This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

Rained a little bit in the night but hot again today. Had a traipse around the veg patch. The snails and slugs seem to have got wise to my predations in among the cabbages and caulis so have moved over to the tomatoes instead! Never used that emoji before, so just goes to show how cross I am. Compounded by one of the dogs getting in among the peppers a couple of nights back (barged the gate open). Significant damage to the plants and fruit. On the positive side, I found a few of the snail culprits and will now hang cups of beer in among the toms to catch them. And the gate has been reinforced.

Busy work day today. So better step on it. The smiles have gone out with the dogs with Mr Snoop, but they promise to head off from their most northerly point on the walk.

Have a great day everyone.

Comment

• A really frustrating morning. An elderly relative of my husband was supposed to be leaving hospital and returning to her care home yesterday, the hospital had actually rang the previous evening to tell my husband (next of kin). I rang the care home this morning to book a visiting slot. She is still in hospital. I am still trying to get the ward to answer the phone. I have ascertained that she is still on the same ward at least. Although there is limited visiting at the hospital my husband struggles to manage to get all the way from the car park to the ward to visit. It is about time that the architects of such buildings realised that most of the users have limited mobility due to either illness or age. They are even worse than airports to navigate.
      Off to the allotment now before I blow a fuse.

Comment

• GF, if your husband wouldn't be offended, you could maybe book a wheelchair at the hospital for patient use. I used to do this with my mum, as she would have been incapable of walking all the way. I can't remember how much notice I had to give, but I'd just phone, book one and then it would be waiting at reception for us. They sometimes even have porters available to do the pushing.

Comment

• Good afternoon
          Did the grory hop this morning.. there are lots of empty shelves, quite frustrating really.
          Fox removed the front panel from the garden dalek in the night and had a bit of a rummage so had that lot to clear up.

greenishfing not tried roasting grapes but have added whole green ones to a fish pie along with sliced sweet red peppers. They add a lovely sweet, juicy pop of flavour as you bite into them.

Supposed to rain later .. we'll see.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            GF, if your husband wouldn't be offended, you could maybe book a wheelchair at the hospital for patient use. I used to do this with my mum, as she would have been incapable of walking all the way. I can't remember how much notice I had to give, but I'd just phone, book one and then it would be waiting at reception for us. They sometimes even have porters available to do the pushing.
            Thanks. Good idea, but unfortunately he wouldn't do it. When he came out of hospital with two drains in after 2 weeks in bed on one occasion I struggled to get him in a wheelchair to go around Sainsburys. Considering 12 days earlier he'd been at deaths door I couldn't see his problem. Normally I struggle to get him to use his walking stick if he thinks he might see somebody he knows. MEN!! Particularly obstinate old men.

Comment

• ^I expected you to say something like that. On the other hand, maybe you could argue that going out in public round Sainsbury's and going round a hospital, where lots of people are in wheelchairs, is a totally different thing. Not easy, mind. Good luck.

Comment

• Afternoon

We've had a fair bit of rain it was running down the road for a good hour, it was just what my garden needed.

Greenishfing does your hospital run a scuttle train to the wards ours used to be it was fazed out at some point and replaced with a bank of wheelchairs in the foyer.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your helpful answers. Unfortunately when we got our "all new singing and dancing" modern hospital it didn't fulfill lots of basic criteria. This, I must say, is only my lay persons view. However due to one "moan" by me we did get a few chairs just inside the doors to leave patients who struggled to walk while people accompanying them could go and park a car (no good if the person might wander off or not just sit there however). .....
                  I am no expert but have, over the last few years, accompanied a good few of the elderly in-laws for out patients appointments and who wanted to visit in patients (close relatives). I get so frustrated.
                  Whatever anyone says ( particularly architects, morons and idiots) I don't believe anybody thinks through the purpose of such buildings.

Comment

• Good Morning All and Happy Friday Scorchio again and only a few showers, could do with a storm! Have a good day
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning Flo and all

Had a shower of rain last night but it doesn't seem to have been much. Warm and overcast here.

Happy Fridays
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Morning all

Didn't get any work done outside yesterday because the weathr forecasters got it wrong again and I had planned to use the supposed inclement weather to get some stuff done indoors. It turned out to be a nice day outdoors.
                        I don't know why we bother with weather forecast as they seem to get it wrong so many times. I often wonder about the poor people who rely heavily on weather forecasts for their livelihood and are quite often let down by these pen pushers sitting behind a desk and 'guessing' what the weather is going to do. Anyway, rant over for this morning!

Trip to the allotment on the cards today, weather permitting!

TTFN
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Morning all.

Just read the news about the forest fire in the Malaga area. If anyone hears from Bramble, send me a smile back to let me know she's OK.

Rained a bit late last night. Went out to find snails and slugs everywhere. We used not to have a problem with slugs. Horrible things. The tomato plants are now on their last legs. They look even worse in torchlight. Lifted a Rouge Sang carrot and ate it. My previous harvest was red throughout, this one was half the right colour on the outside but orange in the middle. Nice taste, but not what I was expecting. No idea if the aberrant ones were my first lot or these ones.

Nothing for the Vine shows from me except maybe leeks. And I keep lifting the best ones to cook with or give to friends.

Right, that's enough whinging from me. There's always next year...

No idea what the smiles are up to. Frankie went charging through them this morning and they scattered. I presume they'll have regrouped somewhere and headed off in your direction.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning all, not quite as hot but cloudy here. We had a few light showers yesterday afternoon and evening but nothing major. I didn't see any lightening but the thunder kept having a rumble. Rain forecast for this afternoon but we shall see..... My sister is calling round at the allotment later. I imagine the courgettes will have ballooned and multiplied again.

Comment

• Morning

Just measured the rainwater in the trug I left out yesterday its 4cm full i know its not the correct way but it does give me some idea how much fell.

Hair cut today then some shopping and gardening, but that's about it.

Enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

What a rubbish night sleep wise
                                Hibou brought me a massive dead wood mouse for a belated midnight snack and then A couple of hours later I was woken by a clunking sound…Hibou carrying up our wooden staircase a mousetrap with a dead house mouse

Yesterday we had a massive downpour of hailstones followed by heavy rain - flattening loads of plants.
                                I now have horizontal hollyhocks.

Lots of domestics for me and trying to find where the mice are getting in.

Time for other brew?….
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X