Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Champagne... time to get going!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    I will have to check up - haven't made it since last year and have lost all my recipes. I will recognise it when I find it online
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    Just thought - didn't HFW make this in a large black bin?
    Yes, seem to remember he did!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

This is the recipe I use. They have lots of other recipes for elderflowers and elderberries on there too.

BBC - h2g2 - How to Make Elderflower 'Champagne'
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thank you Shirley, gotta go get those elderflowers.........

Comment

Off to see if there are any ready here now.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Lainey lou, I think that it isn't brewers yeast as such that you need but winemaking yeast. The last lot I bought from Wilkinsons was young's wine yeast and is in a small orange and white packet -about the size of a condom packet, so someone told me

As Shirley said though, you don't need it if you prefer a less alcoholic wine.

*see Scarey get out as many packets of yeast as she can find
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
              Hi All. After reading this page yesterday I got very excited and went up the woods behind the house to get the flowers (was going to do it a while ago, but completely forgot!), but they are all done! Not an elder flower in sight, just the start of the berries. Question - can you do this (the champagne) with Rowan flowers?
              Having just been out and picked flowers, I suspect the 'start of the berries' you are seeing are the flower buds - green and round, easy mistake to make. Elder is usually in flower June through July. Hope I am right Keep an eye on the tree for a few days
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley, thanks for that, but they are definately the start of the elder berries, as the trees had been covered in flowers for the past few weeks. They have been really early up here this year, no idea why. I couldn't believe they were over already. Do you know if we could use Rowans as they are flowering in abundance just now?

Comment

Oh dear, they were very very early then! Don't know that you can use rowan flowers but the berries can be used later in the year for rowanberry jelly.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                    Lainey lou, I think that it isn't brewers yeast as such that you need but winemaking yeast. The last lot I bought from Wilkinsons was young's wine yeast and is in a small orange and white packet -about the size of a condom packet, so someone told me

As Shirley said though, you don't need it if you prefer a less alcoholic wine.

*see Scarey get out as many packets of yeast as she can find
                    titter! thanks Scarey! x

Comment

lainey lou, there is a homebrew shop in keynsham - i can get you some yeast and post it to you if you like. I'm going to get mine tomorrow so it won't be a problem. PM me your address if you want me to send you some

Comment

Coomber - that's the shop I go to, down an alley and round the back...... maybe one day our paths will cross!!

J

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
                          Coomber - that's the shop I go to, down an alley and round the back...... maybe one day our paths will cross!!

J
                          Thats the one!!!!!! maybe i'll see you around!!

Comment

Originally posted by coomber View Post
                            lainey lou, there is a homebrew shop in keynsham - i can get you some yeast and post it to you if you like. I'm going to get mine tomorrow so it won't be a problem. PM me your address if you want me to send you some
                            Thanks so much Coomber,What a kind offer. I'll PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post

J
                              Originally posted by coomber View Post
                              Thats the one!!!!!! maybe i'll see you around!!
                              Skulking around Keynsham! Tut tut, I don't know!!

Jimmer are you doing the Ashton bike race at the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                                Skulking around Keynsham! Tut tut, I don't know!!

Jimmer are you doing the Ashton bike race at the weekend?

How on earth did you know?!?!

I am indeed - my brother in law has bailed out on me so Mrs G has valiantly offered to join me in a Mr and Mrs effort for the 6 hour race on Sunday - fair play to her - she hasn't really ridden much since having our 3rd baby 6 months ago!!

On one hand I'm rather dreading the weather, looks decidedly dodgy, but on the other hand the allotement REALLY needs a good drench!

If you're there I'll be riding a very red bike, and wearing a very red shirt.... probably red faced aswell!

J

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X