Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about you Sourdough bakers at the NBGW Local Food fair on Saturday. There was a stall selling Sourdough loaves and paninis - the queue was enormous and far too long for me to have the patience to queue to buy and try one. They sold out very quickly. It must be good and Bren's looks fantastic!

Comment

Thanks you two

I followed the River cottage recipe apart from I baked mine in a Dutch oven rather than on a flat tray.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm very keen to try the sour dough method but am a bit unsure about the finished loaf. Some I've seen are really solid yet others are quite light and open . If I could achieve the latter I'd be more inclined to give it a go. A baker was on The Hungry sailors the other day and his starter had been going for years and he had a lovely light airy loaf but then I saw another program me and I can't see my family entertaining that.

Comment

Argh!! Can you believe it? OH had thrown my sourdough starter out again!!
          Even though it had a label on, he said it smelt funny!!

MEN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
            OH had thrown my sourdough starter out again!!
            Even though it had a label on, he said it smelt funny!!

MEN!!!
            I think your only hope it to ban him from the kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
              I'm very keen to try the sour dough method but am a bit unsure about the finished loaf. Some I've seen are really solid yet others are quite light and open .
              I've only made the one loaf but I think the texture has some bearing on how long you let the dough rise.

Comment

Wow - that is a very handsome loaf of bread Bren - what was it like inside and how did it taste?
                I just love toasted sourdough bread as well.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

hello me lovelies - have been in silent mourning for my first loaves which were so lumpen i had to chuck them out. THEN i tried again, this time using my Daniel Stevens/Riv Cot starter, which (hi Bren) survived after all - was about to chuck it when read advice saying try a bit and if it's sour/fizzy it's alive, which it was) and the Dan LEPARD recipe, simpler than Riv Cot one, and it was fantastic! wish I'd taken a pic...not full of air bubbles as I'd hoped, but actually tasted lovely, looked good, lasted...a triumph. and much better than the non-sourdough loaves I've been attempting.
                  Made another one...better air holes but still not putting enough salt in.
                  How are you doing, other sourdoughies? good luck Northepaul. Bren, how did it taste?
                  have become so obsessed with this that am now wondering where i can buy a baking stone...and a proving basket...and thinking of little else...

Comment

Congrats BR

I baked mine using the Riv Cot book because just now they're my fave books and I've not had a failure whilst using them. Only difference was like I said I used my dutch oven because that saved messing around squirting water around the oven.

I meant to take a inside photo so will have to do that next time its too late now because we've had the last couple of sliced toasted this morning and Jeanie it did taste good.

Comment

Thought anyone serious about wanting 'real' baking equipment might like to look at this site:

BakeryBits - Artisan Bread Baking Equipment

enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for the link

I like the idea of basket liners think I'll make one for my raffa basket instead of using a tea towel.

Comment

I have made my sourdough starter again.....and hidden it in the boiler room!!

Fingers X!

Comment

Third time lucky

Comment

Hmmm I fed it yesterday evening although its not fizzy, or sour smelling and the water keeps separating....just have to learn some patience I guess....!

Comment

Just found this, interesting reading:

A Sourdough Baking Journey | Transition Network

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X