Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 pelleted carrot seeds sown, and 2 rows of arron pilot earlies.

Comment

• bought some decent looking chilli plant strips and have installed them in the polyhousetunnelgreen thing
      sigpic
      1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Tattie plot turned over in readiness and lifted the last of the carrots for soup, cake and stews, added manure to the bed and covered with fleece. Last year I bought some green fleece instead of the usual white stuff, it was a similar price, but is thicker and seems to last a lot longer, now as long as it will compost eventually, that seems like good stuff.

Comment

• Sowed tomatoes, lettuce in modules, peas for shoots, and garland chrysanthemum.

Repotted my fig and my trifoliate orange. Tried to repot my blueberry, but discovered that it had been almost entirely devoured by vine weevil larvae.

Repotted two of my orchids. One of them wasn't even in its pot anymore: not one living root was inside the pot, they were all just growing out all over the place, including a couple over a foot long which had glued themselves to the windowsill.
          Last edited by ameno; 20-03-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Planted some more onion sets (bought a second pack in Poundland yesterday).

Dug in some poultry manure and sand into the potato patch, then planted my first and second early potatoes (6 Homeguard, and 12 Kestrel). Maincrop will go in mid-ish April.

Comment

• sowed my first potatoes of the year in the poly tunnel raised beds. I’ve sown Nicola they are a second early and not due to be planted till April but that’s for outside so I’m taking a chance with them. I also dug some carrots from last year and they are still as sweet as ever. I topped my curly kaleto stop it going to seed, I might be to late though.
              General tidy up in the yard and got some turf and logs in.
              Cut the grass and cleaned down the ride on.

Comment

• Dug over our raised beds, edged the large bed (9metres) with decking board, laid foundation for greenhouse we are moving from our other smaller plot. My wife fed and fleeced the strawberries, mulched the blueberries with ericaceous compost planted out more seeds.

Mowed and strimmed the paths

Now I ache

NB: interesting watching who took precautions with the gate locks, gloves and gel everywhere but a lot of people just carried on as normal. Had a worrying email from the town council saying they may shut the plots.

Comment

• Planted all my potatoes today. My back will regret this tomorrow.

Comment

• I have a lot of weeding to do tomorrow, might just take the rotovator out and plough through them. Have some leeks to lift as I need the ground space, so I reckon it will be leek and spud soup and cock a leeky pie tomorrow

Comment

• I was tidying up & there’s this old bit of furniture I didn’t know what to do with,there’s no space for it here inside but there is space outside,it’s a 9” deep planter now I just need to paint it in a minute,I don’t know what to do with the old linen basket yet but the canvas cotton thing looks like planter pockets inside,it’s got three compartments. This is what I’ve done so far,you can see it was easy to do,I just put the wood from the top & base onto the sides -
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	C8325A07-7409-45F4-90AF-E7FAC483073D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2386656 Click image for larger version

Name:	12BD7039-D0B5-45D9-B815-E47088469A42.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2386657

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot28 A&B View Post
                        NB: interesting watching who took precautions with the gate locks, gloves and gel everywhere but a lot of people just carried on as normal. Had a worrying email from the town council saying they may shut the plots.
                        Using hand sanitiser or gloves for gates and locks on an allotment seems rather an overreaction, to be honest.
                        You can't catch it just by touching a contaminated surface. You need to touch the surface and then transfer the virus to a facial orifice. And seeing as it's an allotment so your hands are going to be muddy, anyway, it seems very unlikely you would be touching your mouth, nose or eyes. And, again, because your hands will be dirty, anyway, you'll always be washing your hands when you return home, in any case.

Comment

• Cleaned out the greenhouse, emptied pots on to veg beds, swept, tidied up etc. Hoping tomorrow to fill pots with fresh compost from heaps and maybe even sow something!
                          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Today: very little
                            Yesterday: planted out final spuds, took 2 wheelie green bins to the compost heap and built a new bay on the compost heap

Comment

• Cleared and then dug the small patch where I plan to plant my new sour cherry tree. This was more work than it sounds, as it was where I was storing my stacks of roof tiles, my canes, and other assorted junk.

Laid cardboard mulch around the newly-weeded goji berry.

Weeded the raspberry bed.

Comment

• Cut the grass, all 2,500 sq meters of it!!! Can’t have my usual grass cutters I because of the virus
                                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X