• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that looks a lovely loaf BR and your right to be proud
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
      Just found this thread. I've got to try this, it looks exciting and fun and a bit of a challenge. Very interesting link about sourdough and health too. See you in a week! (Whizzes off to get starter started...)
      Good to have you on board MH

Comment

I baked another loaf today

forgot to say that in between baking my starter is kept in the fridge then bought out and fed the day before I need to make the sponge.
        Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Mine is definately dead...
          I think its because it gets quite cold during the day, so we have a flutuation of temperatures - although the boiler room is probably the warmest room in the house....maybe I should try again when its warmer???

What do you think??

Comment

According to the different links on the net, cold doesn't kill it, just slows it down or stops it which is why its can be put in the fridge when not needed and then woken up later. How many days have you had it on the go this time? (10? by the post on the thread). 20C appears to optimum, but I think it should still grow at a cooler temperature, even normal bread rises in the fridge overnight.
            I used the pineapple juice (inhibits nasty bacteria) with equal wholemeal flour and rye (just ordinary from the supermarket, not organic). Day 5, I stopped using juice (I drank the rest) and used cooled boiled water (so there was no chlorine) as the liquid. I've not kept it particularly warm, though it goes in the kitchen during the day, and living room at night as I don't have the heating on in the kitchen.
            The jar is looking quite bubbly, and now I'm at the discarding stage and feeding stage. Just going to feed now actually if there is any water left in the kettle.
            Rather than chucking it away, as to start with it doesn't use much flour, why not start a new one, but keep on with the old too? If you were close to anyone trying this, I'm sure they would give you some of their 'discards' which would save you time too. Wonder how much the postage would be? Hmmmm....
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok, found you!
              Now I have a pretty full jar of very bubbly stuff that I'm feeding once a day. Planning on starting a loaf on the weekend - but is it really necessary to to let it prove for EIGHT TO TWELVE HOURS on the second proving?My kitchen is not very warm during the night but was hoping to let it prove overnight if it really takes that long.
              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Creemteez I use this recipe :- http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...gh-loaf-recipe

I've made 3 loaves up to yet and it doesn't seem as much of a performance as it does when you read the instructions.

This is what works for me I make my sponge in the evening, next morning add the rest of the flour leave to prove 3 to 4 hours, knock back/shape leave in basket for 3 hours then I bake mine inside a dutch oven for 30mins with the lid on followed by 15mins with it off at 220c.

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                  Mine is definately dead...
                  I think its because it gets quite cold during the day, so we have a flutuation of temperatures - although the boiler room is probably the warmest room in the house....maybe I should try again when its warmer???

What do you think??
                  Don't give up on it Thea, mine was only kept warm for the first 24hours after that it was left out on the kitchen worktop and the temp in there only gets to 15c unless the ovens on.

Comment

I have joined! The starter is mixed (I even bought a stick of rhubarb for it!) and is sitting in the living room where it is warmer! Can't wait to see how it gets on!
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                      forgot to say that in between baking my starter is kept in the fridge then bought out and fed the day before I need to make the sponge.
                      Glad you posted this, Bren - as I fed my new pet today (day 3) it occured to me that if I had to feed it every day I was going to have to start buying flour in 25 kilo sacks! Nice to know it will "hibernate" in the fridge.

I am going to treat it to some rye flour though. I've been doing some research, and apparently rye flour to sourdough starter is as spinach to Popeye...
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

I'd read that Rye flour was good but I couldn't get hold of any local so i used half Spelt half strong white then I use a 1/4 Spelt for my loaves it does give it a nice taste.

Talking of discards I've used some of mine to make drop scones I did try making crumpets but they were a disappointment.

Comment

Today I found a recipe for a sourdough loaf in a breadmaker. It isn't 'proper' sourdough because it uses some quick acting yeast too, but I decided it was worth trying it to use up some of my discards. My starter is only 6 days old, so too young to cope on its own, my recipe says 14 days .
                          I will probably try a proper loaf before then though
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!

Comment

Well, one day in and I have a bowl of flour with the water on top and the stick of rhubarb in there as well. What should I do? Should I leave it or mix it up a bit? It smells like the flour at the moment.
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Give it a good mix, and if you've had it standing for 24 hours, feed it again (I used equal flour and loquid, mixed to a paste then added) even if it doesn't seem to be doing anything yet. It takes several days before there is any sign of life.
                              I used pineapple juice instead of rhubarb, but the idea is the same, the acidity is supposed to suppress bacterial growth and allow the yeasts to get going with less competition.
                              Last edited by BarleySugar; 11-02-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Jeanie remember to cover it loosely I put a new knitted dishcloth on mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X