X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Bren
    Northern England.

Comment

• smallblueplanet On your recipe do you cook after the 2-3hours or rest overnight?
      Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
        smallblueplanet On your recipe do you cook after the 2-3hours or rest overnight?
        Normally when it's risen enough. But if we run out of time, say it's a bit cool and things are slow in rising, then overnight in the fridge.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Thank you
          Northern England.

Comment

• Forgot to say (in time) that we make sourdough hot cross buns. Crosses are a bit 'wonky'. Although I think the recipe would make a very tasty fruit loaf.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 29-03-2024, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• smallblueplanet Ooh well done.

Dough resting. Is it to double in size ? Wondering if I need to leave at room temp all night.
              Last one I did (diff recipe ) was underproofed it hadn't got doubled before fridge.
              Last edited by Containergardener; 29-03-2024, 08:55 PM.
              Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                smallblueplanet Ooh well done.

Dough resting. Is it to double in size ? Wondering if I need to leave at room temp all night.
                Last one I did (diff recipe ) was underproofed it hadn't got doubled before fridge.
                Weekend Bakery says:
                "...When you think it has risen enough, use your finger to make a small dent in the dough. If the dent remains, the bread is ready to bake, if the indentation disappears, the dough needs more proofing time."

Comment

• smallblueplanet it remains
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Well.
                    Northern England.

Comment

• What was your recipe, CG? And what's your verdict?

Comment

• Smallblueplanets further back in thread.

Tastes nice toasted but bit too crunchy again. Never sure if its right proofing wise. It has been denser since using local millls flour which is white wholegrain with some spelt in it.
                        Struggle with oven temp and it over crusting the top, even taking water out part way. My oven runs too hot so have to adjust.
                        Getting the temp in the house isnt easy, yesterday I used a warm hotwater bottle under it in the microwave. I know ive made it harder for myself trying to get a flavour. Maybe I just give up.

I made standard pizza dough yesterday which was perfect.
                        Last edited by Containergardener; 30-03-2024, 02:19 PM.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• CG don’t give up it’ll soon be summer and that’s a good time to experiment.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• White wholegrain is a wholemeal flour, I believe. If that's the case, you're making a loaf from wholegrain with spelt, wholemeal and rye. Have I got that right, CG? If so, you're going to end up with a very flavoursome but quite dense loaf. If the problem is the crust being too crunchy rather than the texture of the crumb, then your baking is more of a problem than the actual proofing of the dough, I reckon. Not sure what Bren and Smallblueplanet's opinions on this would be. I could be totally wrong.

How have you checked your oven to work out how much to adjust it? Are you pretty sure you've got the temperature right? If you don't have one, one of those cheap oven thermometers might do the trick.

Try next time by baking your loaves in tins, just to see how they turn out. If you want to bake loaves not in tins, you would probably do well to get something to bake your loaf inside rather than add water in a cup or whatever. If you have a big enough metal or other ovenproof bowl, turn that upside down over your loaf on the baking tray. The advantage is that it will keep the steam inside, where it needs to be, rather than more generally dissipated throughout your oven. You can always remove it close to the end of your baking time to brown the loaf to your liking.

Also, and this is more controversial, I'd probably up the water a smidgen if you're using that much wholegrain/wholemeal flour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              White wholegrain is a wholemeal flour, I believe. If that's the case, you're making a loaf from wholegrain with spelt, wholemeal and rye. Have I got that right, CG? If so, you're going to end up with a very flavoursome but quite dense loaf. If the problem is the crust being too crunchy rather than the texture of the crumb, then your baking is more of a problem than the actual proofing of the dough, I reckon. Not sure what Bren and Smallblueplanet's opinions on this would be. I could be totally wrong.

How have you checked your oven to work out how much to adjust it? Are you pretty sure you've got the temperature right? If you don't have one, one of those cheap oven thermometers might do the trick.

Try next time by baking your loaves in tins, just to see how they turn out. If you want to bake loaves not in tins, you would probably do well to get something to bake your loaf inside rather than add water in a cup or whatever. If you have a big enough metal or other ovenproof bowl, turn that upside down over your loaf on the baking tray. The advantage is that it will keep the steam inside, where it needs to be, rather than more generally dissipated throughout your oven. You can always remove it close to the end of your baking time to brown the loaf to your liking.

Also, and this is more controversial, I'd probably up the water a smidgen if you're using that much wholegrain/wholemeal flour.
                              Containergardener Yeah I thought the flours being used sounded 'heavy', and so of course it has less gluten in the flour. Start with white bread flour, or half white and half wholemeal?
                              Using water/steam in the oven creates crust. Just put it into the oven, that's what we do
                              Last edited by smallblueplanet; 30-03-2024, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• I agree with the others it’s probably down to lack of steam either place a water filled tray a low shelf or use a Dutch oven or dome.
                                I use half white half wholemeal and that seems to work for me.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X