Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a palaver doing the calculations if you do them yourself. I've seen some calculators online in English, but my Spanish flour supplier has one that is so easy to use I can't be doing with the English ones. Do you speak any Spanish or use Google Translate? If so, have a look at this: https://www.elamasadero.com/calculadora-masa-madre

Harina is flour; lĂ­quido is liquid (water, milk or oil, usually); 8 or 12 horas is the number of hours you want your preferment to ferment for; calcular cantidades is to tell it to calculate amounts. Masa madre is your sourdough starter.
    In the results, it tells you how much flour, liquid and starter to use for your preferment, and then how much of everything you'll need for the final dough. You'll see the figures don't quite match as it tells you to keep some of your preferment back as your future starter.

Comment

• Thanks for the link Snoop
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I'm.going to have a go too
        Northern England.

Comment

• How's it going, CG? I made a tasty but not at all pretty loaf the other day. Still went down the same way as a nicer-looking loaf!

Comment

• I use the same slash pattern for my loaf sometimes it looks perfect others it’s rather lopsided

Comment

• In my case, Bren, I made a rookie error: I used water at about 8 ÂşC to make up the final dough. Too late to rectify by the time I'd poured it all in... I should have left it overnight, but we really wanted some bread, so in the oven it went. Decent oven spring given that it went in looking extremely flat and sorry for itself.

Comment

• There's one thing with sourdough even a flat loaf tastes fine with soup

Comment

• What flour are you using?
                  Are you oven cooking or crockpot?
                  Last edited by Containergardener; 12-11-2021, 04:47 PM.
                  Northern England.

Comment

• CG I use half white, half whole meal bread flour, baking my loaf in a cast iron Dutch oven placed instead my electric oven.
                    There used to be lots of photos on this thread but they all disappeared with a forum upgrade

Comment

• I was wondering what happened to the photos when I looked through the thread, thought it was me.

Thanks I like the idea of a mixed flour.
                      Northern England.

Comment

• A few photos.

My Dutch oven with lid off.
                        Proving basket.
                        The Lame I made for slashing loaves.

Click image for larger version  Name:	loaf in dutch oven.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	2536483Click image for larger version  Name:	proving basket.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	2536482Click image for larger version  Name:	lame.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	2536481
                        Last edited by Bren In Pots; 13-11-2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Gorgeous loaf, Bren. My proving baskets are a bit too splayed, so my bread never look as lovely and round as that. It's a proper beauty.

I must get Mr Snoop to make me a decent lame. Out of interest, how often do you change the blade?

Comment

• Snoop I get 2 cuts to each corner (making it with a sharpie pen) so thats 8 cuts in all before changing.

Forgot to say my basket is a ordinary wicker that I lined.
                            I don't use it lined anymore though because I line the basket with greaseproof then lift the whole lot into the hot Dutch oven.
                            Last edited by Bren In Pots; 15-11-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              Snoop I get 2 cuts to each corner (making it with a sharpie pen) so thats 8 cuts in all before changing.

Forgot to say my basket is a ordinary wicker that I lined.
                              I don't use it lined anymore though because I line the basket with greaseproof then lift the whole lot into the hot Dutch oven.
                              Thanks for the info about the blade. I should change mine more often, then.

Since seeing your basket, I've been thinking about adopting a more steeply sided basket as a banneton. I don't use a Dutch oven but a spun iron dome that sits on an iron plate (I chose this because it's extremely light in weight). So that means I can upturn my dough onto the plate and bob the dome over the top. Meaning the top of the dough when in the banneton is now the bottom of the dough on the plate. When you lift the dough out of your basket, what happens? Is the top of the dough in the banneton still the top in the Dutch oven? Not sure if I'm explaining myself well. But I'm intrigued by your method. You've got a lovely round loaf that I can't achieve at all.

Comment

• Yep I prove in the basket lined with greaseproof then lift it into the Dutch oven by holding opposite corners of the paper, the loaf is still the same way up. If MrP is around its easier if we both hold 2 corners each, but its doable on your own.
                                Before I started using the paper my loaf used to go flat when I tipped it into the Dutch oven.
                                So this way works better for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X