Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I mowed the front & back lawns for the first time this year,it was a bit wet & I did the edges it looks nice now. Weeded amongst the onions & the beds. Cleaned the bird bath & topped the feeders up.

Comment

• Started potting on chillies into 1lt pots.

Comment

• Potted on my Romaro peppers.
        Potted on the last of my tomato plants.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Sowed some beetroot-cylindra.

How long do spring onions take to jump up? It's been 2 weeks and I'm concerned!

Comment

• Planted out 20 Broad bean plants and put some 1st earlies under glass in the straw hotbed.

Comment

• Drilled lots of holes in the bottom of a big old loft water tank and sifted topsoil into it, a time-consuming and surprisingly strenuous task. Then I sowed a load of Early Nantes carrots in it, watered and covered the top to stop it getting a dry crust ( not likely in recent weather but taking no chances) Once they germinate I'll uncover it.

I also used up some of the raspberry canes I pruned out a while ago to make a sort of woven support for the first of my peas, which are up about 2" now.

I made a little tour of inspection and found that a coupe of the asparagus crowns I planted last year have started to shoot and my Victoria plum is showing first signs of blossom opening.

Comment

• Sown seeds.
                Started tidying the big tunnel.
                Stretched and buffed a deer hide.

Comment

• Multi sown boltardy beetroot four per module and white Lisbon spring onion approx 8-10 per module, put up my blowaway greenhouse frame, the cover needs a repair.
                  I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

• Originally posted by .commander View Post
                    Sowed some beetroot-cylindra.

How long do spring onions take to jump up? It's been 2 weeks and I'm concerned!
                    Outdoors? Probably longer than that this time of year.
                    Onions of all types are notoriously slow to germinate, and cold soil makes them all the slower.
                    For early spring onions, you may want to sow some in a tray indoors, then transplant them bare-root or in small clumps, as you would with leeks, once they're about 2mm thick.
                    Last edited by ameno; 13-03-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Just tidied up the garden and put in 2 new beds, going for a mostly edible garden this year. Maximising space as much as possible.

Comment

• Finished filling my hotbed frame with horse muck and old hay, moistened with a few gallons of liquid compost activator of human origin I've been saving. I'm not sure I'll be able to move tomorrow after all that barrowing and mixing. Now to watch the temperature soar then decline, then top it off with 6" of sieved topsoil and get planting.

After that, I pricked out 32 tomato seedlings into 3" pots and labelled them. Then potted on two of my sweet potato plants into 6" pots to keep them growing away nicely so I can take cuttings to increase my stock for planting out in the hotbed. Also potted on the first of my cucumbers into a 6" pot. The other cues can wait till next weekend.

Finally, while fiddling about in the messy area behind the greenhouse, I managed to badly gash my knuckle on some broken glass I'd been meaning to get rid of so now have a whopping great dressing around the middle finger on my right hand. Day off gardening tomorrow looks likely.

Comment

• Busy day at work but on way home I popped into Morrisons and, after asking nicely (shy bairns get nowt 'n all that), was given 24 free buckets previously used (I think) for cut flowers. That's my tomatoes & cucumber containers sorted out! Just need to drill some holes in the bases for drainage.
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Planted out my first and second early spuds
                            Planted cucumber, peppers, toms and loofah in the propogator.
                            My neighbour's green bin was full of whippy branches- i put them through the shredder and it was less than a quarter-full, took that, two bags of chippings from my garden, and two boxes of coffee grounds to the plot to boost my compost heap.

Comment

• First time out in ages.
                              Cleared up the cat poo, did some weeding of the raised beds. Tidied up odd leaves of the Cavalo Nero and some sprouting broccoli leaves for dinner.

There are a couple of self-seeded lettuces there too.

Made me feel quite optimistic. Going to plant up a few spuds and sow seeds tomorrow.
                              If I am going to be confined to barracks poisibly, I may need all the fresh veg and fresh air I can get.

Comment

• Sowed some more cucumber - marketmore as I recall (it was a couple of hours ago)
                                Potted on some Telegrah Cukes and some de Nice courgettes - I'm expecting some self-inflicted fatailities amongst the cukes, less so the courgettes
                                sigpic
                                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X