This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelling the roses Burnie? Mmm...
    yesterday we had a slight breeze in the garden and I could smell the elderflowers about 100feet away!
    OH has promised to get the brewing bucket out of the attic this weekend so I can get some elderflower champers on the go!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Smelling the roses Burnie? Mmm...
      yesterday we had a slight breeze in the garden and I could smell the elderflowers about 100feet away!
      OH has promised to get the brewing bucket out of the attic this weekend so I can get some elderflower champers on the go!
      Glad you got the humour Nicos…………………………..but really as I walk down the garden path first thing, it is all I can smell, just like Turkish Delight which is doubly cruel as I'm not allowed any as there's too much sugar in it.

Comment

• Morning, folks.

Bright blue and hot, hot, hot already.

On way back from yesterday's outing, we passed some land owned by a farmer renowned for falling out with the people who rent it out or work it for him. Either way, they ploughed last autumn but evidently didn't sow a crop. It's now well over head height with weeds and wild flowers, all starting to dry in the heat and wind. What with this and all the pines and other trees downed by the snow i earlier, we have all the right conditions for an almighty forest fire. I worry every year, but this is the earliest and scariest it's been.

Hospital visit went OK. Visited the shops after and that was bizarre. The only sign of any abnormality was staff being extremely careful and customers wearing masks but behaving as normal. I only went in one, it was just like a social club. Mr Snoop went into another and came out totally appalled. Here it's compulsory to 'llevar' a mask outside. Llevar in Spanish means to wear or to carry. So lots of people on the streets with masks in their hands, not on their face. Something similar happened years ago when it became compulsory to wear crash helmets. Lots of people who rode mopeds would sling the helmet their arm rather than put it on their head. That soon came to a halt when loads of them broke their elbow joints in otherwise minor accidents and so lost the use of their arms.

Vet coming this afternoon to jab dogs for rabies and give them assorted pills for worms. Sadly, he will likely also be putting down the aged cat.

Oh, this post comes across as sad/mini rant. Sorry about that. On the positive side, aged cat has had a really good life and hasn't had any really significant illness till now. House is full of food (Mr Snoop doesn't know where we'll put it all). And the heat is drying up the fields, slowly but surely.

Will catch you later. Hope you all have lovely days. Thanks to all mods, recognised with banner and otherwise. Good luck with the hair decision, LD.

Comment

• Morning another day of sunshine. i watered earlier. so not much to do in the garden today.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Morning, folks.

Bright blue and hot, hot, hot already.

On way back from yesterday's outing, we passed some land owned by a farmer renowned for falling out with the people who rent it out or work it for him. Either way, they ploughed last autumn but evidently didn't sow a crop. It's now well over head height with weeds and wild flowers, all starting to dry in the heat and wind. What with this and all the pines and other trees downed by the snow i earlier, we have all the right conditions for an almighty forest fire. I worry every year, but this is the earliest and scariest it's been.

Hospital visit went OK. Visited the shops after and that was bizarre. The only sign of any abnormality was staff being extremely careful and customers wearing masks but behaving as normal. I only went in one, it was just like a social club. Mr Snoop went into another and came out totally appalled. Here it's compulsory to 'llevar' a mask outside. Llevar in Spanish means to wear or to carry. So lots of people on the streets with masks in their hands, not on their face. Something similar happened years ago when it became compulsory to wear crash helmets. Lots of people who rode mopeds would sling the helmet their arm rather than put it on their head. That soon came to a halt when loads of them broke their elbow joints in otherwise minor accidents and so lost the use of their arms.

Vet coming this afternoon to jab dogs for rabies and give them assorted pills for worms. Sadly, he will likely also be putting down the aged cat.

Oh, this post comes across as sad/mini rant. Sorry about that. On the positive side, aged cat has had a really good life and hasn't had any really significant illness till now. House is full of food (Mr Snoop doesn't know where we'll put it all). And the heat is drying up the fields, slowly but surely.

Will catch you later. Hope you all have lovely days. Thanks to all mods, recognised with banner and otherwise. Good luck with the hair decision, LD.
            I hope your day gets better as it goes along, losing a pet is never nice and the increase in fires is now something we even have to worry about in normally very wet Scotland. Stay safe.

Comment

• Shall I swap my champers for your Turkish delight Burnie? (* hopes it's the one covered in thick chocolate...)

Snoop -hope you're not too sad about your lovely cat this afternoon. Never a decision you have to take lightly but you've clearly gone out of your way to create a lovely home and quality of life over the years.

Does your local authority have any sway in land use and fire control? Thinking of compulsory fire breaks etc? Might be worth enquiring as it seems to be the way to go for the future in some areas.

I was appalled too in the hypermarket I was in this week - especially as I'd recently been in the local hospital and saw what safety measures were being taken there. Glad your visit went OK x
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning
                Thought I posted yesterday but mustv forgot
                All this talk of Turkish delight , mmm yes please.
                Snoop sorry to hear about your cat/vet visit .

Very warm so we have been out earlier with the dogs, even that was rather warm .
                Managed to get tumbler Tom's into gh . Today I need beans plants , cucs, and hopefully rest of toms (cordon shirley) in the gh. Also have lots of weeding , strimming, seed sowing.
                Have filled water butt and watered/fed all.who need it.
                The great tits in the old water feature are still in and out and happy for me and dogs to be around now.
                Had a street chat with neighbours yesterday putting the world to right.
                ..better crack on or il get nothing done.
                Have a good day.
                Northern England.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                  Another beautiful sunny day.

Snoop, so sorry to hear about losing your pet cat.
                  We had two, one had to put asleep due to injuries and the other went away and we never found him.
                  We had them both for 12 years so definitely a part of the family.

There is a red alert warning here in parts of Ireland for forest fires, everything is do dry.

Hope all have a good day and stay safe.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• HI all,hot again,done some plot watering,having a coffee,then need to do sumat in the garden,in dribs and dabs with the heat,hope all are safe.
                    Just to say i for 1 will miss our member of inspirational ideas,i concidered her a good virtual friend,and hope her mind can be changed,no idea what's going on behind the scenes,i never ever thought this would happen,i wish all that have chosen not to look in anymore,all the best and good luck in all you do X.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• I’ll be thinking of you and MrSnoop this afternoon it’s always sad to lose a pet that been with you for a long time. We never replaced our 18 year old collie when her time was up. Instead we borrow daughters dog now and then.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Its warm as toast.
                        I waited for some shade to appear while getting on with a few loads of washing .
                        Have managed to pot on some tomatoes , cucs and chillies.
                        Have some shirley now in position with the tumblers and a larger cuc about to be done. Hoping to get beans done tonight. I normally have them in tubs with a cane structure on the deck that still needs re stained so I'm putting them in front of the pergola. Can't decide whether to just try them in the ground rather than tubs . I also have some purple beans.
                        ...what to do , decisions.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• Too hot to do much today, just sat chillin', did a bit of weeding and watering earlier and will water those newly planted bits later along with the onions and carrots.

Comment

• Good afternoon. Hot, hot, hot. So sorry to hear about your cat Snoop. Also sorry to hear VC is leaving us. I hope she changes her mind.

My eldest son said he was coming over today to check up on me but he hasn’t appeared yet and I would now prefer he didn’t as I’ve been batch cooking and my feet are swollen and I’m tired.

My GYO mag arrived today with the usual fantastic seeds, apart from beetroot which I love but doesn’t like me.

My batch cooking is a bit unorthodox, I always have tinned tomatoes in the cupboard but it turned out I haven’t and I know they’re not on my pot luck for today. So I’ve used a lot of tomato paste, tomato ketchup and the 4 salad tomatoes I had in the fridge.

I planted some lemon pips a couple of weeks ago and they’ve germinated. I now need to have a go at oranges and limes.

I set up my garden table and chairs for the first time today, the parasol is broken. It was relatively expensive and I have no idea how it could have happened. I’ll have a look when it’s cooler and see if I can fix it.

Laters.
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

• Good evening all.
                              Another hot day. Spent the afternoon potting on my peppers into their final sized pots.
                              There are buds on them all, 13 in total but none have opened yet.
                              Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Evening everyone. Just a quick visit to say hi - it’s been sooo busy in the garden had no time to jump online till now. Tell me I’m not the only one with seed trays and pots waiting to be planted out encroaching onto the lawn - OH is not amused when it comes to doing the mowing .
                                All at once I hear your voice
                                And time just slips away
                                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X