Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm rubbish at making bread from scratch - not enough patience for the kneading, I suspect - so do you reackon I could just bung it all in the breadmaker.........?

Comment

Oh contraire Hazel, knocking up a loaf takes minutes, ok you have to wait for it to rise twice but you can do other things whilst its doing that.

The finished article is so much better than a bread maker too.

Comment

My hands cant cope with kneading bread these days so I bought myself a Kenwood mixer(second hand,40 quid)with all sorts of attatchements including a dough hook.This kneads my dough to perfection in about four minutes,second kneading about two minutes and perfect loaves.
        It also has a mincer and a sausage stuffing thing which I plan to use for the sausages of my dreams!
        When my children were young I made bread once a week in a baby bath(ten pounds of flour at a time)and cooked it in a field oven.Happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post

The finished article is so much better than a bread maker too.
          I swear by my breadmaker - never organised enough to do it the proper way sadly!
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

One of my favourite ways of doing them is to grill them sliced in half lengthways with the seeds removed, then stuff them with a mixture of just about anything that takes your fancy. Cheese and tuna, savoury rice, ham and tomatoes are all things I've tried.

Sometimes I season the courgette a bit before roasting depending on whats going in it. Stuff them back under the grill for a few minutes to finish them or melt any cheese etc. Yum!
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
            I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Thanks Doc! Do you know I never thought of that! (even though I know you can stuff the "grown up" marrows!) Bernie
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Courgette Tea Bread

Well, look what I've found, so I thought I would share it with you....
                Taken from The Allotment Gardeners Cookbook by Ann Nicol.

Keeps for up to a week. Makes a 900g/2lb loaf.

1 large egg
                125ml sunflower oil
                175g courgettes, washed and trimmed
                150g wholewheat flour
                1/2tsp baking powder
                1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
                1 tsp ground cinnamon
                175g soft, dark brown sguar
                75g sultanas
                75g walnuts, chopped

Preheat thw oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 2lb loaf tin with non stick paper.

Beat the egg and sunflower oil together in a jug. Grate the courgettes into a large bowl, using a medium sized grater. (or food processor! )

Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda and spices into the bowl and stir in the sugar, sultanas and walnuts. Pour in the oil and egg from the jug and mix to a thick bater. Pour into the prepared tin.

Bake for around an hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and cool. Store in a cool place for up to a week.

This cake can be frozen - when the cake is cool, wrap tightly in foil. It will keep for 2 months. Leftover slices and be frozen, separated and wrapped in cling film. To use defrost at room temperature for 2 hours. Use a really sharp knife when cutting the cake.

Really fancy giving this a go! Bernie
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Green Vegetable Curry with, wait for it! Courgettes!

Taken from The Allotment Gardener's Cookbook by Ann Nicol.

Serves 4

2 tbsp sunflower oil
                  1 large onion chopped
                  1" piece root ginger, peeled and grated
                  1 clove garlic, chopped
                  6 cardamom pods, crushed
                  5 whole cloves
                  4 tbsp natural yoghurt
                  75g green lentils, washed
                  1pt vegetable stock
                  175g potatoes, peeled and cubed
                  225g leaf spinach
                  225g courgettes, sliced
                  1/2 small caulifloer, broken into florets
                  100g peas
                  1 green chilli, seeded and sliced

Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes to soften. Add the ginger, garlic, cardamom pods and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the cloves, yoghurt and lentils and stir together. Pour in the vegetable stock cover and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes untl the lentils are softened.

Parboil the potatoes for 10 minutes then drain and add to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.

Cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Serve with rice and poppadums.
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi,

How about Courgette Cake, if you have loads??

10oz/310g light muscovado sugar
                    8oz/250g vegetable margarine
                    3 beaten eggs
                    10oz/310g s.r. flour
                    1tsp ground cinnamon
                    1 tsp ground nutmeg
                    1 lb/500g grated courgettes
                    6oz/185g chopped walnuts

Beat sugar and marg together. Beat in eggs adding little flour to stop curdling. stir in remaining flour and spices. Stir in courgettes and walnus. Pour into greased and lined tin. 2lb (1 kg) loaf tin. bake for 1.25 to 1.5 hours at 180c/mark4. Allow to cool before turning out. (My oven is fan assisted electric and I'm sure I only cook for about 40 mins or so it seems.) Deliciously gooey sweet. Kids love it too. Many friends have loved and taken recipe.

Beth
                    P.S. Love the natural remedies recipes!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

.... Or you could just eat them raw. Mmmm fresh crispy courgette
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your ideas - I've been able to pass them onto a couple mates on the lottie and also my mum-in-law who admitted to me the other day that she had never eaten a courgette - guess who had a large courgette/ aka marrow delivered pronto! Bernie
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

THE best courgette recipe ever

I have never measured any of this so you don't have to be exact.
                          500 g yellow courgettes, although i have never made it with yellow as i have never had enough.
                          1 lemon
                          3 tablespoons of olive oil
                          1 tsp turmeric
                          1 litre stock
                          100 g basmati rice
                          salt and pepper

cut the courgettes into small diced bits or rings, and put in pan with oil and lemon zest. Cook them slowly until the Cs are soft.
                          Stir in turmeric, stock and the juice of the lemon. put th erice in. Cook uncovered for 10-20 mins, season. Allow to cool slightly, as it brings the flavour out and eat with some fresh bread.

Gorgeous - I make this for a starter at Christmas and through the summer when Courgettes are rife.

Comment

Recipe for Courgette that has truned into a marrow

Does anyone have a recipe for marrow and ginger jam that they could post or point me towards as I have been on hols and come back to a monster.
                            Also courgettes are really niced sliced lenghtways put on the griddle and then either topped with lemon juice, salt and pepper or wrap a mixture of feta, mint and chili and then roll into a mini snack.

Comment

Lottielady
                              You don't have to make jam with them, you can use them grated in any recipe calling for grated courgette. I've had very few courgettes from my plants this year but have had donations of other people's cast off huge courgettes and been happily using them in cakes, breads, stuffed pasta etc.
                              And once you've found a good recipe, you could also grate them, allow them to drain and then freeze them in the right quantity to use at a later date.
                              Got four to do something with tomorrow, so will be busy with some of the recipes in this thread.
                              Sue

Comment

Hi,

I spent Monday night making a Courgette chutney I found on the web. Never made chutney in my life, took 6 hours, as 4 of those were spent sitting in casualty with my Mum who fell over at the allotment and fractured her elbow!

Hopefully, in 2-3 months when the the chutney is ready it will taste good. But here's the recipe:

Ingredients
                                1.3kg/3lb Courgette (Zucchini), thickly sliced
                                3kg/6lb 6oz Onion , thinly sliced
                                salt
                                1L/40fl.oz. White Wine Vinegar
                                250g/9oz White Sugar
                                2 teasp celery seeds
                                2 teasp turmeric
                                5cm/2 inch Freshly Grated Ginger Root
                                2 teasp Mustard Powder
                                1 tbsp Mustard Seeds

1. Place the Courgettes and onions in a large bowl, sprinkle liberally with salt, cover with water and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain thoroughly.

2. Place the remaining ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then add the vegetables to the pan and stir well. Simmer gently for 1 hour.

3. Meanwhile prepare the jars (see notes below).

4. Bring the mixture back to the boil then spoon into warm jars whilst still hot, cover, seal and label (see notes below).

Jars - Use jars which are free from cracks, chips or flaws – the best sizes to use are 450g/1lb although 1kg/2lb jars can be successfully used for pickling fruit/vegetables. Prepare the jars by washing well in warm soapy water and rinsing thoroughly. Dry the jars in a cool oven (140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1). Fill whilst still warm to prevent the jars from cracking when the hot filling is added.

Filling and covering the jars – Fill to within 1cm/ ½ inch of the top. Whilst still hot, cover with a waxed disc (wax side down) , immediately place a cellophane cover over the top then cover with a screw top lid.

Storage – Store in a cool dark place for 2-3 months before consuming.

Clareg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X