Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have edible snails in our garden!…they are massive!
    The first are escargots de Bourgogne - or Roman snails
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_pomatia
    …. and the huuuge white ones ( Gros blanc) which are even bigger
    I guess they were bred on purpose by previous residents and some escaped, but by heck they don’t half do damage.If you put the tip of your thumb to the tip of your first finger, they’re too big to pass through that hole!

Nope- we don’t eat them - but apparently they should be starved for several days as far as I’m aware to purge them, then fed mashed carrot so when that passes through them you know they are ready to eat. People look excited when we tell them we have them….bit like finding truffles I suppose?

I’ll take a photo for you to check them out.

Lets hope the weather picks up soon - we keep getting tastes of summer- then it starts raining

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I'm giving them a miss Rary, I will happily send them to you to enjoy.

Snoop yuk. I've no intention of eating any snail.
      Last edited by Containergardener; 24-05-2024, 06:25 AM.
      Northern England.

Comment

• Morning
        Foggy /drizzling currently. Looks like on and off rain throughout the day, so unless I go seed sowing in the greenhouse I will be indoors.
        Northern England.

Comment

• Morning

A dull dry day here with temp as high as 13c of for a stroll at some point but apart from that I'll probably be indoors for most of the day.

enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good Morning All Just started raining again. Middle GG coming to see us this morning. Have a good day
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.

Dull and chilly here, but with no rain forecast until tomorrow. Just a trip to the local shops planned ...... more strawberries. Yesterday I got the last two punnets, one for us and one for my brother in law, which I delivered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                Snoop yuk. I've no intention of eating any snail.
                Erm, not sure it was me that suggested them.

Comment

• Morning all.

90% probability of storms this afternoon and evening, just not much rain. Got my fingers crossed.

Finished all my work already. Admin and domestics now call. Get those out of the way and I've got the ideal weekend ahead: weeding, cooking and probably visiting the neighbours down the valley. And a bit of reading if I can find something that appeals.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning all.

Cool and dull, but no rain. The other day I was tidying the garden and found 14 snails under one clump of wallflowers, plus another half dozen on its stems. I don't hold much hope that this was the entire garden contingent. . I call that sneaky, hiding for the day under plants they don't like to eat. They were not the big Roman snails, though I do find those too.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Erm, not sure it was me that suggested them.
                      Ooops I meant Nicos
                      Northern England.

Comment

• No strawberries delivered today at my normal shop, so I popped into the mini-Sainsbury's. I got a decent looking box (yellow stickered, half price), and also yellow stickered asparagus and peppers.

There was no rain forecast for today but despite this it has drizzled more or less non stop and my feet are now frozen.....I was wearing sandals.

Comment

• Drizzle all day here too gf. Seems to be stopping now for tomorrows nice day (just the one day mind).
                          Spent the time cleaning instead, not exciting.
                          Northern England.

Comment

• Out gardening most of the day - mostly weeding the driveway. Tons more to do there
                            I made the most of it by concentrating on doing the areas in full sun
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Stolen our Sun I see
                              Northern England.

Comment

• No rain here today but its been cool enough to need a coat and trousers.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X