Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Champagne... time to get going!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the yeast front, I usually just use bread yeast, but for elderflower wine you shouldn't really need any.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
      How on earth did you know?!?!

I am indeed - my brother in law has bailed out on me so Mrs G has valiantly offered to join me in a Mr and Mrs effort for the 6 hour race on Sunday - fair play to her - she hasn't really ridden much since having our 3rd baby 6 months ago!!

On one hand I'm rather dreading the weather, looks decidedly dodgy, but on the other hand the allotement REALLY needs a good drench!

If you're there I'll be riding a very red bike, and wearing a very red shirt.... probably red faced aswell!

J
      Put 2&2 together as you are a mad mountain biker!
      I won't be doing it but my sis and her boyfriend are, they've been training like mad.
      Good luck with it!
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Doh!!!

I put my elderflower champagne to go night before last, didn't have any white wine vinegar and thought it wouldn't hurt to get it next day and add it. However, I have completely forgotten to go and buy some and the two days is nearly up before bottling time. Is it worth going to get it and adding now or is it too late? What difference does it make to the finished brew anyway?
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Just found this. I think someone above was asking about Rowan.

Rowan Berry Wine Recipe
          Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Hi pdblake, thanks for the info. I asked if you could do the same elderflower champagne recipe but with Rowan flowers. Don't have the equipment or patience to do the wine thing at the moment, and saw how easy the champagne one was (no air locks and gubbins to worry about). Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
              Hi pdblake, thanks for the info. I asked if you could do the same elderflower champagne recipe but with Rowan flowers. Don't have the equipment or patience to do the wine thing at the moment, and saw how easy the champagne one was (no air locks and gubbins to worry about). Any idea?

Not sure tbh

It seems to be a similar recipe to elerflower wine anyway, just bottled before the fementation has finished. That said I would have thought that you could do it with anything else you could make wine from.

Though you should remember that the more sugar and yeast you use, the more fermenting you'll get and the bigger the bang should it all explode

Oh, and I have no idea whether rowan flowers are edible or not or what they taste like.
              Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                I put my elderflower champagne to go night before last, didn't have any white wine vinegar and thought it wouldn't hurt to get it next day and add it. However, I have completely forgotten to go and buy some and the two days is nearly up before bottling time. Is it worth going to get it and adding now or is it too late? What difference does it make to the finished brew anyway?
                Won't hurt to chuck some in now surely?
                I'm going to add some extra lemon to mine as it's a bit sweet and the yeast from coomber when it arrives.
                I'm also going to start a second batch later or tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                  Not sure tbh

It seems to be a similar recipe to elerflower wine anyway, just bottled before the fementation has finished. That said I would have thought that you could do it with anything else you could make wine from.

Though you should remember that the more sugar and yeast you use, the more fermenting you'll get and the bigger the bang should it all explode

Oh, and I have no idea whether rowan flowers are edible or not or what they taste like.
                  Hmmmmm, will give it a bash and see what happens! Don't have close neighbors so nobody to disturb by big bangs! Will report back (if we survive!!)

Comment

BBC - h2g2 - How to Make Elderflower 'Champagne'
                    I used this recipe too and it looks good. I was worried that the quantities on the HFW one had not been corrected.

However, I did 10 litres, bottled 1 litre as per instruction and then put the other 9 litres into 2 placcy demijohns - with the intention of fermenting out and priming later. I did use a sachet of champagne yeast that I procured on t'internet somewhere.

I am hoping for a heady brew that will make me giggle like a fool after a couple of glasses. Am I being hopeful or might this actually work?
                    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Well, thanks to lovely Coomber (XXX) I now have some yeast.
                      My second batch of champers is now on the go, it smells gorgeous!
                      I know peeps have been recommending pop bottles to store it in. Do you think screw top glass bottles would be ok or does that sound dodgy?

Comment

I don't think they will cope with the pressure lainey lou. Those tops can come off quite easily.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          I don't think they will cope with the pressure lainey lou. Those tops can come off quite easily.
                          Mmmm I did wonder, I'll have to scrounge a few more pop bottles from friends then!
                          Thanks Shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                            Do you think screw top glass bottles would be ok or does that sound dodgy?

Very bad idea. I tried this last year and they went off like glass handgrenades, both in sound and effect

Still finding bits of glass in the shed now. This year I'm using glass bottles still, but with loose corks.

I'm definately doing some elderflower wine this year too. A neighbour just gave me 4 demijohns
                            Last edited by pdblake; 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM.
                            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                              Very bad idea. I tried this last year and they went off like glass handgrenades, both in sound and effect
                              OMG!!! Really glad I asked now!

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                                OMG!!! Really glad I asked now!
                                I have never seen our dog jump so high
                                Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X