No announcement yet.

Just made Butter!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never seem to find double on offer - but then I don't shop at Waitrose!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I can never find reduced cream either Jeanied. My OH shops at Morrisons and they never give anything away.

Comment

Thats very strange as out of all the local supermarkets Morrisons reductions are usually the most reduced.Mind you still waiting to find some reduced cream

Comment

I buy mine from Lidl at 85p per pot but it does make a decent sized lump of butter and the rusks made with the buttermilk are good to. Not tried the doughnuts where is the link?
          Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Just a quick post script from me. Some of you will have found my exploits using extra thick double cream laughable. So did I, once the cat had cleaned off his whiskers and washed up his fur a bit and I had finally washed the kitchen floor and walls.
            Well - temptation got the better of me when I saw Morrison's double cream for £1 a tub - so 2 tubs popped into my basket before I thought what I was doing.
            Observations
            The cream was poured into my magimix drum (not the goblet blender this time).
            Left to stand at room temperature for a good while from being fridge cold.
            Turned on the blender and it went through about 4 stages until it separated into buttermilk and butter. It kept swirling, gathering and then separating again.
            I ended up with a good glass and a half of buttermilk (had a bare tablespoonful from the extra thick stuff) and I have made 1lb 10oz of butter from 1200 ml of fresh double cream (sorry to mix up the measures but that was the scales for the butter).
            Absolutely brilliant - and anyone tempted to do this, don't use the extra thick cream and don't use a goblet liquidiser! But do try it!!

Comment

[SIZE="2"]Morrisons are selling 600ml double cream for a £1.00. for Wimbledon.

Comment

Scones

The buttermilk also makes excellent scones, lighter than plain milk.

Or.....

Cut chicken breasts into strips and soak them in enough buttermilk to coat well. Leave overnight if possible, but at least 6 hours. Do not rinse. You can use chicken portions, but make sure these are cooked thoroughly right to the bones in deeper oil.

Put flour into a plastic bag (or a bowl) and season however you like. Fajita seasoning or BBQ seasoning powders work well. Put your chicken strips into the bag, a few at a time, and shake well. Remove onto a plate, until all strips are done.

Fry the strips in about 1cm of hot oil (afterwards can be filtered through kitchen paper to reuse) until golden brown. Enjoy with mayo & salad!

If you make butter in a food mixer, watch it carefully. I left mine to get on with it and the butter separated into a huge lump all of a sudden and had splashed buttermilk everywhere by the time I went back into the kitchen.

Jules
                Last edited by julesapple; 24-06-2010, 02:19 PM.
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Good news - local tesco selling off some nearly out of date cream

Bad news - poorly labelled extra thick double cream
                  Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Good news again - I've bought 3 x 300ml of double cream, down from 95p per pot to 25p

I'm desperate to get it to work this time. So, while it's coming up to room temperature, any final tips? Should I whack all 3 in in one go? Do I add salt only AFTER the butter has formed? (I added it in at the start in a previous failed attempt) Is it definitely the metal blade that seems to work best?

I'll re-read the thread in case i've missed anything, but any last minute help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
                    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Wow. It's like magic

Thanks Rhona, and everyone else.
                      Caro

Comment

I have just become a member of the dairy alchemy club too!

Comment

Well done Janeyo! It is about that time of year when they sell off the cream cheaply because they overstocked on it over Christmas! I make this and freeze it.

Comment

Well done, it's a great feeling of satisfaction eh?

You'll be onto the cheese making next
                            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just found this thread and it has brought back memories. When I was in primary school (Swinton Primary, Glasgow) we made butter by shaking a jam jar of full fat milk, we then had some spread on bread. Can't remember doing anything else other shaking the jam jar (but then it was 30++++ years ago).
                              Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X