This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courgette recipes

I found a couple of recipes to use some of the supply of courgettes from the garden.

We had this last night and it was quite yummy with some lamb chops.

Courgettes, shallots (I used red onions) and tomatoes. Cut into small chunks and pop into baking dish. I also added some herbs. Slosh some balsamic vinegar on and drizzle with olive oil. 30 minutes at 180.

I'm trying another recipe tomorrow. Courgette, onion and bacon tart.

Line a tart tin with shortcrust pastry. Bake blind for 20 minutes. Chop 3 or 4 courgettes, an onion and a few rashers of bacon. Cook in olive oil till soft. Beat together 4 eggs, 5 tablespoons of good plain yoghurt, pinch of salt and some grated cheese. Add the courgettes, etc. to the tin, pour over the egg mixture and bake at 180 degrees until lightly browned on top - about 30 minutes.

Any other courgette suggestions gratefully received

Comment

My OH, likes pasta, so onions and garlic softened in a pan. Griddled slices of courgette and any other veg you want to get rid of. Chuck it all in with the onions, add your cooked pasta with a good glug of cream. Heat through and serve with a good sprinkling of fresh chopped herbs. I use garlic chives and flat parsley. Good for his lunch when he's just cycled 35mile!

It's good for a soup too. Again soften garlic and onions. Chop up courgette, add to pan with some stock. Cook until soft and blend. Add a splash of cream if you fancy. Grated Parmesan ontop or croutons made with stale bread if it's too hard for toast!

There is a great recipe on here for pickled courgettes. I'll have a look for it later
      Last edited by Scarlet; 16-07-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Try clikcking the link in the first post of this thread ......... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ous_85492.html
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Courgettes work really well in a veg lasagne too!

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            Try clikcking the link in the first post of this thread ......... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ous_85492.html
            Nor sure how i missed that post thanks BB.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My pleasure Bren I think most know my two favourite things are beer & food, so I tend to look at posts with recipes in

Comment

Courgette feta fritters

I have never felt overwhelmed by a courgette mountain since making these...we eat them most nights through the summer either as a starter, main or a snack watching a film...gorgeous

Grate a pile of courgettes and dump onto kitchen roll or a clean tea towel and squeeze the water out of them.
                Put in a bowl with crumbled feta cheese, mint (lots of mint...a goodly bunch), salt and pepper (easy on the salt...the feta might have enough in already)

Add a few handfuls of flour. Mix thoroughly.
                I use gram flour to increase protein content for vegetarians but you could use ordinary flour or even cornflour.
                Now stir in some beaten eggs and mix thoroughly again....should be like lumpy cake batter.

Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry spoon sized dollops til golden, flip over and fry the other side.
                Serve with home made tzatziki and lemon juice.

You can, if you have them handy bung in other things like chillis, finely chopped sweet peppers or mild onions (scallions or shallots)

I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't love them!
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

A quick way to use them is with pesto providing that they are cut up quite small. My favourite way is in an oven baked risotto with mushrooms and red onion. Oven baked because little or no stirring is needed so the courgette slices keep their shape and don't disintegrate.

Comment

I like to cut them into thin slices, lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle a little pinch of crushed sea/himalayan salt then pop into the dehydrator to make crisps.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Some brilliant ideas there. I'm definitely going to try some of them. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                        I like to cut them into thin slices, lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle a little pinch of crushed sea/himalayan salt then pop into the dehydrator to make crisps.
                        When you have made the crisps try coating one side with tomato puree then a good layer of grated cheddar cheese put under grill, after that has melted a layer of Parmesan under the grill again, eat while still hot.
                        Last edited by bearded bloke; 17-07-2015, 10:14 AM. Reason: smelling pistake

Comment

Made a tart yesterday.
                          Yotam Ottolengi's pastry coz it's the best :
                          250g flour in mixer with 190g butter then add 60g creme fraiche. Squish together ad chill. Line tarrt tin, brush with egg wash and bake 7 mins to ensure really crisp, melting pastry.
                          Then, I fried an onion and garlic til soft. In tart base, then grated cheese, then blanched, sliced round courgette slices, then tomatoes, seasoning, and a last sprinking of cheese. Yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                            Made a tart yesterday.
                            Yotam Ottolengi's pastry coz it's the best :
                            That pastry sounds very yummy. I made my tart but cheated and used JustRol pastry. The tart was delish but I may try your pastry next time. Should be fun

Comment

I'm using courgettes (peeled with a cheese slicer) as a lo-carb substitute for pasta
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                I'm using courgettes (peeled with a cheese slicer) as a lo-carb substitute for pasta
                                Been thinking of that myself...unsure whether to cook them or dress with a ittle olive oil and either balsamic or lemon juice though...
                                Also going to try using courgette ribbons as a casing for sushi type rolls.
                                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X