No announcement yet.

Fruit T bag wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK mine has been moved into demijohns. It's bubbling gently away. How long before others have gone and how many rankings before stopping/finishing it?
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well, mine did slowly grind to a halt, but then I knocked the DJ - it's started off again, bubbly surface - which was flat before.

Next weekend, will be a month so I'll see if it's still bubbling then.. there are quite a bit of lees at the obttom now, so if it's slowed right down I'll rack this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
        how many rankings before stopping/finishing it?
        That's impossible to tell. Some of mine are done in 3 months, others have taken a year and 3 months (I rack monthly, just because it's easy to keep track that way)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I started this on the 30th of Jan, and it's stopped now - the airlock has evened out, and there are no bubble trails through the wine. I haven't yet racked as I've been so busy decorating our house. Should I rack now, or just bottle?

I think it's cleared, but it's not crystal clear - I did see it beginning to settle but to be honest it's taken a back seat with everything going on here.

Comment

You must rack it, and it must be clear

Comment

Ok, will do today. Does it go translucent like a 'shop bought' wine?

Do you leave yours to go clear, or do you add finnings (or whatever it's called )

Comment

It should do. I rack my wines every month until they're crystal clear. Some of them (teabag wines inc.) have a lot of sediment which needs to be racked off

I've never used finings ~ only one of my wines refused to clear (broad bean) so that got chucked (it was nasty anyway)

Comment

Ok thank you. I might give it a taste later during racking to see what it's like.

Comment

Tasting is obligatory. I just bottled september's raspberry wine, it's superb. Really fruity, clear as a bell ... totally contrary to what CJJ Berry said

Comment

• Crickey. Just racked it. Tastes so strong. There was a load of sediment, and I lost quite a bit with my first go of the syphon (all over the kitchen floor ). I now have about up to 2 inches below the shoulders of the DJ.

Initial reading was 1.100, which is now 0.994. Off to google how to work it out
                      Last edited by chris; 20-03-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• So.... (1.100 - 0.994) * 125 = ~13.25%

edit: I think?

Do I just leave it to clear now? How long does your tea bag wine usually take to clear? Do I need to top it up with water?
                        Last edited by chris; 20-03-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris View Post
                          I now have about up to 2 inches below the shoulders of the DJ
                          You're meant to keep oxygen out of the wine, so they recommend you top up to the neck with sugar syrup (I just use grape juice, it's easier). If you use plain boiled water, it will lower the alcohol

Originally posted by chris View Post
                          now 0.994.
                          Getting there. The magic number is 0.90

Move it into a warmer room and see if it gets active again

It's really worth waiting until it's properly fermented out, otherwise you'll have exploding bottles. Not good, esp. if it's in your friend's new kitchen on Xmas Day (blush smiley)

Comment

• Thank you - I'll pop and get some grape juice later on. It did start to ferment again, and it's in a south facing kitchen (warm!), but the airlock has now balanced out again. I'll see if the grape juice will give it a bit more sugar to feed on or what not

Comment

• [QUOTE=shirlthegirl43;240371]This recipe is from a wine making forum I belong to and all credit to Duffbeer for the gorgeous wine it makes.

Raspberry, Cranberry and Elderflower (Dry fruity light red)
                              For 1 gal

1 box Twinings t bags (16 or 20 in box ?)
                              2 ltrs red grape juice
                              1 tsp pectolase
                              1 tsp nutrient
                              1/2 t spoon tartaric acid (I used citric acid as that was what I had)
                              1 sachet Lalvin RC212 yeast (when I made it I used Youngs wine yeast)
                              Sugar to sg 1.080 or 1.090

Could somebody confirm for me please that this would just be the normal grape juice from the squash section or is it from the chiller cabinet (or even wine making grape juice?)
                              Ta

Comment

• Pure grape juice, not from concentrate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X