Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do they say about the best laid plans. Mine was to fix an alternative fastener to the zip that keeps breaking on the PT. and clear the rest of the wood that’s in the way of my prospective veggie patch. Neither of those has happened. Oh, and hang the washing out. That was a bit dubious as the weather forecast put us on the border of rain/no rain.

I had a pot luck delivery on Sunday evening. I put the stuff for the fridge and freezer away immediately and the rest I left until today. I didn’t realise that they could find garlic corms even smaller than the ones delivered 3 weeks ago. As for baking potatoes, there were larger ones in the bag of ordinary spuds. But the piece de resistance was the ginger. I picked up this bag and wondered what I had ordered so much of. Now I’ve still never got the hang of metric weights and measures. This isn’t because I’m daft, when I was brought up I can judge pretty well in lbs and ounces and liquid measures in pints. There was >1.5 lb of fresh ginger. What would anyone do with that amount? So I looked at their site and I have the lowest quantity on offer online. It’s flipping ridiculous.

So I’ve spent the afternoon peeling, slicing apportioning and freezing a pound and a half of ginger which will probably last 2 or 3 years.

"I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

• Just popped in to say goodnight.
      It was raining when I woke up this morning and it's still raining now.
      Lucky for me I had planned to meet up with friends for lunch.
      It put in a good part of the day.
      This evening my daughter in law stopped in for an hour with our grandson.
      Tonight my daughter called in for an hour.
      Family, what would we do without them.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Evening hope this finds you all well! Been in Ayrshire for a few days weather was so so until today...beautiful sunny day and quite warm, typical the day we have to come home!
        Hope you all had a lovely day. Night x
        sigpic

Comment

• Good Morning All Drizzling here. Off to work today. Have a good day
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Mornin Flon'all
            Sorry -I think we have pinched your sunshine

I hope it stays nice as I need to do the final potting on of 19 tomatoes on the garden table. Don't really want to be making a muddy mess everywhere ( yes-I AM a messy gardener!) .

Sorry to hear about your weather hay -even so , it must have been lovely for a change of scenery?

Gosh Bramble -what a sociable day!!!!

Janie! Wow -that is bonkers!
            We use a lot of ginger - it's a good anti inflammatory

Time for a brew... kettle's on!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all. Morning Jay, hope you had a lovely trip.

Janie, could you make ginger syrup or even ginger chutney? Or let some sprout and plant it?

Got a ridiculous day ahead. Hospital visit, shopping and then home to get on with more work. The hospital is safe, the shops feel a bit risky. Anyway, needs must. Need to get cat biscuits, if nothing else.

Catch you later, guys. Have a good one, whatever you get up to.

Comment

• Morning All
                Good luck at the hospital and shops Snoop.
                Popped down the lotty this morning just to be out and about, it was really quite pleasant in a damp and dripping sort of way. Very wet everywhere after yesterdays rain and still light drizzle. Yesterday we were only saying how dry everywhere was getting.
                I'm guessing the slug nematodes we used a few weeks back are working, usually on mornings like this the path would be dotted with dozens of tiny black keel slugs but didn't see one today. Hoping they're not all just living it up in the potato bed, (was too expensive to do the whole plot).
                Shopping for us too in a bit

See you later

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Grey and drizzling here again. I don't think the weather is going to improve much until the weekend. I actually did some housework yesterday and a trip to the supermarket (too many people, too close together). I've got to go to the allotment even if only to water the greenhouses.
                  Janie you can make homemade stem ginger with excess ginger (fresh or frozen). A small jar makes a nice present.

Comment

• Morning another wet and damp day here looks like the rains here to stay for a few days so won't be getting much done in the garden. Its made the sweet peas smell good so its not all bad.
                    Enjoy your day.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I've never known my sweetpeas to be so good as this year
                      They have self seeded in gravel for the past 4or 5 years and from being a mixture of colours are now a variation of several shades of extremely pale violet. They smell incredible too.

I've been taking bunches every 3 days or so for well over a month and they are still going strong! They clearly love this mix of weather -even if they are growing horizontally along the path

Comment

• Morning all

My patio fruit trees in pots keep getting blown over so I bought a large bag of compost to re-pot them into larger pots.

I didn't realise I needed one 40 litre to fill one single pot! Now I need to buy another three bags to pot on the rest.

The other thing I didn't realise is that once pot is full, I can hardly lift pot.

Have a good day folks and TTFN.
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Good morning all.
                          A dull start to the day but its finally dry.
                          No plans for the day so I may go walking while the rain stays off.

Yes Nicos, friends and family are like buses, when one comes along thrn comes three.

The smell of the sweetpeas after the rain is wonderful.
                          I also have lilys and their perfume in the evening is wonderful.

Having said all that the garden has had enough rain now.
                          Have a good day all and stay Safe.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon all. Weather has been good so far although it is starting to dull down a bit. Hospital this morning originally for check up then treatment on Friday. They decided just to the treatment today too to cut down the amount of visits to hospital...happy with that!
                            Off to have a coffee...nothing to eat goody wise though bah!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Just picked and topped and tailed some guzz gogs to go with some strawberries under a crumble, oh boy do love a crumble

Comment

• * passes Jay a choc ice....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X