No announcement yet.

Just made Butter!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get cream from at such a cheap price?
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Rhona I too use it in bread. Also doughnuts. This is the best ever recipe and you can even freese the uncooked dough for another batch.

Fluffy Yeast Doughnuts Recipe - Lauren Groveman | Food & Wine

Comment

What a fantastic idea!! I love butter. My mum and I were beating double cream once to make an afternoon tea for a lovely little old lady that we knew and thought it would be special, to do strawberries and cream and cucumber sandwiches, we forgot to keep a close eye on the cream in the processor and it turned into butter, so we pretented we made the butter especially for her.
        I used to keep goats, it would depend on the type of goat as to the cream content of the milk, I used to make lovely soft cheese and fresh yoghurt, I kept British Saanen.

Comment

Hi there
          Ive just made some of what I think is butter after reading this thread. I live in Guernsey so have used Guernsey double cream. I whizzed it up in my fp for about 3mins until it rolled into a big lump. Now then I have had barely any buttermilk and the butter if I squeeze it just squelches through my fingers. Ive rinsed it as best I can and put it on a plate in the fridge in piles that resemble dog eggs. Can any butter boff tell me have I done it right ? Is Channel Island cream devoid of buttermilk ?

Comment

Originally posted by newbieveggie View Post
            Hi there
            Ive just made some of what I think is butter after reading this thread. I live in Guernsey so have used Guernsey double cream. I whizzed it up in my fp for about 3mins until it rolled into a big lump. Now then I have had barely any buttermilk and the butter if I squeeze it just squelches through my fingers. Ive rinsed it as best I can and put it on a plate in the fridge in piles that resemble dog eggs. Can any butter boff tell me have I done it right ? Is Channel Island cream devoid of buttermilk ?

Did you leave the cream to go to room temperature? Not doing so can make it difficult for the buttermilk to separate. I think I used a Channel Island cream and whipping cream in first lot - just mixed them together. Scientific eh?
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Cannot comment on guernsey/jersey cream but from Waitrose I got roughly 12oz butter from 20oz double cream.

Comment

Hi there
                Could be the room temp thing. Sounds like theres still some buttermilk left in the butter. Maybe try letting it warm up a little and then squelching it around in a bowl. It should separate, but the motions which produce results for me are much more squelching than rinsing.
                The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Yes the cream was room temp. Tried some this morning and it just tastes like very very thick cream. Am I being dense and too used to commercial butter that this is in fact what it should taste like ? I did put a bit of salt in as well. I won't be put off tho and will try again. Perhaps it actually needs alot longer in the fp ? Just used the blades yea ?

Comment

Yes the cream was room temp. Tried some this morning and it just tastes like very very thick cream. Am I being dense and too used to commercial butter that this is in fact what it should taste like ? I did put a bit of salt in as well. I won't be put off tho and will try again. Perhaps it actually needs alot longer in the fp ? Just used the blades yea ?
                    Strange! Nope - the butter should be very firm (certainly after being in the fridge) and just like commercial except nicer!

I just used the blades until it very obviously went through the 'firm peak' stage, broke, then the butter just appeared in a very recognisably buttery way and was firm enough to squeeze and hold it's shape. Maybe you didn't give it long enough in fp? That's the only thing I can think of!

Have another bash!
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I did my butter by hand, but had to do quite a lot of 'cutting in' and rinsing to get the last of the buttermilk out...

When we were shaking it, there was a very recognisable 'thump' when it all seperated though, and there was a large distinction between the lump of butter and the milk left over.

Comment

butter

I do this with the kids at school- they also make their own bread. They learn very quickly to listen out for the 'thud' as the butter seperates. They seem to really enjoy it!

Comment

i have joined the butter making hoards, i used 2 pots of whipping cream which were reduced, a total outlay of 84p, which gave me a very sizeable return, i didnt mess around with it first time around, just wanted to see it work, next time i will experiment with salt and other flavours.
                          i put it the food processor, initially it thickened, then it split into butter and liquid, drained the liquid off and patted it dry wrapped it in parchment paper and away to go.
                          "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing."

Comment

When life gives you buttermilk, make buttermilk pie!!

Buttermilk Pie Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Comment

I have googled making butter and the book says quote " the by product is not buttermilk but skimmed milk" What do you think and is there a difference?

Comment

Do you have to use double cream as i had a go and it just fluffed up didtn waste it though made a cake and used it to fill that how long do you process it for had mine on the go for about 15 mins

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X