Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checked the temperature of the muck in my hotbed and found it had dropped just below 30 c, so I then sifted a load of topsoil and added about a 6" layer on top of the muck and put the lid back on to let it warm the soil. I'll soon be planting out my sweet potato plants in there and a watermelon or two, once they germinate.

Also, I cleared up the bed behind my greenhouse, forked it over, added fb&b and planted 3 varieties of shallots. Then I sowed a short row of Sutton broad beans, spinach for baby leaf and sowed Northern Lights leeks in a pot for planting out later.

Oh, and finally, I got the tractor out and delivered a trailer load of horse 5h1t to a neighbour for his garden.

Comment

• Cleared a raised bed and chucked in onion sets. Rebuilt a door on the pollygreentunnel thing. Slight sunburn
      sigpic
      1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• This morning I topped the pocket handkerchief lawn for the first time this year. It'll get trimmed a bit more at the end of the week and then moss killered halfway through next week if the weather hasn't gone berserk. I'm not sure that it's the ideal sequence, but it's what is likely to happen.

Took the tops off the propagators in the greenhouse today and removed the lights off the low temperature one. This evening, I not only put the tops back on, but powered up the thermostat for the greenhouse heater for the night for the plants outside the propagators.
        Last edited by Mark Rand; 23-03-2020, 12:13 AM.
        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Planted my new sour cherry tree.

Dug over two more patches for the dwarf mulberry and black raspberry I bought over the winter.

Comment

• Planted my freesia corms in three containers in the greenhouse.
            Added supports for the sweetpeas that now need to be planted out,
            Weeding and tidying.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Started my £25 new to me hobby 400 rotovator, she’s a peach.. fresh petrol and 3 pulls and off she goes.

Planted 2nds and maincrop, still some to do.

Comment

• Finally got round to planting my onion sets. Got most of them in the allotted space but am left with a part-bag of Sturon to find a home for. I would stick them in with the carrots to try and confuse the Carrot Fly, but the carrots are going in a known White Rot affected area, so that's out. If all else fails, I might stick them in between some of the others and take them as immature onions for salad.

Comment

• Finished planting main crop spuds along with 75 parsnips and 300 autumn king carrots.

That may be the last of it all depends on the local authority decision

Comment

• After work, sowed a whole pack of 56 Sweet Corn "Incredible". Some for us, some for the kids, and a 24 module tray of Lakeland lettuce.

Comment

• I repotted brussel sprouts plants from modules into individual pots to develop further before I plant them out, also did some cauliflower plants. I have another module tray with what I thought was cabbage but I suspect might be brussel sprouts again, though I don’t remember planting 2 module trays.
                      I also need to plant out some onion plants I have grown from seed. The last lot I planted out are doing fantastic in an outdoor raised bed

Comment

• Did lots of small jobs today.
                        Planted my black raspberry and dwarf mulberry.
                        Used the last bag of spent hops (can't get any more for a while, sadly) to mulch them, and some other soft fruit.
                        Weeded around the akebias.
                        Dug over a strip to plant my peas in later.
                        Started digging, and edging with roof tiles, one of the small beds, where I plan to plant my carrots.

Also, I bought some Violet Queen potatoes (blue ones) from Tesco last week, and they were so tasty I've decided to try and grow the last five, so I've given them a good wash and put them somewhere light and warm to chit.
                        Some sources say they are second early, others an early maincrop. We shall see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
                          After work, sowed a whole pack of 56 Sweet Corn "Incredible". Some for us, some for the kids, and a 24 module tray of Lakeland lettuce.
                          I grew those sweetcorn 2 years ago and they did really well. Both me and the mice loved them and you do get a lot of seeds in the packet for sweetcorn. I'll be growing them again this year but a bit early for me to sow them just yet.
                          The farmer is still muckspreading the field next to us (doesn't smell too much) beforee he sows his maize for animal feed.

Comment

• Tried to tidy up a bit, well as far as I could within my power! Lean to greenhouse has about had it, but cleared the debris anyway. Recycled some compost and filled some modules ready to sow. Tired now so seed box out to decide what to grow
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Dug out Another washing up bowl of dandelions from the lawn, emptied a compost bin on a bed then turned another. General weeding and 'removing ivy.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Potted up a few more chillies into 1lt pots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X