Hazel's Parsnip Wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazel's Parsnip Wine

So, having tried my hand at a Wilko wine kit, I'm now ready to have a bash at my own parsnip wine.

I'm starting a thread so that I can record how it goes, and so that you can all chuck in your two penn'th.

A couple of observations before I start - one is that making wine from root veg still leaves the root veg usable (thank you, Brewer Again, I would not have thought of that) which means that I am not brewing wine to use up the European Parsnip Mountain, I am brewing wine as well as having the European Parsnip Mountain.

The other is that when I went into the Brew shop to get peptic enzyme (as called for by C J J Berry in his First Steps in Winemaking book), and the Brew man said that I should use amylase instead - peptic enzyme is used to clear the pectin from fruit based wines, amylase is used to clear the starch from veg based wines.

Came home re-checked the book - the Brew man is right about the pectin/starch thing, so why does the 'recipe' clearly call for peptic enzyme and not amylase??

This tiny hurdle apart, I'm ready to go!

I'll be watching this with interest Hazel!

What are you planning to do with the parsnips afterwards?
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
      Came home re-checked the book - the Brew man is right about the pectin/starch thing, so why does the 'recipe' clearly call for peptic enzyme and not amylase??
      This tiny hurdle apart, I'm ready to go!
      Oops, praps that's why my parsnip wine wasn't that great - I would've followed the CJ Berry recipe and used peptic enzyme

Looking forward to "watching" the great Sutton Coldfield experiment
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Go Hazel!!!

Now, I wonder why I had to buy amylase for my banana wine? Maybe dear Mr Berry got muddled with his parsnips and bananas?
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Seem to remember using ground up eggshells to clear mine! very organic!

Just out of interest I harvested a parsnip today out of my 6" pipe experiment. Pipe was 4 foot long and the roots came out of the bottom and into the soil!

After a struggle I managed to get the parsnip out and one of the allotment regulars spotted me carrying it home with some other veggies for the Sunday dinner. He told me it would have won most of the local shows and that my single parsnip should feed a family of five!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shall be watching this thread.. i too have parsnip heap.
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Seem to remember using ground up eggshells to clear mine! very organic!

Just out of interest I harvested a parsnip today out of my 6" pipe experiment. Pipe was 4 foot long and the roots came out of the bottom and into the soil!

After a struggle I managed to get the parsnip out and one of the allotment regulars spotted me carrying it home with some other veggies for the Sunday dinner. He told me it would have won most of the local shows and that my single parsnip should feed a family of five!
              Just curious Snadger, how much of the length was useable? I've seen several pics of 'prize winning' parsnips where all but the top bit looked like a long piece of string! Suspect you've done better than that if yours will feed five!!!
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Ok - first take your parsnips....

I'm doing half quantities (makes it all a bit more manageable!) so I need 3 1/2 lbs parsnips, which is 3 big beauties like the ones below.

It says 'scrub then scrape the parsnips...' BOY! is that a tedius job!! So now some spark is going to tell me that I could have peeled them...?

'Then slice and boil the parsnips in the water till tender...' Well, they're still in chunks, but I guess that's ok, and here they are in the maslin pan (only one I've got which is big enough!) and they're on the hob now.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmm - where's my second piccy...?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                    What are you planning to do with the parsnips afterwards?
                    Well, I was thinking of either making soup, or just mashing and freezing them. Suspect they will be 'put on one side' until tomorrow - have seen enough of parsnips today...!

Comment

Never mind the parsnips (which I may say look splendido) I am soooo coveting the maslin pan

Comment

Roast them in butter and make roast parsnip soup - delish!

Comment

Parsnips cooked as per, and the next instruction is to drain the parsnips. Well, here's another sticking point...

CJJ Berry bangs on about cooking the parsnips until tender - but defo not letting the parsnip go mushy, or the wine may not clear. Then you strain the parsnips though a coarse cloth, left to drain on their own, 'not hurrying the process in any way'. He makes quite a big deal about this.

Ok, CJJ, if you've cooked the parsnip till-tender-but-not-mushy, why don't you just either (a) fish out the parsnip with a slotted spoon or (b) strain through a seive/colander??

Parsnips are now duly draining (erm - sitting in the sieve )...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                            Ok, CJJ, if you've cooked the parsnip till-tender-but-not-mushy, why don't you just either (a) fish out the parsnip with a slotted spoon or (b) strain through a seive/colander??

Parsnips are now duly draining (erm - sitting in the sieve )...
                            Maybe his wife wouldn't let him borrow it? Can I bag a seat at the tasting please Hazel?
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                              Can I bag a seat at the tasting please Hazel?
                              'Course you can, hon!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X