the tax increases necessary to replace the lost revenue from tobacco duty and VAT!!

Chillimad - take your business elsewhere!!
            Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Gordon looks as if he may be partial to a deep fried mars bar and a can of iron brew....

Comment

gawd i used to wolf down irn bru like there was no tomorrow when i were a nipper
                Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                Independent Minds

Comment

I assume any other shop would be glad of your custom Chillimad & since when did no smoking day become compulsuary?
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

I can see the point of a 'national quitting day' so that those who WANT to give up the weed have some 'team feeling' because others are doing the same that day. That is ENOUGH!

I don't smoke, I have never smoked, I HATE it when someone starts smoking near me (or even not-so-near, did anyone else at Wisley notice when 2 people at the 'next' table started?) BUT I consider the ban to be ridiculous.
                    If the concerns are really as stated (and I am not convinced), why not allow a 'smoking room' with certain regulations on how it operates? At least then the smokers wouldn't be standing outside getting flu and adding to the NHS cost!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                      At least then the smokers wouldn't be standing outside getting flu and adding to the NHS cost!!!
                      By smoking aren't they doing that already?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yeah HW, but probably not as much if they don't catch flu so often......

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                          Yeah HW, but probably not as much if they don't catch flu so often......
                          They could always stop smoking. Win win.
                          Last edited by HeyWayne; 13-03-2009, 09:34 AM.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

i thought that drinking was bad aswell, reading the threads on this forum, it seems no one minds talking about a nice bottle of wine, or a nice glass of whatever, but as soon as smoking is mentioned everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Why can they just not leave us smokers alone, i have not read one thread yet where someone gets critisised for drinking.

I always find the supermarkets cheaper than the little corner type of shop anyway, so if the owner of the shop in question wants to go out of business I doubt many would be concerned, especially when to original poster said that tesco was close.

Comment

Couple of stats...

106,000 people in the UK die each year due to smoking. ... Many smoking-related deaths are not 'quick deaths'. ...

8,724 alcohol-related deaths in 2007,

Geo..

Comment

Originally posted by pampas View Post
                                Why can they just not leave us smokers alone, i have not read one thread yet where someone gets critisised for drinking.
                                Um...do you mean 'they' in the wider world, or on this forum, 'cos as far as I can see, everyone has pretty much wisely kept their counsel and by and large the only slightly 'passionate' responses have been from pro-smokers?

The OP was annoyed that a shopkeeper didn't sell cigarettes on National No Smoking day. Some will agree with his decision, some won't. Such is life.
                                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X