Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Snoop, have added the site to my bookmarks. Will definitely give it a go
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• I've added it as well the sites an interesting read. Thanks
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• It was smallblueplanet who pointed me to that site. There are loads of other recipes that look good. Their rondo bites are a cinch but a cut above your average jam tart.

Comment

• Everything on there looks so good (thanks SBP also)
          Last edited by Mr Bones; 03-07-2020, 12:20 PM.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            I'm making bread today, so will try a sourdough preferment left to ferment over eight hours (according to recipe). Maybe that will go down better.

Any advice, Bren and SBP?
            We hardly ever leave our bread dough overnight, perhaps when we've run out of time if it's a slow rise due to time/temperature. I think if we make 'french' sticks the shaped dough will go in the fridge overnight.

Here's one of our 'white' loaf standbys. Originally it used white starter (we had both but now only rye), but we just adjust it for a rye starter by adding less rye flour. But we've made it with a mix of flours, some work better than others.

To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

• Thanks, sbp. Already committed to a loaf of pain naturel from the Weekend Bakery site. Will have a go at adding rye to the next loaf.

Have a friend up the valley that I gave some starter to. He made a fantastic loaf for his first effort. Was almost jumping up and down on the spot with glee.

Comment

• First loaf following the Pain Naturel recipe from the Weekend Bakery. Baked in a ceramic crock and would give it an extra few minutes next time but was a huge success.
                Thanks for posting the link

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• ^That is absolutely gorgeous, Mr Bones. Recipe-book quality bread and photo.

Will be getting one on the go today. Mr Snoop committed a heinous crime the other day - he bought a loaf of bread in a supermarket. The first one to cross our threshold for months (since the start of the lockdown at least). I hardly regard it as bread, just a vehicle when toasted for butter and marmalade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    ^That is absolutely gorgeous, Mr Bones. Recipe-book quality bread and photo.
                    I agree with snoop Its just perfect MrB

Comment

• My latest offering is maybe not quite so pretty, but the flavour seems to have improved. Does the sourdough flavour develop? It's not more sour, just somehow more intense. Makes amazing cream cheese and jamón serrano sandwiches. Was going to make one tonight but will probably leave it till Monday now.

Comment

• I need to feed my starter later on tonight I'm making oatcakes tomorrow.

Comment

• ^It's interesting, the different approaches. I don't do what you do, Bren. I take a bit of my starter out to make a poolish for bread. Occasionally, I take a bit more out for a friend or to make a poolish for your oatcakes recipe. And sometimes a bit extra for the dogs if I'm in a good mood. And then I add a bit more rye flour and water to the remaining starter to top it up. Using this approach, I never discard anything. I make bread every two or three days and so far that seems to be working.

Comment

• Thanks Snoop I’ve read about that but never got around to doing it, overall it does sound a easier way.

Comment

• Maybe it works because I use it so often so it never has a chance to go very sour or start killing itself with its own waste products. Saves on flour, that's for sure!

Comment

• Well, I thought I'd have another picture to share but I somehow managed - in a manoeuvre I hope I never repeat - to flop my loaf out of the proving basket onto a peel upside down. Still edible though and did rise in the oven, though just not as much as it might have done.

Anyway, having quite a lot of reasonable success with the pain naturel recipe. Essentially I've taken to using it as the basis for my loaves but occasionally vary the type of flour and the amount of water to suit the flour.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X