Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not raining here yet but according to the "forecast" it should be. According to the weather radar I can't see how we're going to avoid it. I agree about local shops Snadger. Our local town centres have so many "To Let" signs. They are just full of bars and cafes and takeaways. I sometimes wonder if many people actually cook food any more. Part of the problem here is parking in the town centres. One small town/large village nearby actually has free parking and has far more people around than the others. Our local market kept getting redone and then eventually just disappeared.

Comment

• Morning its raining here as well, only been as far as the GH and gate for milk up to yet.

Congrats on your wins FG

We've lost a lot of small shops, the last greengrocers closed earlier this year, family butcher a couple of years ago, we're left with plenty of places to eat, have your nail done or get a tattoo.

enjoy our day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Bright sunshine here at the moment with just a light , high cloud cover.

We’ve decided to attack one flower bed today - cutting back, shredding, mulching, pulling up valerian from the drive where it’s spread to and just a darned good clear up.

When we moved here we created loads of new flower beds to add colour to the garden but it’s getting hard work keeping on top of it ( mostly this year as the weeds have gone bonkers)so we’re now reviewing perennials etc

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Good session in the garden this morning. Plants are going a bit bonkers. The days are getting much shorter and there's a really heavy dew every morning. But the temperatures are still warm, so it's all go. Maybe they think it's spring. Anyway, I've chopped the toms back a fair bit to get rid of old leaves and the like. They've put on loads of new growth in the last couple of weeks or so even though I thought they were on their last legs. Discovered yet more snails clinging to tomatoes and poles, so good to get rid of them. Did a good round of watering. And hand pollinated ten more butternut squash females! Got a few new melons that have emerged from the foliage too thanks to insect pollination. Five weeks or so to our usual first frost. Maybe the plants think it's going to be a long late summer. Fingers crossed.

Got to do something about the snails. I don't think the yogurt pot and beer business is enough. The numbers have diminished but not by much. I have dispatched thousands in the last week or so. Nearly all of them large too. Mr Snoop told me yesterday not to upset the balance of nature. But I don't think so many is balanced. I'm guessing the birds didn't take that many this spring because they were feasting on millipedes and centipedes. What is normal for snails? I did three rounds a couple of nights ago. This after regular outings for days now. On my second round, I picked 80 off a row of about 70 leeks. I didn't count on the first and third rounds but more than that on the first time round, not as many on the third. So, around 250 snails on 70 leeks plus all the ones I didn't spot or that turned up later. All the other plants are the same or worse. The cabbages and caulis are covered not only snails but also slugs. And up till this year we've had next to no slugs whatsoever.

Busyish day ahead plus hospital appointment this afternoon. Yet another follow-up on my nasal polyp op last year. Never had three follow-up appointments before.

Smiles enjoyed the morning in the garden. A bit easier today as not as hot. They floated off after I finished pollinating the squash, so should be with you soon.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning all, dull and humid here so you can have the sun today Nicos.
            We have decided to go shopping.

Snoop, the smiles reached us yesterday evening and everybody had a happy evening

Congratulations on your win gf, what variety of grapes do you grow?
            Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post
              Good morning all, dull and humid here so you can have the sun today Nicos.
              We have decided to go shopping.

Snoop, the smiles reached us yesterday evening and everybody had a happy evening

Congratulations on your win gf, what variety of grapes do you grow?
              Have a good day all,
              I grow Black Hamburgh grapes. I bought the original from the garden centre a year or so after I got my first greenhouse. A "stick" which my husband insisted was dead. My other vine is a cutting off the first one. I usually take cuttings when I give it it's winter prune in the depths of Winter.

Comment

• Smiles got to me this morning - thanks Snoop - looks like an agreement has been reached with 99% of the contents of my moms flat, so I’m feeling utterly relieved.
                Not easy trying to sort this out at a distance

Thats a lot of snails Snoop - (might your neighbours want them if they are edible?)

Ta muchly for the sun bramble…I’ll send it back later if that’s OK?

Right - back to the garden….see ya later folks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Thats a lot of snails Snoop - (might your neighbours want them if they are edible?)
                  I've offered them to friends and neighbours. But when I turn up with the snails, they don't actually want them, can't remember what to do with them re purging and all the rest of the malarkey, don't really like them or someone in the family doesn't. All in all, it's a waste of time, especially as the snails treat any containment vessel as Colditz Castle and find all kinds of ingenious ways to co-operate to escape so they can head back to where I first collected them.

Comment

• Glad you've managed to arrive at agreement over your mum's flat, Nicos. We have to deal with my mum's house now to sell it to pay for her care. I don't think there will be any argument over who has what so much as what happens with what's left. All the photos my dad took, all their holiday diaries, none of us kids has any room for it all but my mum won't want it disposing of. Very sad.

Forgot to congratulate you on the prize and the grapes, GF. Photos for the Vine shows?

Glad the smiles reached you, Bramble. Hope they reach Rary from time to time. After all, they were originally his.

Comment

• I am still waiting for photos from my sister. I didn't go to the show. I just gave her a tray of apples and pears and a few bunches of grapes.She'll be visiting soon for more grapes and sweetcorn.
                      The forecast rain has not materialised so instead of a grory hop I'm off to the allotment now. Rain not forecast now until tomorrow?.

Comment

• Afternoon all.
                        A few smiles made it here Snoop, they must have smelled all the blackberries I picked this morning from the hedgerows. I don't really need more, but it's hard to resist. They've been simmered and sieved and the purée is now freezing in ice cube trays. I had to take out a pie crust to make room, now I need to decide what to do with that. I'm thinking crab apple jelly on the base, then a layer of crème pâtissière, topped off with some sort of fruit, maybe cherry plums or raspberries.....
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Oh yum MH! That sounds utterly fantastic

I’ve come in from gardening- my arms are on strike!….so, if bramble doesn’t want the sun back yet , it’s up for grabs peeps!

Snoop - it’s just the contents that are ‘almost sorted’…next comes the selling of the flat! Hopefully that should be straightforward as it’s in good condition.

Clearly time for a brew - ginger cake anyone?

Comment

• Good Evening All
                            Not been around much lately, so have been catching up with the gossip, you've certainly all been busy. We had a leak last week that brought down the ceiling in the kitchen. The repair was quite costly and I don't think the insurance will cover it, but I'm going to try. They have already said that if I'd put a nail through the pipe accidentally, paying out wouldn't have been a problem! What with that and the car insurance and tax, I don't think I can afford to retire just yet. Sorry, moan over. Have a lovely evening
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Not a drop of rain here all day. Bloody weatherman!! Never mind, I ended up picking yet more blackberries and raspberries so that Mr Gf can be generous with the jelly while still having plenty for himself. It's supposed to pour it down tomorrow now.
                              I still haven't learned not to pick blackberries in shorts and sandals....scratches and nettle stings.
                              Last edited by greenishfing; 13-09-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Good Morning All Much the same as yesterday. Have a good day
                                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X