Fruit T bag wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    I confess to not racking it until it is clear Once ferment is finished SG will remain the same for two or three days and should be around 0.96. Reading back through this thread, I see that the 5 gallon batch I did was finished fermenting after about a fortnight.
    Loverly......I only got my DJs on sunday so I'm transferring them tonight so will test it as I move it.

I might do it now, just because

[ETA: - I'm doing it now. It's moved from 1.08 to 1.06. Just had a little mouthful and it's beautiful.

Whoop whoop

Ahem].
    Last edited by zazen999; 21-04-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
      Got mine all started yesterday. I have put in the ghouse to ferment out. I have scrolled to see how long before slurping time but cannot find it?
      Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
      I have just read subsequent threads!! Is it really that quick
      Watch out that the greenhouse isn't too warm - too high a temp will kill the yeastie beasties before they do their work!

Two weeks is till end of fermenting - clearing takes a bit more time.

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Loverly......I only got my DJs on sunday so I'm transferring them tonight so will test it as I move it.

I might do it now, just because

[ETA: - I'm doing it now. It's moved from 1.08 to 1.06. Just had a little mouthful and it's beautiful.

Whoop whoop

Ahem].
      Cheers make sure you get all the sediment transferred too or the ferment will slow considerably.
      Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 21-04-2010, 03:58 PM.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post

Cheers make sure you get all the sediment transferred too or the ferment will slow considerably.
        Have done guv.

Comment

I made a gallon batch of the fruit tea bag wine back in July 2008 and we drank the last bottle in April 2009. It was enjoyed in September 2008, REALLY enjoyed in December 2008 and by April of the next year it was one of those wines that I only serve to people who I know are really going to appreciate it! (I can be quite possessive over some bottles - NOBODY touches the raspberry without permission and a suitably large glass for me!) I've now decided to make wine in minimum batches of two gallons because one just isn't enough. I also tried the tea bag wine with Dr. Stuart's Echinacea Plus. I particularly like this as a fruit tea but I'm not that enamoured of it once turned into wine. Maybe it will improve with age...

Comment

I took a litre bottle of Shirl's fab wine and it went down a storm: I had to give David On The Committee a bottle of his own today
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I too give the shirley wine a thumbs up. It really was very moreish after just a couple of weeks. And, I could not tell the difference between that and bought wine.
              Last edited by Brengirl; 29-06-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Glad everyone is enjoying it
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Tesco has Twinings Fruit Teabags on special offer: I've just stocked up.

Comment

Just a note to say - these have been going down very well! Thanks!

Blackberry and nettle is fab! Might get a fresh batch on the go tonight!
                    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

I bought a bag of 40 of Sainsbury's [I think] rosehip teabags and made 2 gallons a few weeks back; and am happily quaffing the first glass tonight. Lush! Best yet. Hic.

Comment

I have just collected 6 DJs (3 clear, 3 brown) from ebay - looking forward to trying this one Took me a while to find it, TS recommended I check out the thread before (couple of years ago I think).

Now I just need to sort out some brewing bin, and some bottles to bottle it in afterwards (and corks I guess?) and I think I'm all set!

Comment

You won't need bottles or corks for a while, just get airlocks, syphon tube & a food grade plastic bucket with lid

Comment

Everything has turned up... except the nutrient, pectolase and citric acid. *grumble*.

fancied having a go at this, this weekend! No local homebrew shops around me either, gah!

Comment

Shouldn't need pectolase for this one, it simply removes the pectin (if any) in whatever fruit you might use.
                              Citric acid should be available from the Chemist shop (you'll have to tell them it's for winemaking)
                              Yeast nutrient is very helpful, but if it turns up a day or so after you get things going, that shouldn't be a disaster.
                              Last edited by Hilary B; 28-01-2012, 09:38 PM.
                              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelly View Post
                                I made a gallon batch of the fruit tea bag wine back in July 2008 and we drank the last bottle in April 2009. It was enjoyed in September 2008, REALLY enjoyed in December 2008 and by April of the next year it was one of those wines that I only serve to people who I know are really going to appreciate it! (I can be quite possessive over some bottles - NOBODY touches the raspberry without permission and a suitably large glass for me!) I've now decided to make wine in minimum batches of two gallons because one just isn't enough. I also tried the tea bag wine with Dr. Stuart's Echinacea Plus. I particularly like this as a fruit tea but I'm not that enamoured of it once turned into wine. Maybe it will improve with age...
                                Berry in THE winemaking book comments on making wine in bigger batches that "it is just as easy to make 5 gallons as one, and it lasts nearly twice as long"
                                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X