Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren , I just freeze the juice in ice cubes mainly to add to desserts etc at a later date.
    Adding it to apple or pear crumble or summer pudding mixes, defrosted onto porridge ( thought that might catch your attention!) I've even added them to savoury dishes like beef casserole to make the sauce richer. I never have enough!
    Good to chuck a few into a mixed fruit jam to subtly change the flavour.

Yesterday I put a cube into a glass of water whilst I was sat outside reading and it added a lovely flavour as it melted.
    Bet it would be nice in a cocktail or simple apple juice drink too.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Yesterdays winds have blown down part of the fucshia magellanica that had grown tall enough to top the fence. I'll have to see if I can tie it up, as it's still smothered in flowers. Don't really want to cut it down yet.

Domestics all done so time to relax for a bit and think whether or not to move the compost dalek back to its old spot (had to move it for the new fence to go up). Better to do it now before all the autumn prunings go in.

Need another cuppa now. have a good day all.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning, nice and bright again, but a heavy Dew, 6.7 in the greenhouse last night, frost in the Glen and some snow on the cards for the hills possibly later this week!!
        Off to Perth today, see ya later, take care all

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Bren , I just freeze the juice in ice cubes mainly to add to desserts etc at a later date.
          Adding it to apple or pear crumble or summer pudding mixes, defrosted onto porridge ( thought that might catch your attention!) I've even added them to savoury dishes like beef casserole to make the sauce richer. I never have enough!
          Good to chuck a few into a mixed fruit jam to subtly change the flavour.

Yesterday I put a cube into a glass of water whilst I was sat outside reading and it added a lovely flavour as it melted.
          Bet it would be nice in a cocktail or simple apple juice drink too.

Nicos I've frozen a fair bit of apple juice but never thought of mixing it , sounds like its handy to have those cubes so thanks for the ideas
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Snoop - do your pharmacists offer the same service?
            When we lived in Barcelona, the pharmacists there did. But here, I'm not so sure. The locals only ever pick the ones they're really familiar with. Tourists would probably use the service, but we get so few of those and they tend not to know where the best places are (fortunately, as our land is one of them). I only ever pick one or two types, but I'm not a massive mushroom fan to be honest. There's something about the texture that I'm never quite convinced by.

I might go and have a look at our blackberries and see if juice is a go-er of an idea. Might slow me down on the evening glass of red!

Comment

• Morning all. Sun/cloud and wind here. I am going to the allotment regardless of whatever the weather does and I am really tempted to leave the mobile in the car and ignore all interruptions.......but I won't.
              I 'm sure I'll have more windfall apples and a mini glut of courgettes is on the cards. The last bunch of grapes is looking lonely on the vine as well.

Comment

• Snoop - My wild blackberries looked decicated until the last rains of a few weeks ago so I thought I wouldn't get any this year but the new ones coming through are juicy.
                After the next week of rain here I'm hoping for more to pick!

My domestic, thornless ones were utter rubbish this year

GF...I have a pile of windfalls to cook down for freezing too.
                The pips are still immature so they are not ready to pick and dry store yet. Won't be long though !
                Last edited by Nicos; 19-09-2020, 08:48 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good Morning All I'm baking for a Macmillan Coffee Morning. It's on Monday. I have to do it today. Do you think they'll be ok in airtight containers till then? I haven't baked cakes for six months so my confidence is lacking Also has anyone used the cups for muffins rather than tulip cases? Sorry, hope you're all ok, I'd better read back to find out. Have a good day
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Afternoon all,what a nice weather the last few days,ref cakes keeping,they should be fine,put the tins in the fridge,or just rape em up well in the fridge,you can always put em in the freezer,they are fine,i sometimes think they taste better,GF thoughts are with you all,
                    Our good news is,we visited the new place of interest,want it even more,we discovered it not only needs a new flat roof,but the ceiling is bowed,and defo will not pass electrics,and still the vendors need stupid money,i had my list of things to check out,poor very young agent wondered what had hit him,upshot is,son will contact said agents on monday,and say,they either accept our last offer,or get central heating in,sort electrics and said extention roof,or we walk away,lets see if they can meet them that with the 10,000 price,left,bet they cannot,we are willing to take it on,as it is,but NOT for full asking price,i tolled agent we are interested subject to ours selling,and price negotiating with vendors,we know i price will be dropped down,and no major works to do,only for vanity,kitchen and bathroom,son cam and picked us up,we had a lovely day,BUT MR would not come inside the bungalow for a look,son also helped with getting him showered and dressed,that was a real eye opener,at what i do,it is such a shame when you remember how he was,bless him,it has show up the real need for the move,still no viewing on ours,cannot think why,everyone says,even our agent,what a lovely property,can you tell i am eager ,hope all are well keep safe,
                    Last edited by lottie dolly; 19-09-2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: missed a word out
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Thanks Lottie Early days yet, I'm sure there will be some interest soon

Comment

• Absolutely agree with LD, FF. Freeze them if you've got space. They'll be perfect. Also, yes to the cup type bun papers rather than the tulip ones. Not easy to get the fancy tulip style here, so cup type is standard for me. Also, I think the cup type are actually a bit easier for removing. And if the first lot aren't up to your usual standards, you'll just have to make a second lot and freeze the first ones for you! Good luck.

Comment

• I've done 2 dozen chocolate orange muffins topped with buttercream and a segment and a coffee and walnut gateaux, hope the customers are forgiving if they don't taste good! There's no room in the fridge or freezer so they can take their chance in the sealed cake carriers. Phew, I'd forgotten how much mess I make. Sun's out here and it's very windy. Sit down due for me

Comment

• Before I try and fight my way through several days of posts I haven’t read, the ad at the bottom won’t go away. I press close and it goes into the full ad. Part of it is irritating because I am actually interesting but not when I’m trying to read the vine.
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

• OK next post. The reason I don’t come on this site as often, despite it being one of my favourites is because there is no “Last unread” choice on any thread. Please, please can we have this back. I can’t be arsed to waste my time rereading posts or reading posts I don’t understand because I missed the previous ones.
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

• Morning all.

The ad and other longstanding members drifting away makes it feel a bit like we're going backwards again. I checked the forum stats the other day. I don't know if it's typical but there were a few members online and 1500 guests visiting, so the site does draw a lot of traffic.

Anyway, busy day ahead. Spent too much of the afternoon yesterday comparing flour mills and flour and transport prices for my next big delivery. Made my decisions, only to make bread with flour from a mill I'd decided against on the grounds that it was too expensive. I'd forgotten how amazing the flour is. But who on earth pays €38.00 for ten kilos of flour? I can only justify it if I buy it for myself as a present at that still unmentionable time of year...

Catch you later, guys. Have one of Rary's smiles and a lovely day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X