X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foragers may find this useful Foragers pack etm

Comment

Hardly any sloes around this year, usually they are about now ready, but I checked at the beginning of august and there simply wasnt any!

Blackberries coming along nicely, I have had 2kg so far.

About 1kg of damsons, but alot arent ripe yet.

Not found elderberries

Rosehips at the end of the month.

Filberts were a no show pretty much

apples are abit late this year too.

No crabapples or Medlars yet.

Comment

Aren't you better off waiting for the first frosts before picking sloes, I don;t normally gather mine until about the middle to end of October.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by mrswadders View Post
          on saturday - 19lbs yellow plums and 7lbs of lovely juicy red ones! oh and another 3lbs of hazelnuts on friday! -
          i obviously live in the wrong part of the country!

i'm in suburbia .... we have managed common land over the road, very little there for foraging, a handful of blackberries, some sloes, and a few rosehips ..... a drive down the road takes us to farm land .... all the hedgerows are something spikey / prickly like hawthorn / gorse, but no berries, very little in the way of blackberries ..... found one plum tree in the hedgerow in about 30 miles of driving, and can't get most of the plums because they're too deep in the hedge ....

i need to get right out in the countryside .... but got to find a place with LOADS of stuff or it's not worth the trip ....
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Is there nothing on the downs these days FG? I grew up in Purley and am fairly sure it was one of the areas we regularly went berry picking.

Comment

not much incy .... brambles have been cut back .... it's managed common land ....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

How about Foraging in London? May give you some ideas for your local parks!
                20 minutes in my local park (september 3rd). | Forage London

Comment

A kilo of blackberries - bramble to potting in 50 mins.

And I smuggled a marrow into the jam too.

But our sloes are almost over - 400g in the freezer and the rest are yukky
                  Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Try a few orange zests and a dash of cinnamon with your damson gin! Last year I was ready to give up on the homemade cough syrup, but had one last go with a few pinches of orange zest left over from juicing. What a difference! Very subtle, but it all works wonderfully together.
                    The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

10lb of elderberries on Monday which has made 10 gallons of wine and loads of blackberries.

Comment

Found some young and delicious 'chicken of the woods' at only 6 ft high! Okay on condemned cherry tree in friend's garden...but that counts I think. I breadcrumbed it, fried it up and put garlic butter lemon and capers in pan to finish. Better than any meat snitzel. Mate didn't trust me so I kept texting him that I was still alive all day!

Comment

Mmmmm "Chicken of the woods" I've only eaten it once, and that was after a Fungi Foray, definitely worth finding! Lucky you

Comment

Not strictly what I foraged today, but I found an AMAZING place near work (Swansea) today. Blackberries (tons, I mean binbags full), carrier bags full of elderberries, at least, mulberries (I think - will need to double check), sloes and some other berries that I've not seen before so will take my book tomorrow with me to work, for erm an extended lunch break

Loads of haws and rosehips too - I can't believe no one has picked any / all of them yet. Wish I had some bags on me today as I'd of had some.

Interestly, here, near me all the elderberries are green with only a few ripening. There, they're nearly all ripe.

Shall report back tomorrow with what I have foraged!

Comment

Blackberries - the only thing I know!

Comment

Oooohhhhhh do share Chris

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X