Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Snoop I thought it might be my weight but wanted to check.
    I use a set of Avery shop scales with lb and oz weighs so I have to convert modern recipes, it doesn't take long though.

I've always added milk at the end I wasn't sure if it would alter/spoil the preferment I can see how it might be easier it to add it earlier. Otherwise think I'd try a potato masher that should soon mix it together. ​​​​
    ​​​
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Potato masher is a good idea. Thanks.

Comment

• I've just been looking around for info on milk and found this: https://crustylabs.com/the-effects-o...regular-bread/

Looks like more water and sufficient dried milk powder to make up the volume would be better than fresh milk.

Comment

• A interesting article, it looks like the milk alters the crumb and colour of baked sourdough it was surprising I wouldn't have though it would make that much of a difference.

Comment

• Not sure if you ever make soft dinner rolls. Not sourdough and I don't recommend using the instant mash powder (it makes the dough really stiff and the baked rolls a bit hard in texture), but the milk powder and fat makes a tremendous difference. Instead of the butter, I add 70 g of oil (sunflower or olive oil if not too green). And only around 7 or 8 g of sugar. I find them a bit odd, they come out looking like they're industrially made, they're so perfect. Everyone else loves them, as they're so soft.
            https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...r-rolls-recipe

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Mr B, would you mind sharing the recipe for the sourdough wraps? I keep thinking they sound yummy and always for get to ask. Thanks.
              This makes six flatbreads

375g strong white bread flour
              216g water
              40g starter (our starter's made roughly 2 flour to 1 water)
              1.5tsp salt
              Wholemeal Rye flour for rolling out/dusting (could use polenta)

Make a poolish in the normal way using half the flour, half the water and all the starter and allow to stand overnight. Next morning add the rest of the flour and water and the salt. Then we usually just put it in the bread maker on dough setting and leave it for the day.

Divide the finished dough into 6, flatten, stretch and dust with the rye giving a final stretch immediately prior to cooking. (There's no need to allow standing time after rolling out/shaping, they always puff up when cooked). We cook ours for a minute or so either side on a very hot cast iron plancha.
              Last edited by Mr Bones; 16-12-2021, 08:40 AM. Reason: extra info - no standing time after rolling out
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Thanks, Mr Bones. I'll start some off tonight.

Comment

• Anyone still making their sourdough?
                  My starter didn't work, admittedly our fridge went wonky just after so maybe that played a part.
                  I fancy having another go though.
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Yes, I've got two sourdough loaves (white) due to go in the oven shortly. We've lost Mr Bones somewhere along the way, but I think you're still making sourdough, Bren In Pots in Pots, is that right?

I've been making a lot of yeasted bread recently for speed and convenience, but every time I make a sourdough loaf, we both say why don't we have this more often. The flavour is so good

I've had to restart starters a couple of times (once Mr Snoop refused point blank to eat bread made with it when he saw hooch - greyish liquid - on the surface, so I never show it to him now if I've let it go that long without using it) and the second time it got left out of the fridge in summer and developed a nice pink mould, so in the bin it went.

There's the Weekend Bakery method mentioned in a much earlier post (if I recall rightly, it's this https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/...in-easy-steps/) or another easy method is here: https://foodbodsourdough.com/tips-in...O-LARyrOHtS2zk
                    If you're on Facebook, have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sourdoughwithfoodbod Got to be one of the nicest groups there is on FB. She's got her own account too, so a lot more tips, at https://www.facebook.com/foodbodsourdough
                    She's very no-nonsense and no hocus-pocus either.
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-02-2024, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Been looking back through the thread, CG. It was smallblueplanet who recommended Weekend Bakery here: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...07#post2311807

You still making sourdough, sbp? How about you, mothhawk? What about you, peanut and nick the grief, how did you get on?
                      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-02-2024, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Been looking back through the thread, CG. It was smallblueplanet who recommended Weekend Bakery here: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...07#post2311807

You still making sourdough, sbp? How about you, mothhawk? What about you, peanut and nick the grief, how did you get on?
                        Yes we still make (maybe once a week a couple of 800g loaf) and eat sourdough bread nearly every day. We have 'lightened up' a bit on bread made with fast 'commercial' yeast, I missed a quick white farmhouse loaf.
                        We still have Elvis - our rye sourdough starter. But Dusty the white flour starter was 'decommissioned' (poured down the sink ).
                        Can't beat the taste of sourdough, whether it's just making 'everyday' bread or making tangy or holey or chewy bread.
                        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-02-2024, 03:45 PM.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                          Anyone still making their sourdough?
                          My starter didn't work, admittedly our fridge went wonky just after so maybe that played a part.
                          I fancy having another go though.
                          The rye sourdough starter is very easy to get going, but I seem to remember the white flour one was too. Didn't need anything fancy, it was just flour and water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240208_155032993.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	726.7 KB
ID:	2574827
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-02-2024, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• PS Snoop Puss we also now make kefir - for the OHs IBS symptoms and sauerkraut as another fermented food.

The kefir is made with whole milk and kept in the fridge, the sauerkraut goes in the fridge when it's fermented enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240208_155444451.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2574829

Comment

• I’m on my original starter from January 2012 I did nearly lose it during lockdown There was hardly any bread flour so I kept my starter to the bare minimum feeding it every Saturday with whatever flour I could get.

I bake a sourdough loaf most weeks I’ve had the odd failure over the years but sourdoughs rather forgiving do it’s still edible.

Comment

... nick the grief, how did you get on?
                                Never got round to it Snoop... Still can't make my mind up if I should have a go or notas we have a good local bakers to me. Also I was going to use a particular flour that is supposed to be better than normal for Diabetics ( i am a member of the dead pancreas club) but since I then I've not found any to be had from the usual suspects ...

ntg
                                Never be afraid to try something new.
                                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X