This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    I've just made courgette bread using the recipe in What Do I Do With All These Courgettes, will post the recipe if anyone wants it.
    However if you've got the book, the recipe doesn't give salt as an ingredient. It must be a mistake, it tastes really dull. The first time I made it I thought it was because there was parmesan and black pepper, but no, so second time round added 1 1/2 tsp salt, results, wonderful.
    Sue

Comment

I've found a link with aload of courgette recipes, but I haven't posted it because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to or not....

If someone gives me the nod I'll post it here.

That said, if you search "courgette recipes" on google, you're bound to find it. Some lovely looking recipes.
      Last edited by HeyWayne; 21-08-2007, 02:26 PM.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Not exactly a recipe but... In desperation I've just fed piece of courgette to my labrador dog and he has eaten it. OK so labs eat anything but it's a way to get rid of the courgettes
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          Not exactly a recipe but... In desperation I've just fed piece of courgette to my labrador dog and he has eaten it. OK so labs eat anything but it's a way to get rid of the courgettes

Hi Scarey,

If you ever need a dog sitter let me know, plenty of courgettes here

Mandy

Comment

Simply Courgette Recipes...

Well, most of us seem to be having a courgette glut, so I thought I'd pop a few recipes on here for peeps to try. Hope you find something of interest .

COURGETTE CHUTNEY

Ingredients

4 lb courgettes
            2lb 8oz onions
            2lb 8oz brown sugar
            Large piece of fresh ginger
            1/2 tspn pepper
            2 pints malt vinegar
            2 heads of garlic
            2lb 8oz tomatoes
            1 tspn cayenne pepper
            2 tspn salt

Method

1. Chop all the vegetables, add vinegar, sugar and spices and bring slowly to the boil, stirring now and again. If the courgettes have a tough skin, you can peel them and compost the skins.

2. Simmer for about two hours (don't forget to stir as it will stick) until thick.

3. Pour into heated jars and seal. Best if left for a few months.
            ______________________________________________________________________

We can't not have a risotto now can we

COURGETTE RAINBOW RISOTTO

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
            1 onion, chopped
            1/2 teaspoon saffron (or turmeric)
            2 cloves garlic, crushed
            12 ozs risotto rice (Arborio works best)
            1 1/2 pints vegetable (or chicken) stock – hot
            1 small sunburst squash, de-seeded and chopped
            3 ozs peas
            3 ozs sweet corn kernels
            1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
            2 courgettes, chopped
            Ground Black Pepper

Method

1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add all the chopped vegetables and stir until "al-dente".

2. In a separate pan heat some more oil and add the saffron and rice and toast gently until the colouring is absorbed.

3. Add the rice to the vegetables and stir. Start to add the hot vegetable stock, stirring continuously. Continue adding the stock and stirring until it is all absorbed and the rice is blown. Season with black pepper and serve immediately.

Here's a really tasty recipe, it's from one of my veggie friends. I like to eat them with a nice sweet chilli dipping sauce.

COURGETTE BURGERS

INGREDIENTS.

250 grams courgette.
            1 onion.
            Handful of mint.
            1 small red pepper chopped small.
            2 x crushed garlic cloves.
            Self raising flour to mix + ½ teaspoon of baking powder
            Lemon juice
            extra salt to drain the courgettes and onions

METHOD

1. Grate or process the courgettes and onions. Sprinkle a good few teaspoons of salt over them and put into a sieve over a bowl. Weight them down and leave to drain for a few hours. (They need to be quite dry or as dry as possible).

2. When drained mix with chopped mint, garlic, chopped pepper and enough self raising flour (with the baking powder) to form a workable mix. Form into rough burger shapes and fry in hot oil until nicely risen and brown.

Drizzle with lemon juice and serve with salad or a tomato dish.

And of course...we have to remember the coming tomato glut as well

COURGETTE WITH TOMATOES.

Ingredients.

1½ lbs (675 g) courgettes
            4 large firm tomatoes, skinned and quartered
            12 tablesppons olive oil
            Salt and pepper
            1 pint (570 ml) vegetable stock
            2 tablespoon cornflour, blended with 4 tablespoons of water

Method

1. Cut the courgettes lengthwise into quarters and then crosswise into ½" (1 cm) pieces.

2. Heat around 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the courgettes, salt and pepper, and stir-fry over a high heat until slightly softened. Transfer onto a plate and keep warm.

3. Heat the remaining oil in the pan and stir-fry the tomatoes for 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

4. Add the vegetable stock to the pan, with a little more salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Stir in the cornflour mixture and simmer the sauce, stirring until thickened.

5. Place the courgettes in the centre of a warmed serving plate and arrange the tomatoes around them. Pour the stock over the courgettes.

Serve hot with boiled rice.

I hope these will help ease the boredom of the courgette glut a little .

Please feel free to add your own recipes to this tread. Thanks, G.N. xx

Comment

Nice one Ginger

I had one last night which was gorgeous from a new cookbook we have called 'Bocca'

Courgette Pasta

200g of pappardelle pasta
              200g of Cougette (mix of green and yellow. However I just used the yellow)
              2-3 garlic cloves finely chopped.
              good knob of butter
              olive oil
              4-5 basil leaves
              hand full of courgette flowers if available
              2 tablespoons of Parmesan

Slice half the courgette into 4mm rounds and ribbon the remaining with potato peeler. Sprinkle a little salt over the ribboned courgette.

Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a frying pan and over a medium heat fry the garlic and courgette rounds and 2 tablespoons of water for 10- 15 mins or until the water is cooked away and the courgette softened.

Depending on whether you are using dried or fresh pasta adjust its cooking time so that about a minute before the pasta and sauce is ready you add the remaining courgette, flowers and basil to the frying pan. Cook for one minute.

Drain the pasta and add to frying pan along with the cheese and butter, adding a little of the pasta water if the sauce appears a liitle dry. Stir through adding salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with an extra grating of parmesan and large amounts of white wine! yum

Dave

We fried of a few slices of parma ham as well the beginning of the recipe last night until browned and then adding the courgette and garlic and continuing with the above recipe. However it is equally delicious both ways.
              Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seems like good,simple and delicious recipes to me..!!
                I have noted them all and will try them in my free time...!!
                Loft Conversion Ealing

Comment

Thanks for the recipe's, i tried the chutney recipe and the burgers. The burgers are LUSH!!!!! and they are now one of my standard recipe i use weekly, i make a large batch and they are lovely cold with salad - so they are part of my packed lunches for work.

am being patient with the chutney and it is sitting in a dark place maturing

Kxxx

Comment

Courgette pie

500g courgettes - sliced
                    2 medium onions - chopped finely
                    200g of puff pastry (I use the ready made stuff)
                    2 eggs - beaten
                    100g cheddar cheese - grated
                    butter
                    parsley
                    salt and pepper

Sautee courgettes in butter and/or oil until most of their moisture has evaporated. Add onion and keep over a low/med heat until nicely browning.
                    Mix eggs and cheese together in a bowl. Incorporate courgettes and onion. Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
                    Grease a pie tin/shallow dish with butter. Fill the dish with the pie filling. Roll out pastry for a lid. Lay over the top, trim and brush with melted butter or egg. Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes until the pastry top is golden brown.
                    Serve hot or cold.
                    come visit a garden
                    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spicy Courgette Cake (more like a tea-bread)
                      200g (7 oz) grated courgette
                      150g (5 oz) caster sugar
                      1 egg
                      125ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
                      200g (7 oz) plain flour
                      1/2 teaspoon salt
                      1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
                      1/4 teaspoon baking powder
                      1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                      1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
                      1 teaspoon ground ginger
                      1 teaspoon lemon rind or zest

Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin.
                      In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg and oil. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder; stir in the spices and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
                      Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Comment

This is a yummy chocolate courgette cake from Riverford Organics

Chocolate Courgette Cake : Riverford Organic Vegetables
                        Last edited by justgimmeethefaxmaam; 30-09-2011, 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling corrected

Comment

daft question, with regards to courgette chutney. How much, in say standard jam jars does 1kg make? I have two foot long and a tennis ball sized ones to do something with. Am hoping to use a River Cottage bollywood-esque chutney once I have found some receptacles.
                          Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Can I add a recipe to this thread?
                            Courgette and Ginger Jam
                            6lbs of diced courgette/marrow flesh
                            Juice and zest of 4 lemons
                            12 oz of crystallized ginger or 1 oz of ground ginger (tweak to your taste)
                            6lbs of sugar

Peel and dice courgette (removing seeds) and put in a heavy pan with a little water. Boil then simmer for 20 mins. Drain. Mash roughly.
                            Return to pan with lemon. Add ginger, bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar gradually until all is dissolved. Boil again until thick (about 20 mins). Pot and seal.

It's really nice! Sort of lemony/gingery/barley sugary jam. Strange but good.

Comment

Can I add a recipe to this thread?
                              Courgette and Ginger Jam
                              6lbs of diced courgette/marrow flesh
                              Juice and zest of 4 lemons
                              12 oz of crystallized ginger or 1 oz of ground ginger (tweak to your taste)
                              6lbs of sugar

Peel and dice courgette (removing seeds) and put in a heavy pan with a little water. Boil then simmer for 20 mins. Drain. Mash roughly.
                              Return to pan with lemon. Add ginger, bring to boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar gradually until all is dissolved. Boil again until thick (about 20 mins). Pot and seal.

It's really nice! Sort of lemony,gingery,barley sugary jam. Strange but good.

Comment

This is incredibly simple but really tasty:

Minced Beef and Zucchini Casserole | Cooksunited.co.uk

I used red wine instead of white wine and used a mix of squashes and courgettes.
                                My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X