No announcement yet.

It's a long shot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my blood is seething with envy, have to question the authenticity of that pic though, it's not raining *lol*

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      Well now that's a million dollar question!

I honestly don't know.
      It's a big question. Living on site is difficult because you spend a lot of time just dealing with the inconvenience of trying to cope in less than ideal conditions (no running water, etc.). If your current home is nearby or you can rent somewhere close without spending a lot of money, it might make life more comfortable and even keep your project whizzing along faster than it otherwise might.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        It's a big question. Living on site is difficult because you spend a lot of time just dealing with the inconvenience of trying to cope in less than ideal conditions (no running water, etc.). If your current home is nearby or you can rent somewhere close without spending a lot of money, it might make life more comfortable and even keep your project whizzing along faster than it otherwise might.
        We already rent practically next door to the possible site. Very high chance tenancy will be up before new place is liveable ( if it ever gets that far ). Never owned our own home. This is our only chance of that ever happening.

Comment

Originally posted by SelkirkAlex View Post
          my blood is seething with envy, have to question the authenticity of that pic though, it's not raining *lol*
          Between showers . Me and the dog got soaked walking home

Comment

Caravan/camper van/yurt?

Comment

depends on available space, but how about using the wall remnants to build a walled area somewhere between a walled garden (wind break) and the plantie-scrubs used by crofters in the outer isles?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Caravan/camper van/yurt?
                Possible . We should have another ( hopefully ) 18 months here. With a bit of luck we should know if this building thing is really going to happen by then. Than we can panic about our temporary accommodation

Lots of caravans come up for sale on our local buy & sell FB page.

Comment

Nowt to do with me and I hope I am not speaking out of turn but I would question the need for an architect?

Surely if you choose a pre fabricated wooden building there are enough standard varieties about to cover your needs, unless your plans are for a bespoke property that none of the 'Off the shelf' properties cover?

A solicitor would be a must I would think though.

Will we see you on Grand Designs!

PS You are living my dream if only I was 20 years younger and had the money.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wishing you well SP, might be a silly question but what species is the area set up to protect, and have you considered approaching programs like Grand Designs as I would imagine there would be an income from programs like that
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Nowt to do with me and I hope I am not speaking out of turn but I would question the need for an architect?

Surely if you choose a pre fabricated wooden building there are enough standard varieties about to cover your needs, unless your plans are for a bespoke property that none of the 'Off the shelf' properties cover?

A solicitor would be a must I would think though.

Will we see you on Grand Designs!

PS You are living my dream if only I was 20 years younger and had the money.
                      Can't be off the shelf as it has to be within the existing ruin ( possibly including some of it ).
                      Definitely not on grand designs! They wouldn't have a bleeper machine that could keep up with me
                      Very happy to have ( the second! ) architect. First one we phoned, just said don't bother trying! We tried going with a builder first. That bu@@er didn't turn up.

Not even getting to the first hurdle has been a battle.

I wish we had the money as well ! You wouldn't believe me if I told you the budget we are working with.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                        Wishing you well SP, might be a silly question but what species is the area set up to protect, and have you considered approaching programs like Grand Designs as I would imagine there would be an income from programs like that
                        The SPA is for golden eagles. Yes they will and often do fly over head. But they're not well known for wading knee deep in a bog. Which is what we're trying to build in. Just to make things easy for ourselves

No grand designs, I'm very camera shy . But have considered it because in my tiny head having Kev involved might help sway things in our direction. But I doubt it.

Comment

If you are building on a bog you will probably have to 'pile' it which will be an extra expense!
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hopefully the architect already has that in mind! I am absolutely fascinated by the whole thing and can't wait for an update.
                            I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

I am also fascinated. So much so that I have been trolling through self build sites myself. Its really surprising how cheaply you can get the kits, but the overall costs are usually about three times the cost of the kits!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                I am also fascinated. So much so that I have been trolling through self build sites myself. Its really surprising how cheaply you can get the kits, but the overall costs are usually about three times the cost of the kits!
                                Are you going to join me in a new build Snadger?

A self build works out on average about £1000 to £1200 per m2. But because of our location it's £1400 per m2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X