Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant. Thanks. And do you slash it while it's still in the basket? I presume so, as the basket would hold the dough in place rather than the slash marks allowing the dough to spread.

I shall give this a try at the weekend. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out for something I can adapt as a basket.

Comment

• Snoop I slash it in the Dutch oven that and the basket are the same size. 10 inch across. I suppose with them being a similar size it doesn't really make a difference when I do the slashing.
      Hope you find a basket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F33D0619-5F78-4EC7-8CEA-CE4554B105D7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	674.8 KB ID:	2536658
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 16-11-2021, 09:12 AM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks, Bren. I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

• Fed our starter tonight - ready to make pizza tomorrow . Did try an overnight poolish a few times but found the dough just too sticky to handle.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mr Bones I'm not sure if this counts as a poolish but this way works for me.
            The night before I add just half my flour to the water and starter, next morning the rest of the flour and salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              Mr Bones I'm not sure if this counts as a poolish but this way works for me.
              The night before I add just half my flour to the water and starter, next morning the rest of the flour and salt.
              That's how I do poolish too Bren. My own fault the pizza dough is sticky, instead of working and folding I just bung it in the breadmaker and leave for the day (tends to be a meal for when we'll be out for most of the day). Always turns out ok though
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mr Bones I find sourdough a lot more forgiving than yeast dough, how was your pizza?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                  Mr Bones I find sourdough a lot more forgiving than yeast dough, how was your pizza?
                  It was a 1/3 to 2/3 wholemeal to white flour, the dough tended to shrink back after shaping so we had to be fairly quick with the topping but it rose nicely in the oven (just enough and not too much) and tasted great
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Do you use a strong wholemeal flour, Mr B?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Do you use a strong wholemeal flour, Mr B?
                      It's Doves Farm organic strong wholemeal bread flour (quoting off the packet.. )
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

It's Doves Farm organic strong wholemeal bread flour (quoting off the packet.. )
                        Thanks. I will give this a go at the weekend.

Comment

• Just because we like to see each others loaves. Yesterdays loaf (all white).
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	SD-Loaf.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	2537323Click image for larger version

Name:	SD-Loaf-slice.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	2537324
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• A nice looking loaf Mr Bones

I do that same X cut it seems to really open up the loaf.

Comment

• A somewhat explosive loaf, Dan Lepard's mill loaf (mostly white bread flour with a bit of wholewheat and whole rye).

Click image for larger version

Name:	december loaf.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2537688

Also, I have a question about sourdough crumpets. I never have any discard, so I'm having to make up a starter. All the recipes I've seen talk about using unfed discard. So what would you do? Make up a preferment and just leave it for longer? Or just make up a liquid preferment and bung in some bicarb when it's ready, like all the recipes say?

Comment

• Can't help on the discards question Snoop but wanted to say what a fantastic looking loaf . Lovely lame work
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X