This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
    Evening, flippin' built in ovens blown up, fan still works so does the light, but no heat, online shopping for a new one, just what we needed before Christmas, but we don't want cold turkey, literally or metaphorically. Night all
    It will probably just be the element? Easily purchased on line and usually only three screws to fit it.

OH wanted a new oven but I managed to get an element (about a tenner methinks) and saved us a bob or two.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Morning all.

Been out to the shops and back already. Our nearest farm co-op with a kind of supermarket opens at 8 am and we were there on the dot. One other customer in the whole place. Shopping now washed and packed away or standing in quarantine. I know they now say surfaces and packaging aren't a problem, but it's a habit now. Best of all, beautiful sea bream for lunch and sea bass for tomorrow. Goodness but I love fish.

And yes, climate change has arrived here too. The first few years we were here, we used to leave 5-litre bottles of water outside and they would freeze solid overnight. That hasn't happened for a few years now. And yes, I remember the foil tops pecked open. I also remember them being forced up on bottles of school milk left by radiators. I hated that milk.

Right, clients to keep happy so better get on with the show. Catch you all later. Have a great day, everyone. Especially you, LD.

Comment

• Good morning, raining here so no garden work just now, going to buy some bird feeding as we are not allowed to go to different areas after six tonight, all the other areas around here will be moving into tier 4 so will get what I need and then sit and watch the birds for the next 3 weeks, Snoop I think someone told me that school children used to get milk every day wel enjoy your day and take pleasure from the things you see around you
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good morning all.
          Dull and grey but its dry.lAn indoor day I think.
          Grandson I'd coming for lunch so thatd as exciting as it gets.
          I resurrected my patchwork project yesterday evening and going to give it another try.
          Started it about ten years ago but as we are locked down I have time on my hands.
          Have a good day all and stay safe.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon n"™alln"™all

The Christmas caaaaake is in the oven!!!!!

fingers and toes crossed it works out!

I had to fiddle with the recipe a tad cos I didn"™t have some ingredients- then OH asked where"™s the treacle?
            I also only used plain flour cos I"™m almost onto my last bag of SR and it could be months before I can get hold of more....so it"™s going to be a slight variation on a theme....hence the added concern

oh Burnie... it could be worse I suppose and happened on Xmas Eve?
            that does actually remind me of many years ago when we had an extension built on our uk home.
            yup - new kitchen and new white goods.
            It was started in the August and it was getting to be a very close call that it"™d be finished in time for Xmas.

5 days before Xmas they were installing the oven only to realise it had a European plug on it
            they instantly ordered an urgent replacement which arrived a couple of days later.
            Guess what? Yup - another European plug
            So 3 days before Xmas I still had no oven.
            Being the laid back and calm person I am ( yeh right! )...I was having the heebie jeebies .
            Xmas Eve , 5pm , the next replacement arrived...and when it was unpacked...guess what?
            Nope you"™re wrong!... it was the exact one with a huuuge bouquet of flowers inside

Christmas was saved!
            well...in reality we could have bbqd the food I suppose!

Hope you get yours sorted soon Burnie.

Cried?.. Moi?...
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I remember many years ago we were going to a friend's finca in Spain for Christmas dinner. There was going to be 14 of us. Their cooker (bottled gas) died on Christmas Eve. Cookers were uncoupled and put in the back of cars. We had a very boozy and great dinner. Another year I had to cancel making Christmas dinner for extended family when my husband ended up in A & E on Christmas Eve and they kept him in. We celebrated at New Year instead.
              These things come to try us.
              On the subject of school milk I hated it in Summer when it got left out in the sun. YUK!!! I still associate yoghurt (devils food) with that taste and can't eat it.
              Cold here again today and drizzling. I've delivered pasta bake and cake to in-laws and then been to the bank for the first time since March.

Comment

• Well what a morning, went to order a new oven, Currys site crashed(apparently due to demand for the new playstation(whatever one of those is), finally got it ordered, arrives next Tuesday, so a weekend with no grill or oven. Been sat in front of the fire toasting bagels for SWMBO lunch, took me right back to the 1950/1960's during the frequent power cuts when we made toast on the fire. Used to do jacket tatties in there too, might give that a go. Tonight's dinner will be something ending with a "ding".

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post

It will probably just be the element? Easily purchased on line and usually only three screws to fit it.

OH wanted a new oven but I managed to get an element (about a tenner methinks) and saved us a bob or two.
                  Had the back off, burnt out inside, wires damaged etc, so decided on a new one, if that manages 15 years like the previous one I won't complain. The new one has a drop down door that then slides under out of the way, so much easier for access instead of leaning over a hot open door.

Comment

• X marks the spot.
                    It sure does, to close the My" windowbox "add it does, but to no avail lol.

Comment

• Well I 've just realised this Sunday is "Stir up Sunday". I might as well go with tradition and make some pudds this weekend. I've just rooted out the recipe so if anyone is interested I'll share it. It makes one big pudding (2 pint basin) or obviously more smaller ones.

6 oz large raisins
                      4 oz currants
                      4 oz sultanas
                      4 oz grated carrots
                      4 oz fresh breadcrumbs
                      2 oz plain flour
                      4 oz frozen butter grated
                      4 oz soft brown sugar
                      ½ tsp ground spice
                      Grated rind of ½ lemon
                      3 tbsp marmalade
                      2 eggs beaten
                      2 fluid oz of brandy (or spirit of choice)

Mix all the ingredients together. Put in bowl(s). Cover with greaseproof and foil. Steam for 5 or 6 hours if in one big bowl. Less steaming if in smaller bowls. I usually make 3 times the recipe and give some small puddings away. I really like it with brandy cream but my sister who always requests 2 smaller pudds swears by rum sauce.
                      I think I'll go put some butter in thefreezer now.

Comment

• Well done and thank you for going to all that trouble GF, if I can get the ingredients I"™ll give this a try! x
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                          Well done and thank you for going to all that trouble GF, if I can get the ingredients I"™ll give this a try! x
                          Let me know if you like it. I know some of the ingredients sound weird but it's the best tasting one I've come across. I bought my first food processor (secondhand at a car boot sale) years ago specifically for the grating of the carrots and butter as it became a "pain" when I used to grate by hand for 3 times the recipe. I usually do two thirds of the steaming when I make it and the other third on Christmas morning. They keep for months.

Comment

• Good grief, GF, against all expectations I actually have the ingredients, but only one pudding basin and it's too big for two. Hmm. I shall look online and see what I can find. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              Good grief, GF, against all expectations I actually have the ingredients, but only one pudding basin and it's too big for two. Hmm. I shall look online and see what I can find. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
                              You can also heat up or microwave leftovers!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

You can also heat up or microwave leftovers!!!!
                                Yes. I've even fried it in butter! We have no microwave oven, too much electricity required.

Anyway, I've found Pyrex bowls on Amazon. I've never made Christmas pud so what do you reckon, half litre or 1 litre? I'm guessing a half for two. And how many for your recipe? Two?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X