Sorry, questions questions.
    Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
      Thanks smallblueplanet
      I will try a half and half next time.
      Do you keep both out or freeze one?
      Sorry, questions questions.
      We usually have a half of a loaf at a time, so freeze 1 and a half loaves. I guess it depends how much bread you eat. I'll freeze most things by just putting them in the freezer (bagged up), I'll even refreeze the bread if there's too much, but probably have that toasted.
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-02-2024, 12:45 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They are fabulous .
        Do you make white loaves? I used organic rye for mine as I used for the starter. Wondered whether to half and half next time or make a white with the rye starter..
        Sorry I should have said those are white flour with yeast loaves, I make 50/50 wholemeal and white for my sourdough.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Like me sbp we have about the same as morning is when we have bread.
          OH is a massive bread fan so if I make sourdough successfully even better
          I too throw anything and everything in the freezer.

Thanks Bren . I want to try standard bread too again. Been years since I've done any myself.

Almost last question. How do you manage to cut your slices?
          I randomly remembered we had a bread slicer plastic gadget, it wasn't great either

I watched a program late today and it was a bakery making sourdough, the bsker said he rarely gets 2 days the same with his sourdough so that made me feel better.

Have started my new starter today. Day 1.
          Now, I have it in liv rm which gets warmest on a night (20s) but can get down to 16 when.not here.
          Am i better in a steady (same temp mostly room of 16-17-18) instead? (Kitchen)

thanks
          Northern England.

Comment

Almost last question. How do you manage to cut your slices?
            I randomly remembered we had a bread slicer plastic gadget, it wasn't great either

Have started my new starter today. Day 1.
            Now, I have it in liv rm which gets warmest on a night (20s) but can get down to 16 when.not here.
            Am i better in a steady (same temp mostly room of 16-17-18) instead? (Kitchen)

thanks
            My opinion on starting your starter is keep it warm, wrap it up at bedtime! Seriously wrap a tea towel round it.
            I slice our bread with a sharpish bread knife. The OH massacres it by pressing down too hard with the knife rather than sawing/slicing - softly softly catchee monkey!
            The half and half recipe I posted makes a fairly 'normal' loaf. If you want more sour flavour there are other recipes - we have a tasty Vermont recipe that is mostly white flour.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-02-2024, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• CG we use a Serrated edge bread knife they work well cutting through the sourdough crust without mushing the softer inside.

Comment

• It hasn't doubled in size. Just airy gloopy. I've discarded some and fed this morning. It didn't have the weird top but has this on today.
                Northern England.

Comment

• Containergardener

It's difficult to see exactly what is what from the picture. It doesn't look terrible, but...

Here's a thread with pictures and descriptions, there's lots on the web when you google. I'd say that on the whole if it's just kahm yeast, which is a very fine white film, or a crusty top with liquid, then it's probably okay. If you get proper mold you can usually tell straight away.

https://www.pantrymama.com/moldy-sourdough-starter/

Here's Elvis this morning, he's kept in the fridge until we use him. If we didn't keep him in the fridge to slow down the yeast the starter would need feeding and refreshing almost daily. This way he sort of goes into stasis and we feed him up before we use him.

Comment

• So far discarding and feeding it doubled up.
                    can I just pop it in the fridge now or do I have to discard some first or feed it .

Also I put some jnto another jar, fed it which has also doubled.
                    OK for fridge as asked above ?
                    Northern England.

Comment

So far discarding and feeding it doubled up.
                      can I just pop it in the fridge now or do I have to discard some first or feed it .

Also I put some jnto another jar, fed it which has also doubled.
                      OK for fridge as asked above ?
                      Yeah okay for the fridge with or without feeding. If you feed them though keep an eye on them as they will still 'rise' even in cooler temps. Elvis escaped down the jar sides a couple of times in the early days. Also leave the lid loose to let out CO2. When they come out to be used let them warm up and feed them, wait until they're lively and they should be good to go.
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-03-2024, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Ok I have not baked since and have read toooooooooo many methods online and videos-baffling amount of info.
                        Having brought thermometer in my kitchen sits at 16-17degrees at the moment.
                        When do you all do your prep pre making?
                        Should I just prove on the worktop or fridge it again?
                        I don't know if i underproofed/overproofed or what last time.

Starter is fine still so that's one thing. I need to not be put off.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• CG, that's one thing about sourdough, there are so many approaches it gets mindboggling, when in fact it's not all that difficult. The thing to do is choose one method and stick to it and the timings they suggest.

This is absolutely the easiest method of all that I've come across (no need to worry about making levains, poolishes or whatever in advance): just add starter to all your ingredients and away you go. https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/
                          She applies the same approach to all her various recipes and I've never had a failure yet.

This is another easy loaf for beginners: https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/...-pain-naturel/

Your kitchen is on the cool side, so timings might not work out exactly the same for you. If you follow the foodbod method, do all the folds at the times she suggests, but be patient if your dough hasn't fully risen by morning. Watch the dough, not the clock is the usual mantra. And it will probably apply in your case.

Comment

• Snoop Puss

I will have another go today Snoop. I don't have a pot big enough so cooked on a flat tray last time. Maybe I needed to give it longer before baking as I went off timings . I was going to try loaf tins but maybe just try flat again.
                            Mines a fan oven with out of kilter temp(always hotter than setting so have to adjust).
                            I joined the fb group you suggested and saw comments about steam and ice cubes and trays of water.

I fed my starter about 9oclock last night so thought not to feed again?
                            Last edited by Containergardener; 14-03-2024, 10:58 AM.
                            Northern England.

Comment

• Tins work really well, so no reason not to use them.

Elaine of the foodbod site recommends baking loaves not in tins inside an ovenproof pan with lid, so water or ice cubes are irrelevant as the lid keeps in any steam produced by the dough. So I'm surprised you saw comments about them in the group. Elaine's aim is to make sourdough simple and easy and to eliminate the mystery and magic that seems to surround it.

Details of the equipment she uses are here: https://foodbodsourdough.com/what-equipment-you-need/ But you can use anything you already have. Lots of people use Pyrex or chicken bricks.

Comment

• I do find it easier to bake bread in my Dutch oven like Snoop says it does away with the water and ice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X