Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all! A shower of rain this morning that’s been it so far...fingers crossed the storms keep bypassing us.
    Hope you are feeling ok lottie, sounds as though you have great neighbours.
    Thinking about GF and her grandad’s primus stove brought back memories. My dad had one too. When we were young we lived in Glasgow and he used to take us all over the place on weekends and school holidays. I remember stopping at Loch Lomond one evening and he produces beans to be heated in the primus. Of course you know what happens in the evenings here during summer...out came the dreaded midges. Most I think landing in the beans. We all complained of course and his answer was...och just eat them, it’s protein!!
    That might be one answer to the midge problem, who knows!
    Anyhoo, enjoy your day whatever you are doing. x
    Last edited by Jay22; 28-07-2021, 01:33 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Ha!….that’s just reminded me that my parents caravan has Calorgas lamps on the wall

I loved the smell and they used to make funny stuttering popping sounds as the gas pressure dropped to near empty.

Is this showing my age?

* it was a very, very old caravan…honest!

Oh dear Jay…midges…never really experienced them in vast numbers, apart from one night of unintentional wild camping ( too tired to drive nonstop) in the back of our land rover on our way to Ullapool .
      We had a mozzie net I put across the window we opened slightly so we didn’t suffocate and they clearly saw it as a Krypton Factor challage to get through the tiny holes. We were disturbed so much by the ones which had got through that we decided just to crack on with the journey after just a couple of hours of kip.
      Even thinking about it make me want to scrat my scalp
      The outside of the car was absolutely smothered in midges - clearly attracted by us.
      Last edited by Nicos; 28-07-2021, 10:31 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I remember my dad renting a touring caravan up here in Yorkshire and towing it all the way to Cornwall. That had the gas wall lights. It was a weird sound. I remember the shower block in the campsite with a hot water geyser that had to be fed with shillings.
        Things really were basic and simple back then with very little luxury but they left really good memories. I can still remember eating my first proper Cornish pasty. It was so good. In fact as soon as the weather cools down I think they'll be on my menu again.

Comment

• Morning all,lovely to hear of the camping memories,Nicos that made me laugh,i bet they were bitterly dissapointed ,as for the mozies,i can still remember the Kielder ? forest camping site,never again ,SNAP Bren,am getting my fuzz chopped of shortly,must look my brolly out,but needs must,Snoop,30 is far to hot,hope you get some some sweetcorn and melons,thanks for the kind words friends,it is what it is,still have some squeeks,now it's get on with it,better get organized to go out,have a good afternoon
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Good Afternoon All I also have many happy memories of caravanning many years ago, the most vivid is of my dear FIL after a good night of booze and bingo in the site club, diving out of the caravan in the pouring rain to the toilet block shouting "Geronimooooooo" Thunderstorm here at the moment. Just made a meat plate pie for dinner and one to take to MIL tomorrow. So easy when the pastry is made already. Hope you're healing well Lottie and your hair looks nice ladies
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning all
              Had a right old thunderstorm late yesterday afternoon. I think looking at the skies we missed the worst of it but apart from heavy rain, hail came down the size of marbles. Haven't dared look at the outside toms yet, I don't suppose for one minute it would have done them a deal of good.. Anyway, it's lovely this morning, only 12 degs but completely clear skies and forecast for a bit of sun.

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              You getting a trailer for all those bags of rabbit poo Mr Bones?
              Snoop Puss same trailer but changed my car (it's taken ten weeks to get a towbar for it.. hopefully get it back today ) Love the photo of your Range Rover camper.. very atmospheric.

Kettle's on, help yourselves
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Perfect timing Bones - I’d love a brew please

I’ve been awake on and off most of the night tbh listening to several rain showers; a pair of Tawney owls yabbering on to each other on the tree about 6 ft from the open bedroom window; the local Tom cat asking Hibou to come out to play, and then eventually the dawn chorus which is a good hour later than it was before we went to England.
                Cant believe it’s August on Sunday!

I also can’t believe we’re still having to mow the lawns every 5 days. They are usually brown and crispy by now. They do look lovely though

I was talking to my friend who lives just south of the Arctic Circle in Sweden last night and she sent me a photo of her thermometer reading of 32.3*C at 3pm yesterday. They have had almost a month now that hot. It’s no wonder the permafrost is melting. Bizzare temperatures - I’ve heard about the crazy temperatures in Canada/America but nothing on the news about Sweden.

At least it’s cooled down here and we’ve had rain, so I’m happy with that ( for now!)

Weeding is on the agenda for today but I heard OH mention something about another trip out today in the camper, so we’ll see!

See ya later peeps- nearly weekend again!

Comment

• Nice cuppa - thanks Bones.

Comment

• Morning all. Windy here today, and much cooler but clearer skies so no rain expected. Had a good thunderstorm yesterday evening but the rain only lasted 10 minutes or so.
                    Got an eye test appointment later, put off from last year, so really needed now.
                    have a good day all.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning its a bit fresh here as well mothhawk plus the wind socks horizontal.

After all yesterdays rain my butts are full again, and the gardens looking good. GH overnight temp was only 11c thats the coolest we've had for some time.

Grory hop first I'd best get on.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• We had some heavy downpours yesterday afternoon/evening with thunder. This morning it seems to have settled down a bit to grey and windy. Hard to believe that a few days ago the heat was cracking the flags.
                        Hair appointment this morning.

Comment

• Morning all

Bit parky here this morning but my plan is to get the beech hedge cut today. It should have been done weeks ago and its a bit straggly.
                          I've now got the paint for my newly made wrought ironwork handrail on my re-formed front steps so if weather stays dry I might get some of that painted. Once complete I may even put a piccie on here as I am quite proud of my work.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Would love to see it Snadge!
                            We used to have a thread didn’t we about some of the things we’ve made. Might be worth starting a new one perhaps if we can’t find it?
                            I’m sure there must be loads of things between us that we can share?

Comment

• Good Morning All I'm loving this much more civilised hour of the day to be getting up after a good read and a cup of tea in bed. Sunny here but very windy. Would love to see pictures of things you have made. I generally only make a mess. Have a good day
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.
                                Breezy and cool here but its dry.
                                Off to the park for a walk and a visit to the post office.
                                A trip to jy sons house this afternoon as they are on holiday and we are on " feeding the goldfish duty."
                                Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...