Abu Dhabi, Dubai - UAE
    Pleasanton, CA - USA
    Dunwoody, Atlanta, GA - USA
    Orlando, FL - USA
    Versailles and Guyancourt, Paris - France

Places I've been for a short time:
    Singapore
    Georgetown - Penang
    Managua - Nicaragua (Possibly the worst place I have witnessed - my avatar was taken out of the BA 747 window whilst crossing the Atlantic on my way home)
    Birmingham, AL - USA
    Detroit, MI - USA
    Dallas, TX - USA
    Munich - Germany

There are a few other as well probably, but I forget them now.

Shirls has been to many of these places with me but I think that whilst I get itchy feet, she has very successfully convinced me to stay at home from now on. I will move once more I think - for a bigger garden, double garage for our classic cars to live in and a decent dormer games room for my jukeboxes and bar!
    Last edited by madmax; 21-01-2009, 08:04 PM.
    Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
    Cut your engines, cool your wings,
    You've taken me home...

Comment

While I certainly can't top madmax's count, I'm definitely a mover considering the number of addresses I seem to have accumulated over the years:

As a baby in Lancashire - 2
      toddler to teens in Derbyshire - 1
      whilst at uni, (Herts, Netherlands and Wales) - 5
      post-uni years in St Albans (renting so moved frequently) - 5
      coupla years working in Amsterdam - 3
      back to the UK (Herts then Essex) - 3
      landed back in St Albans 2008 - 1

so, 20 homes in 35 years... hmmm more than I thought actually. I don't really mind moving - as someone has already mentioned you can do a good clear out each time so I've managed not to accumulate too much 'stuff'.
      come visit a garden
      or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Think madmax is winning......

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
          Think madmax is winning......
          It's okay - I have nailed him down now
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            This is the longest I've ever lived in the same place, and to be honest I've been desperate to move for a few years now. But there's no way we'd get this size or bigger house within our budget anywhere else, so looks like we're stuck.
            As a pretty easily pleased stayer putter I find it difficult to understand this. What drives you to want to move? Can understand if you need more / less space, rough area, to be nearer / or further from friends / family but just to move doesn't make sense to me so would be interested to know people's drivers.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I stay put. When we married we moved 4 times in 4 years - renting. Then we moved to the house where we brought up the kids. Lived there for 25 years. Came here nearly 10 years ago. Going out in a box! Definitely a stay-putter for preference.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                Going out in a box!
                Make sure they don't mix you up with the fine china when they move you out Ma!
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I don't have any fine china me dear. Good old chunky mugs and solid plates for me!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    As a pretty easily pleased stayer putter I find it difficult to understand this. What drives you to want to move? Can understand if you need more / less space, rough area, to be nearer / or further from friends / family but just to move doesn't make sense to me so would be interested to know people's drivers.
                    I guess the way I grew up, moving house meant 'onwards & upwards' if that makes any sense? Having been here for over 10 years feels stagnant.

It was never my ideal house, but OH's wages couldn't keep up with the rise in prices in this area, so Dad offered to rent us this one and beggars can't be choosers If Dad sold it now, he'd have to pay capital gains tax on it (price has tripled since he bought it) so wouldn't be enough left to buy another in this area, and the chances of us getting a mortgage are zero!

We've been having quite a problem with space for the last couple of years; the 2 boys share a room which isn't much bigger than a single room, and are constantly 'on top' of each other which leads to no end of bickering, and my daughter's room is a box room above the stair head - fine for a cot, but with her doll's house/baby dolls/barbies etc...

I'd love to be able to build an extension over the garage & utility, get a couple of extra bedrooms... Or just win the lottery and buy the old, old farmhouse & land that I dream of

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      I don't have any fine china me dear. Good old chunky mugs and solid plates for me!
                      Isn't that fine china then?
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        i just get bored lol i'd happily move from here, but for one can't afford to, and 2 i like having a big garden, and not many houses with one as big to rent...... lottery win and i'd be straight down the estate agents

Comment

As a youngun I moved on average every year for the first 22 years, I have only moved once in the last 12 years, and not planning to do so again in the next 20, too many plans for my lottie.
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Barnsley (born here)
                            Preston (dad's job)
                            Edge Hill (1st year Uni)
                            Preston (OH's mum's house)
                            Preston (1st house)
                            Poulton-le-Fylde (2nd house)
                            Preesall (3rd and current house)

No plans to move again unless we win the lottery, and then I want to buy out the oldies next door, knock both houses down and build a dream house!

Comment

owg i used to live in out rawcliffe, so not far from you

Comment

First 23 years one house in Formby, married and had 4 houses in 7 years, moving up the ladder as it were, in and around Formby and the Wirral. Divorced, so had to move for financial reasons, stayed put ten years then reluctantly moved to Bucks to be with the love of my life, now staying put even though its teeny tiny!

Oh, unless we win the lottery that is ... and then it'll just be something a wee bit bigger in the same area.
                                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X