Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderflower Champagne... time to get going!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
    Great stuff

I usually ferment in a bucket for a week then strain into a demijohn, leave for 4 weeks, rack it for a week then bottle it. I very rarely rack a second time, except for brambles.

I have no idea how strong they end up. I did use a hydrometer a couple of times and came up with 26% for a batch of bramble once I tend to just drink it and not worry about the strength
    I just about never rack as soon as 4 weeks, and invariably at least twice before bottling. I prefer a slower ferment, and if you add sugar when you rack, it tends to start again, but you can often get a significantly higher final alcohol content. 26% takes some doing!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      26% takes some doing!
      Takes some drinking too
      Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Not quite out here - but excited at the prospect

Comment

Oh..errr...got 2 pressured bottles,and about 80 flower heads ready before weekend

Any chance of freezing it part way through????
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've just completed some elderflower cordial, ideal for those who can't drink alcohol at the moment. I freeze it in 500ml plastic drinks bottles and defrost it to drink at Christmas. Lovely diluted with sparkling water.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

A word to the wise!!!

Some years ago ex-OH, a great wine maker, made EFC. Did all he should do and put in the shed. I went out one morning to find a wet patch on the floor. No, not the cat but one of the bottles had blown its cork. With great care I moved the other bottles and in doing so another blew the cork, which is still embedded in the shed roof! Not wishing more of this I very carefully took the remaining 4 bottles down the garden and put them under a bush in a shady position. Over the next few days 3 corks went skywards but the last one remained intact. Good I thought we will at least be able to tast one. No such luck. The cork remained in place but the bottle split! These were champange bottles!

Still don't know what it tastes like
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I thought you had to put it into those grolsh (sp?) type bottles and we don;t have any. So I have just tonight butchered the huge elder overhangin from the wasteland next door.

GOOD JOB I am not very tall, and the light faded as I had to stop... so there are loads left. I am going to make this tomorrow. We do have loads of plastic drinks bottles so can use them. How do I sterilise them or is just a hot was sufficient?

Thanks

Saw it on HFW the other week and really wanted to make some so excited now

Comment

Most fizzy-drinks bottles won't take REALLY hot water so if you want to sterilise them, I would recommend Milton or similar.
                  Having been given a drink of elderflower cordial yesterday, I intend to make some when they open! (as well as the wine).
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Oh..errr...got 2 pressured bottles,and about 80 flower heads ready before weekend

Any chance of freezing it part way through????
                    2litre pop bottles are great for the elderflower champagne. Don't forget to leave some flowers for the fruit later on - it can be used for jams and jellies, fruit pies or crumbles and makes a good red wine too.

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                    I thought you had to put it into those grolsh (sp?) type bottles and we don;t have any. So I have just tonight butchered the huge elder overhangin from the wasteland next door.

GOOD JOB I am not very tall, and the light faded as I had to stop... so there are loads left. I am going to make this tomorrow. We do have loads of plastic drinks bottles so can use them. How do I sterilise them or is just a hot was sufficient?

Thanks

Saw it on HFW the other week and really wanted to make some so excited now
                    I sterilise my pop bottles with milton
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Hi All. After reading this page yesterday I got very excited and went up the woods behind the house to get the flowers (was going to do it a while ago, but completely forgot!), but they are all done! Not an elder flower in sight, just the start of the berries. Question - can you do this (the champagne) with Rowan flowers?

Comment

Anyone know where I can get brewers yeast? I have only found the tablets so far.
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Wilkinsons sell yeast but I make elderflower champagne without added yeast
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                            Wilkinsons sell yeast but I make elderflower champagne without added yeast
                            Thanks Shirley, looked in wilkos today but no luck.
                            Do you use the same recipe minus the yeast?
                            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Just thought - didn't HFW make this in a large black bin?
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                                Thanks Shirley, looked in wilkos today but no luck.
                                Do you use the same recipe minus the yeast?
                                I will have to check up - haven't made it since last year and have lost all my recipes. I will recognise it when I find it online
                                Happy Gardening,
                                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X