Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't have one Bren and would.like to achieve just baking in the oven.

Dough hadn't doubled overnight, grown a bit (8hrs) it has bubbles on the top. Maybe the cool kitchen again, shoukd have left in the living room?
    Just leave it longer? Put in living room?
    Northern England.

Comment

• You could do either. Me, I don't mind leaving dough longer, either for its first or its second rise. Cold dough is easier to handle (less sticky), so if I were in your position, I'd leave it where it is and just wait.

If you want to just bake in the oven, use your tins. You could put a source of steam in the oven if you wanted to, but I must admit I don't bother.

Comment

• Just tried poking it and it stuck to my finger
        Northern England.

Comment

• Northern England.

Comment

• Nice photos, CG. You don't leave any comments, though.

Are you pleased?

Comment

• Haha don't know what I did there, I did write something.
              Yes was nice. Need to tweak some things, heat for first rest being one and oven temp down for my oven.
              Northern England.

Comment

• A loaf to be proud of CG, congrats.

Luckily my first loaf photo was lost in the vine upgrade.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                  Snoop Puss

I fed my starter about 9oclock last night so thought not to feed again?
                  Hi CG, been away and just seen your bread. Maybe have your starter bubbling just before you start to make the dough. Feed it a couple of hours before you want to start so it's good and lively?
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• It was pretty bubbly tbh, I think room temp of kitchen may have played a part. I am going to try various methods/recipes ongoing. It had a lovely taste though, so I shall continue. Need to bake again tomorrow,
                    Northern England.

Comment

• Baked again, used warmer water so was a bit better. Still oven temp issue so will turn down further and test before time and not keep the water tray in whole time.
                      Going to try using more starter in the next recipe too.

Also got some flour from our local mill to try, think it's wholemeal mix with spelt in it .
                      Will see what happens.
                      Northern England.

Comment

• Well that flour made it a bit heavy. I didn't put the rye in this time and must say I like that better.
                        Got some cotswald flour to try mixing in the wholegrain .
                        it's all a trial
                        Last edited by Containergardener; 28-03-2024, 07:23 PM.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• Anyone added a different flour into their original starter? Or is that silly
                          Northern England.

Comment

• ^Yes, I've added different flour to my starter. I started off with organic rye and since then have varied the flour according to what I have: organic white bread flour or organic strong white bread flour. I don't add rye now that my starter is up and running. But I would if that was all I had. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't vary the flour if it suits you. You read all kinds of stuff online about what you should and shouldn't do about changing your flour, but a lot of it is just alchemical nonsense and unnecessary mystique.

As for flour, the higher the proportion of whole grain, the denser the loaf will be. Why not try an all white, remind yourself how that performs, and then for future loaves add increasing proportions of wholemeal or other grains to your white flour till you arrive at a compromise of taste and density that appeals to you? Me, I like a 50/50 white/wholemeal, but Mr Snoop finds that a bit hard going. Personal taste plays a big part.
                            Last edited by Snoop Puss; 28-03-2024, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• "alchemical nonsense and unnecessary mystique" absolutely!!
                              Great I will play around

As for just white, I don't make it because I can't taste white, I have lost a lot of my sense of taste. Original was mostly white with 100g rye and I liked that malty taste so I will do similar but add a bit of wholegrain and rye together.
                              The wholegrain I bought was white wholegrain so I thought there may be enough white but it clearly needs a bit more.
                              Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                                Anyone added a different flour into their original starter? Or is that silly
                                CG my starter was half wholegrain spelt with half strong bread flour I've not used spelt flour for around 10 years now. During lockdown I kept my starter going by feeding it with whatever flour I could get even with plain flour it produced bubbles. I didn't have enough flour to bake during that time though.

I feed with strong white and bake using half wholemeal/strong white flour that seems to work fine for our tastes.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X