Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire tea bags in a pot at home, bought by the sackful from Amazon. Earl Grey leaf tea at work in a pot for one. Always got to be a bone china cup and saucer for to
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Tea is my drink of choice. Made properly and not the method some American woman posted on the internet recently. I’m still appalled that she stated categorically that that is how we Brits made it. Coffee on the other hand is a drink from hell. I started drinking it in the 6th form at school ‘cos we had a “common room” and all of 20 mins break . We felt so grown up drinking coffee. It was the most cheap instant we could buy at the time. Topped up with the free school milk. I realised recently that I don’t actually have to drink the horrid stuff. And Starbucks and Costa stuff are the worst.
      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
      Oxfordshire

Comment

• Good to see you lottie, hope you are well. Missed you on the forum!
        sigpic

Comment

• Funny, you lot are chatting about tea and I’m getting ads all down the side for...tea!
          sigpic

Comment

• Good morning everyone. Lottie dolly, glad you're posting again. We did miss you.

Tea - I make a pot for breakfast, then use a teabag during the day, or make a pot of mint tea with black peppermint from the garden.
            I remember back in the 60's a friend of my mother's who used to make tea in a saucepan, adding more water each time she boiled it up, then when it got very weak, she added another teaspoon of leaves to the pan. I never found out how often she emptied the whole thing out to start afresh, but she certainly kept it going for at least a week at a time.
            Needless to say, after the first time, I never accepted the offer of tea. It would have melted spoons! I guess it was economy still practised from the war.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Mornin n'alln'all

wow MH ...what a way to make tea! As you say -probably post war.
              I've seen here in the Vide Greniers (car boot sales) special things to put acorns in and roast them over a fire. When I looked puzzled at that idea I was told that you then grind them and use inplace of coffee grains. Another post war 'make do and mend'.

I'm just nipping in as I'm off in a sec to go shopping for the diy stuff we didn't go for the other day. It's already getting very hot so want to get back before the heat of the day.

See y'all later!... nearly weekend... BBQ to plan....
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Re Tea, don't like it I'm afraid, usually start the day with a couple of mugs of mint tea (not he one that tastes like toothpaste..), have a licorice one in the afternoon and a coffee in the evening.

Bright but overcast today and pleasantly mild.

Have a good'un
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  I've seen here in the Vide Greniers (car boot sales) special things to put acorns in and roast them over a fire. When I looked puzzled at that idea I was told that you then grind them and use inplace of coffee grains. Another post war 'make do and mend'.
                  Here, some of the old oak trees are renowned for being 'sweet', meaning the acorns are good for making flour or for 'coffee'. A tree like this on your land was an important resource during and after the Civil War. Nobody uses them anymore and I guess eventually the knowledge will disappear unless things go apocalyptic in the near future.

Anyway, morning all.

Mr Snoop says it's going to be a hot one today. No news there, but perhaps not quite as hot as tomorrow and over the weekend, when the mid-40s look likely. Warm nights too, which I hate.

Not much news. Had a busy day yesterday in the end, leaving me no reason to put off getting to grips with the bit of paid work I've got for August. An afternoon nap is definitely on the cards.

Have a great day, everyone. Catch you later.

Oh, Nicos, tell us more about this broad bean flour.

Comment

• Good Morning All Coffee break, good old instant as I'm WFH. Dull here. Have a good day
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Afternoon, just a quick hello, hope you are all well and having a good day! x
                      sigpic

Comment

• Good afternoon it has been a lovely comfortable morning but a lot of black cloud moving in now, doing some small jobs about the garden and just taking advantage of it being a dry day, just having a cup of tea then will be back out
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• When there is talk about tea it reminded me of when I worked in the steelworks I used a double sided tea caddie (ovel cans with devider in the middle one side marked for tea the other for sugar) what we did was half fill either side with tea then top up with sugar there were no kettles or boilers for hot water so to boil up the tea drum usually made out of a syrup tin or baby milk powder tin, you got a hot plate from the furnace and brought the water to the boil emptied one side into the can and let it boil for a short time, if you weren't finished with your tea when you needed to go and attend another furnace the can was covered with you piece box then reboiled when you came back and it tasted fine
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon.
                            Just back from the hairdressers.
                            Looking after my grandson this evening.
                            Have a good day.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon, shopping then gardening here today not done much else, might have to hoover we’re getting a lot of seeds from our Silver Birch tree I do love the tree but the seeds are a pain.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                                When there is talk about tea it reminded me of when I worked in the steelworks I used a double sided tea caddie (ovel cans with devider in the middle one side marked for tea the other for sugar) what we did was half fill either side with tea then top up with sugar there were no kettles or boilers for hot water so to boil up the tea drum usually made out of a syrup tin or baby milk powder tin, you got a hot plate from the furnace and brought the water to the boil emptied one side into the can and let it boil for a short time, if you weren't finished with your tea when you needed to go and attend another furnace the can was covered with you piece box then reboiled when you came back and it tasted fine
                                Really enjoyed reading that, Rary. I bet any drink would have been welcome in a steelworks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X